• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is Spider-man's greatest villain

• Green Goblin

Votes: 584 69.4%
  • Doc Ock

Votes: 139 16.5%
  • Venom

Votes: 119 14.1%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
icvweveldcc11.png

Whenever his rent is due.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Venom isn't even third.

For a time he really was one of the best villains. The character just became a victim of its own success with oversaturation during the 90's. When Venom was first introduced in the 80's his unique insight into Peter's life through the symbiote's memories along with their innate ability to bypass his spider sense, it allowed them to write stories that were unlike anything that had been seen in a Spider-Man comic before with how he stalks Peter like a slasher villain. It made for some great tense moments like Peter visiting Aunt May and is shocked to see Brock hanging out with her blissfully unaware of what's really going on.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doc Ock. Post ressurection Norman sucks ass and has diluted his legacy.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Doc Ock and Goblin have done the most damage to him, but I think I'd give it to Norman. Venom has been a Spider-Man fanboy for as long as he was a nemesis at this point.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Doc Ock is Spidey's nemesis, Norman is Peter's and yes there is a difference.

And as someone who never liked the Goblin being resurrected and that he should have stayed dead I do honestly feel the way Spencer is writing and using him right now almost justifies it...almost.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I dunno, Doc Ock was definitely his premiere bad guy before the Goblin took over. Like, forming the Sinister Six, killing Betty Brant's brother, the Master Planner arc. Killed Captain Stacy, too, albeit indirectly. His star fell pretty hard through the 70s, though, probably since killing Gwen put Green Goblin "on top," and he was killed off so there wasn't any chance to fuck up that dominance.

Which I think is sort of a shame, since Ock and Venom are more obvious "foils" than the Goblin is, thematically speaking. But you can't really fight what sticks.

Yeah, Ock really started off strong, but I think future writers didn't have the same appreciation for him, so he became the "we need a tech villain" guy.

Norman's definitely a less obvious foil, but he presents interesting conflict - being "the little guy" is integral to Pete's character, and Pete vs Norman is "the little guy" versus "the big guy" made manifest. Pete's just a scrappy poor kid, while Norman's a rich industrialist. Spider-Man turns highschool science projects into armaments, Goblin uses military tech to torment a child.

Anyway, I change my vote to White Rabbit.

whiterabbit_480x640.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Vancouver
For a time he really was one of the best villains. The character just became a victim of its own success with oversaturation during the 90's. When Venom was first introduced in the 80's his unique insight into Peter's life through the symbiote's memories along with their innate ability to bypass his spider sense, it allowed them to write stories that were unlike anything that had been seen in a Spider-Man comic before with how he stalks Peter like a slasher villain. It made for some great tense moments like Peter visiting Aunt May and is shocked to see Brock hanging out with her blissfully unaware of what's really going on.

Read through Amazing last year and you're right it was an interesting dynamic when he was first introduced. But it didn't last long and then he went to live on that island.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely Gobby. He's had some of the deepest effects on Spidey. It's kind of a toss up for second place though. I lean toward Venom but I'm biased since he was my favorite villain as a kid.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
1. Green Goblin - The Nemesis. Strongest personal; relationship and most personally impactful attacks.
2. Doctor Octopus - The Heavy. Has had some of the biggest reaching schemes, and formed the Sinister Six.
3. Venom - The Doppleganger. Largely ranks high because he's a dark mirror of Spider-Man. Personal stakes aren't as high as with Norman, citywide stakes aren't as high as with Otto.

Honorable Mention: Kingpin - Really more of a Daredevil villain, but also has a history as a top-tier Spider-Man nemesis. Took on the Nemesis role in the 90s animated series when Green Goblin was dead in the comics and Hobgoblin was the active Goblin.

FatPuppy

Jun 18, 2018
It was Doc Ock for the longest time, then Green Goblin killed Gwen Stacey...but Osborn also died and was absent for a decade or two while other Goblins emerged, so Doc Ock still kind of filled the nemesis slot but not as tightly.

Then Osborn came back to life and took the title for good.

DJConvoy

Jan 8, 2021
Goblin, but if you're seeing Spidey from a causal perspective, I'd assume Venom or Doc Ock would be more recognizable.

jiggyfresh

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-man doesn't have the rogues gallery that someone like Batman does (who does, though). Peter's greatest enemy is always himself, and the cost of his personal relationships at the expense of using his powers to save others. That's the conceit that's set up in the very first issue and still the defining battle that makes Spider-man so good. He isn't there to fight Thanos, he's there to stop a robbery at his local bodega on his way to dinner and his tardiness will escalate existing tensions. That's Spider-man, and you don't need an arch nemesis to tell those stories.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Venom is quite easily the most popular out of the 3, but he aint SM's nemesis, most of the time it isn't even an antagonist to Peter.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
You all laugh at the people saying quesada but the amount of suffering and sabotage spidey goes through from various editors and publishers living their midlife crises through him makes all his villains look like old friends by comparison. The unnatural angles they will bend at to avoid letting peter have any kind of stable job or relationship is unfathomable, non-euclidian.

Last edited:

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Osborn, he's made him suffer the most
Venom and Ock are good but Venom hasn't been a villain for like years

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
It's Osborn and it's not even close. He hates him in a way that he hates no other villain. Osborn has caused serious lasting damages to Peter that he has never recovered from like Gwen and Peter as shown in the recent arc is so tired of his shit he's willing to let him die.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
At first it was Dr. Octopus, all the way up until Osborn killed Gwen...and then it was still Doc Ock because Norman promptly died right after the Gwen thing. It wasn't until the Clone Saga that Norman came back but when he did, he took the top spot immediately, and even with Superior Spider-Man Norman's still up in the top spot.

Venom wasn't really ever an option for it, and that's because Venom was too popular. It didn't take long after his debut for him to get his own book, and become an anti-hero/lethal protector, which is why we got Carnage as a replacement who could be super evil all the time.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-man doesn't have the rogues gallery that someone like Batman does (who does, though). Peter's greatest enemy is always himself, and the cost of his personal relationships at the expense of using his powers to save others. That's the conceit that's set up in the very first issue and still the defining battle that makes Spider-man so good. He isn't there to fight Thanos, he's there to stop a robbery at his local bodega on his way to dinner and his tardiness will escalate existing tensions. That's Spider-man, and you don't need an arch nemesis to tell those stories.

I would say Spidey absolutely has a top-tier roster of villains. He's up there with Batman, probably a close #2 behind Batman's #1, then it's a big drop to anyone else after them.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yeah, Ock really started off strong, but I think future writers didn't have the same appreciation for him, so he became the "we need a tech villain" guy.

Norman's definitely a less obvious foil, but he presents interesting conflict - being "the little guy" is integral to Pete's character, and Pete vs Norman is "the little guy" versus "the big guy" made manifest. Pete's just a scrappy poor kid, while Norman's a rich industrialist. Spider-Man turns highschool science projects into armaments, Goblin uses military tech to torment a child.

Anyway, I change my vote to White Rabbit.

whiterabbit_480x640.jpg
Funny enough I purchased a Marvel Legends figure of her today.

She is one of my partner's and mine favorite Spidey minor villains.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would say Spidey absolutely has a top-tier roster of villains. He's up there with Batman, probably a close #2 behind Batman's #1, then it's a big drop to anyone else after them.

The Fantastic Four have Dr. Doom and Galactus. (And then they have a lot of villains nobody cares about, but Doom and Galactus are so strong they carry the FF's rogues gallery by themselves.)

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goblin, feels like the one that's done the most damage and stuck around the most.

Venom is sidetracked by Marvel trying to make him a hero every now and then.