• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best Joker

• Jared Leto (Suicide Squad)

Votes: 46 2.5%
  • Joaquin Phoenix (Joker)

Votes: 99 5.4%
  • Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight)

Votes: 789 42.8%
  • Mark Hamill (Batman Animated Series)

Votes: 699 37.9%
  • Jack Nicholson (Tim Burton Batman)

Votes: 134 7.3%
  • Cesar Romero (Batman TV Series)

Votes: 52 2.8%
  • Cameron Monaghan (Gotham)

Votes: 26 1.4%

• Total voters

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Heath Ledger's Joker is the GOAT for me. I've seen TDK countless times and even then, I still don't even see Heath. I just see the Joker. Heath disappeared into that role in a way I've rarely seen anyone ever do. Just an incredible performance.

Nov 2, 2019
Nicholson having only 40ish votes more than Leto... SMH

For me, Batman and the Joker are and will always be Keaton and Nicholson. Best Batmobile is also Burton Batmobile.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
What makes this especially difficult is the vastly varying amount of time that each of these people spent as Joker. It's not easy to try to compare Hamill's time as Joker spanning around 25 years to someone who's in one movie regardless of how iconic they were in that movie.

Still giving it to Hamill despite the difficulty of the choice though. Not only is he excellent as TAS Joker, he's also excellent as the Arkham series Joker, and although he's clearly bringing a lot of the same energy to that role, they are two distinct characters, and both of them are the definitive version of Joker within their primary medium. That isn't true for any other iteration of Joker in any medium.

Although I think Hamill is the best answer, given the time disparity involved, perhaps it's worth saying that I think Ledger had the best single performance as Joker, and also that I think Monaghan probably had the single best few minutes in the role, in his very first appearance on Gotham during that last police interview/interrogation scene. That scene starts off as a routine wrap-up of an investigation and within the space of it, Monaghan's performance table-flips the tone of the episode and the character. They might not have been allowed to call him Joker, but he earned it right then anyway.

Tudyk should be on the poll instead of Leto.

Can Mark Hamil be considered? He just voices him. That's like saying voice actors should be considered for best actor awards.
If Hamill wasn't on the poll then 90% of the topic would consist of people rightly asking why Hamill wasn't on the poll.

Voice actors deserve to be considered for things like this, and I'd say that's even more true for Joker than for most other characters, and I think it's also clear how hard Hamill worked to make sure that his voice acting matched up to (and influenced) the visual portion of his animated Joker characters. Probably the single best demonstration of how good Hamill's voice acting is as a Joker characterisation is Arkham Asylum, where the Joker can't be on-screen all the time, so is constantly on the radio to his thugs and to Batman instead. That the Joker feels so twistedly and constantly present throughout that game is almost purely down to Hamill's voice work.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
4qu4rsA.jpg

Romero > Hamill > Ledger > Whoever Does Joker in Harley Quinn > Nicholson > The Rest > Literally Any Joker Cosplayer > Leto
I see your a person of taste.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Ledger
Hamill
Phoenix

In that order. What's impressive is that Phoenix ranks that high for me and was only the character for 15 minutes.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I voted Joaquin, although I wonder if it's just because I've seen the Ledger movie so many times that it doesn't have the same impact. Both are wonderful.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
Ledger was both a great performance and a greatly written character, in part because he's not given any backstory or humanity. If we know everything of Bale's Batman, we know nothing of Ledgers Joker; He's just a force of nature.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Like anything batman that is actually the best version is the animated series, so Mark Hamill, although as a spaniard i should say Luis Bajo (series) and Jose Padilla (games), as its really their versions the ones that i grew up with. Still same character and same charismatic voices as Hamill.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Ledger wins, but the talk show scene in Joker is that character's best moment on film, bolstered by Joaquin's performance.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's still acting. They should be eligible.

And saying things like "the same level" and "he just voices him" is still making a value assessment.
They're not. A lot of voice actors aren't good actors. See Mark Hamill as an example. Yes, he can do a good voice for Joker but he doesn't know how to physically act like Joker.

They aren't the same level. You are attributing value points to that. You're trying to make to smudge what I said.

It is a voice acting role, and those should be given their own category because it requires a specific skill set.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are many different takes on the role and it's unfair to really compare some of them, but my overall favorite is Phoenix since he really makes the character feel like more than just a one track evil villain.

There is nothing wrong with Heath Ledgers take that I also love, it's just a very different character and Ledger really delivers on the concept of the Joker being an insane rebel out to cause chaos to prove a point.

Two very distinct and remarkable takes on an iconic role, I'm very curious if they do more with Phoenix.

I also didn't hate Leto's Joker, the guy is an asshole but he's a tremendous actor whose take got butchered by so many aspects of the production being poor, I could still see him do a good Joker if given a better script and direction.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
They're not. A lot of voice actors aren't good actors. See Mark Hamill as an example. Yes, he can do a good voice for Joker but he doesn't know how to physically act like Joker.

They aren't the same level. You are attributing value points to that. You're trying to make to smudge what I said.

It is a voice acting role, and those should be given their own category because it requires a specific skill set.

I don't know how you can claim "aren't the same level" isn't a value statement.

And if you ever saw Hamill in the booth you'd very much rethink that statement.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales

the-flash-mark-hamill-will-once-again-play-the-tri_re8w.jpg

Close enough.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know how you can claim "aren't the same level" isn't a value statement.

And if you ever saw Hamill in the booth you'd very much rethink that statement.
There is no need to rethink that statement. I have seen Hamil in other work besides Star Wars and Joker voice roles.

But you can make some form of movement to include voice acting into best acting award spots. You will need to include every facet of acting, then, like stunt work, CGI facial work, and arguably CGI motion creators. But there is a reason why committees seperate these because the masses will vote for Daniel Day Lewis over Mark Hamil's voice acting. They're not the same. Trying to hold voice acting as the same as screen or stage acting isn't reasonable because both require very different skill sets.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Based on the Gotham clips I've seen, Cameron Monaghan is an intensely cringe Joker.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I like my multiple choice Joker so I ain't picking only one. Hamill, Ledger and Phoenix are up there.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
There is no need to rethink that statement. I have seen Hamil in other work besides Star Wars and Joker voice roles.

But you can make some form of movement to include voice acting into best acting award spots. You will need to include every facet of acting, then, like stunt work, CGI facial work, and arguably CGI motion creators. But there is a reason why committees seperate these because the masses will vote for Daniel Day Lewis over Mark Hamil's voice acting. They're not the same. Trying to hold voice acting as the same as screen or stage acting isn't reasonable because both require very different skill sets.

I'm just gonna say I think what you're saying is incredibly reductive and move on.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I just rewatched the TDK Interrogation scene. It absolutely is Ledger and it's not even close.

Give me one other live action Joker sequence that is close to that.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Hamill wins, easily.
Ledger was the best live action version.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I'm partial to Nicholson, but also recognize that I was the perfect age for the Batman '89 wave. He's probably the best at the crime boss side of the character, and this moment is an all-timer:

But definitely don't sleep on Cesar Romero. Every subsequent performance owes a debt to his interpretation, especially the laugh.