• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is Sephiroth's father?

• Professor Hojo

• Vincent Valentine

• Other?

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fan art, photoshop of younger Hojo. I can definitely see Sephiroth growing to look more like Hojo if he didn't take care of himself, or pursued his god quest and instead lived as a shinra employee.

The trailer for FFVII: The First Soldier has a glimpse at young Hojo

ezXK3fH.png

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Why is this a debate? I thought it was clear in the original game's flashback that Lucretia conceived a child with Hojo, then he experimented on her fetus by injecting Jenova cells into it. Vincent was never intimate with her, but they may have been friends.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I was always under the impression back in the day that Hojo had raped Lucrecia. But it's possibly because I found Hojo so repulsive that it was the only way I could see Lucrecia getting impregnated by him...

Anyway, it's obviously Hojo and that was never a debate.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Definitely Hojo.

Dirge gives disturbing details on the lengths he went through to obtain Sephiroth.

In regards to the statement: "He looks nothing like Hojo" Dirge showed that Sephiroth got ALL his looks from Lucrecia. They look insanely alike.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
It's Hojo despite some people wishing otherwise. It being Vincent would make one of the parents not garbage but that's not the point. Nothing pints to Vincent at all.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was always under the impression back in the day that Hojo had raped Lucrecia. But it's possibly because I found Hojo so repulsive that it was the only way I could see Lucrecia getting impregnated by him...

That was the original plan according the Ultimania Guides. Hojo was meant to have drugged her, but Square thought it was too iffy so they rewrote the backstory to make it so that she was not forced.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
That was the original plan according the Ultimania Guides. Hojo was meant to have drugged her, but Square thought it was too iffy so they rewrote the backstory to make it so that she was not forced.

One could argue that regardless of the scenario, Hojo manipulated her. The question is, did she consent to being experimented on?

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017

Anyway, it's obviously Hojo and that was never a debate.
Lucrecia is a name associated with rape. The rape of Lucretia is a founding myth of "Roman womanhood." (She killed herself afterwards. It's a toxic story of women internalizing themselves as their husbands' property).

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
So you admit that the Ultimania leaves it very clear that Hojo is the father, then? :P
lol

Lucrecia is a name associated with rape. The rape of Lucretia is a founding myth of "Roman womanhood." (She killed herself afterwards. It's a toxic story of women internalizing themselves as their husbands' property).
Yeah, I don't think my teenage self knew about this haha. So somehow I got this impression without knowing about the Roman myth. But that's pretty good evidence I'd say, they had to know choosing that name on purpose...

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to see the remake expand on the (love?) triangle between Hojo, Lucretia and Vincent. Moreover, since it's assumed Sephiroth has time traveled to the past and presumably has the knowledge of who his parents are, then maybe he'll want to change history by killing Hojo or something. It could be interesting if Sephiroth met with Lucretia at some point during the remake.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Me, someone who knows next to nothing about FF VII and Kingdom Hearts' lore:

wat?

KH doesn't mention Jenova at all, don't put this on KH!

…KH lore on Cloud and Sephiroth in particular is actually kinda weird given how it handles the other 7 (and 8) characters. And meanwhile Zack was around 10 years in the past (hanging out in Olympus, just like Cloud ended up doing) but was never mentioned again by anyone.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
KH doesn't mention Jenova at all, don't put this on KH!

…KH lore on Cloud and Sephiroth in particular is actually kinda weird given how it handles the other 7 (and 8) characters. And meanwhile Zack was around 10 years in the past (hanging out in Olympus, just like Cloud ended up doing) but was never mentioned again by anyone.
Look it's simple.

Cloud is Zack's Nobody and Sephiroth is Zack's Heartless.

And Tifa is the sentient embodiment of Cloud's light or something.

One of these two lines is real, probably.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
OP I think this is the Dirge of Cerberus quote you are looking for.

There is a pronounced pause and then a 'are you sure...?' Which feels to me can be read in a few different ways.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't really something up for debate IMO?

The game, the Ultimania, even Dirge all say the same thing on the subject.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could've sworn Hojo himself said he was the father in the game.
This isn't really something up for debate IMO?

The game, the Ultimania, even Dirge all say the same thing on the subject.
He does, yeah.

But isn't it cooler to think that brooding bad boy vampire gunslinger Vincent Valentine is Sephiroth's father???

It's tragic or whatever! Vincent kills his son!

Here's my fan art of Vincent cradling his dead son!

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you run away with Vincent when you could stay and raise a baby with a guy that acts creepy enough that he should be on the FBI's wanted list due to the content of their hard drive?