• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Interesting point brought up on twitter

Millions of dollars are being donated to this nebulous organization, but with zero transparency. And apparently Shaun King is involved? Where is the money going? How do we know it's being well used? Apparently there was a reddit AMA on this exact concern and they dodged every question. We need answers.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How organized is it?

I've been reading on the capitol hill autonomous zone and people keep bringing up the same valid point.

This feels like Occupy Wall Street. In that its a good movement but lacks clear goals/organization so the message keeps getting muddled and it eventually fizzles out.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
BLM is decentralized. The accountability rests in each organization acting within the larger movement.

There's gonna be grifters, there always is. But that's not really all that important to focus on.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I had this concern, too. Almost two weeks ago, I donated to the bail defense fund in Minneapolis, but they didn't need more a couple days later. Yesterday, I wanted to donate again and felt that the BLM page didn't explain well how the money was used, so I instead donated to TGI Justice Project.

My friend asked who she should donate to yesterday, and I told her to give to our local bail defense fund. Big orgs getting millions upon millions made me thing local was the better option for donating.

Oct 27, 2017
This is what some posters on this forum are concerned about.

Pretty fucking telling. Same shit I see from privileged, entitled white people on Facebook screaming bloody murder about the 14 million donated to George Floyd's family through GoFundMe.

Ya'll ain't sneaky.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
It was dizzying (especially as someone outside the US) working out how to donate money last week, partly for this reason. There are so many organisations and it felt very difficult to work out who to donate to. In the end I gave some money to a personal appeal a Facebook friend posted for bail for their neighbour, the main BLM website, and soon I'll donate to the NAACP too.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer BLM to not have any obvious centralized leadership/leaders. Much safer that way.

Also, if you are donating large sums of money to anything you should be doing basic research. If you just see BLM and press send thats silly.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Pretty fucking telling. Same shit I see from privileged, entitled white people on Facebook screaming bloody murder about the 14 million donated to George Floyd's family through GoFundMe.

Ya'll ain't sneaky.
Maybe people just want to make sure the money they are donating is going where it is needed.

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
How organized is it?

I've been reading on the capitol hill autonomous zone and people keep bringing up the same valid point.

This feels like Occupy Wall Street. In that its a good movement but lacks clear goals/organization so the message keeps getting muddled and it eventually fizzles out.
BLM is decentralized. The accountability rests in each organization acting within the larger movement.

There's gonna be grifters, there always is. But that's not really all that important to focus on.

blacklivesmatter.com

About - Black Lives Matter

Get involved in the Fight for Black lives. Contact a local chapter, make a donation, make a purchase, and find resources and actions.

There does seem to be a central organisation which you can donate to directly, which I think is what this thread is about.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting point brought up on twitter

Millions of dollars are being donated to this nebulous organization, but with zero transparency. And apparently Shaun King is involved? Where is the money going? How do we know it's being well used? Apparently there was a reddit AMA on this exact concern and they dodged every question. We need answers.

Not to derail, but that person you are retweeting is supporting TERFing.

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a little weird the website ends in .com, feels a little off

hopefully it's just me reading into it too much

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe people just want to make sure the money they are donating is going where it is needed.
Maybe. Or maybe they don't.

Gotta wonder when certain people have remained completely silent on systemic racism and police brutality the past couple of weeks but they make their voices heard in this thread.

As always though, stay away from the grifter Shaun King. He's a worthless piece of attention seeking shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

I think people just want to make sure their money is going to a good purpose. I don't think anyone is losing focus on the issues at stake.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
The public. If they're registered as a non-profit you can look all their spending up for the most part.just need to know which chapter and all that.

Directory of Charities and Nonprofit Organizations

Please browse our directory of nonprofit and charity organizations looking for your donations and support. Make a difference today and support a local charity!

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
blacklivesmatter.com

About - Black Lives Matter

Get involved in the Fight for Black lives. Contact a local chapter, make a donation, make a purchase, and find resources and actions.

There does seem to be a central organisation which you can donate to directly, which I think is what this thread is about.

Yeah, I donated to that one, I think they utilize Act Blue's funding mechanism.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
their non profit status?

OR..

like any other charity. Ever. You just give money in the hopes they're doing the right thing...after you feel comfortable giving them $.

interesting OP tho.

Of all times, now is the time to scrutinize donations to BLM specifically. Indeed.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Are they any laws regarding public disclosure of expenses for these types of organizations? You'd expect them to do so willingly, but that might help in distinguishing reputable organizations from bad actors.

I get super concerned when donating/promoting anything, especially knowing that a lot of existing charitable organizations swallow up a lot of funds in administrative costs. It's not a crazy concern to have, especially if you value donating to charities that do more (vs. less) efficient work/impact with their money, even if it's for the same cause.

Given the immediate need, I've been doing less research and donating to what I see most commonly mentioned, but I do that knowing that how often I see something is not a judge of it's quality.

Oct 27, 2017
I think people just want to make sure their money is going to a good purpose. I don't think anyone is losing focus on the issues at stake.
There's a 25,000 reply thread that's been going on for over 2 weeks now where multiple posters have posted an extensive list of reputable organizations to donate to.

It wasn't that hard to miss if they actually decided to enter the thread and ask like so many others did.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Isn't BLM (Foundation) a 501(c)(3)? By law they're required to produced a publicly available 990 every year that should detail a decent amount as to where that money is going. Granted, you probably won't see 2020's 990 until 2022-2023, but these things aren't exactly a total mystery.

Hopefully they do provide a transparent and more timely breakdown as to what their surge in funds is going towards though.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
OP, I'm not gonna accuse you of anything. I'll just say this:

1. The person who asked for accountability can find it, if they really care. The answers are readily & openly available.

2. Who gives a fuck? Niggas is dying.

Oct 25, 2017
their non profit status?

OR..

like any other charity. Ever. You just give money in the hopes they're doing the right thing...after you feel comfortable giving them $.

interesting OP tho.

Of all times, now is the time to scrutinize donations to BLM specifically. Indeed.

I think there might have been confusion is on the specific wording on that news tweet. There IS a 'Black Lives Matter Foundation' based out of Santa Clarita that is quite small by the looks of it on Charity Navigator, and doesn't have a 990 on file since 2017. I think it's just an mistaken capitalization of 'Foundation' though.

Oct 25, 2017
OP, I'm not gonna accuse you of anything. I'll just say this:

1. The person who asked for accountability can find it, if they really care. The answers are readily & openly available.

2. Who gives a fuck? Niggas is dying.
I mean the second point is kinda a non starter considering money is supposed to be going to organizations that are fighting for black lives. While I don't know the intentions of the OP, a lot of black activists have been asking why everyone's giving to BLM and not other organizations as well.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
I just saw this being shared on social media, thought I would post it here. Havent read it entirely yet. Seems related;

I am Kailee Scales, Managing Director for Black Lives Matter. Ask me anything.

www.reddit.com

r/IAmA - I am Kailee Scales, Managing Director for Black Lives Matter. Ask me anything.

23,425 votes and 2,352 comments so far on Reddit

That thing has been brigaded by all the hate subreddits to try to diminish and demean that poor woman.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Is this not specifically questioning blacklivesmatter.com site?

According to linkedin, this is their current CEO:

EDIT: This is most likely fake, but there's not much I know about the organization Black Lives Matter Global Network. There seems to be valid concerns about this specific organization

Last edited:

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017

Ya'll ain't sneaky.

All of the concerns I've seen raised about BLM as an organization rather than a movement have been from black activists.

data

Oct 25, 2017

Ya'll ain't sneaky.
I think it's specifically Black Lives Matter Global Network that John Cena donated to, not the movement itself.

Is this not specifically questioning blacklivesmatter.com site?

According to linkedin, this is their current CEO:

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017

data

Oct 25, 2017
What protections are in place to make sure the information on LinkedIn is even correct?

I don't actually know. Not an avid user.

Do you have anything else, googling this and all it turns up is some goofy soundcloud page?

I was reading this thread and honestly have no idea how charities work.

Thanks to:

Isn't BLM (Foundation) a 501(c)(3)? By law they're required to produced a publicly available 990 every year that should detail a decent amount as to where that money is going. Granted, you probably won't see 2020's 990 until 2022-2023, but these things aren't exactly a total mystery.

Hopefully they do provide a transparent and more timely breakdown as to what their surge in funds is going towards though.

I've been looking for their 2019 990. I've found Black Lives Matter Foundation which is a Santa Clara based one, but the one that is Black Lives Matter Global Network is based in Berkeley.

This is legitimately why I've been looking for information on blacklivesmatter.com because some people have expressed concerns. I don't believe the twitter person is supporting TERFing and asking valid questions of this specific organization and not the whole movement.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that if White people are asking this it's pretty suspect, but if it's Black activists who are raising these concerns then it's well worth to consider them.

OP
OP
Goodstyle

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Ya'll ain't sneaky.
I'm black! Stop making assumptions you weirdo.

If you seriously think I'm saying no one should donate to ANY organization, you are way too online. Get a life.

Accountability is fucking important. It's not a white concern, countless black activists would agree with me. The people who think I'm doing the "just asking questions" shit need to get outside their media bubble and follow more black people.