• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is cooler, Vergil or Sephiroth?

• Vergil

Votes: 628 58.8%
  • Sephiroth

Votes: 440 41.2%

• Total voters

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
The storm that is approaching. All the way. In every way.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sephiroth is a character you think is cool as a kid, then grow up to realize he's not that cool (but an interesting character nonetheless)

Vergil is a character you think is cool as a kid, grow up to realize is just as dumb and silly as the games he's from, but somehow that makes him cooler

Oct 27, 2017
14 year old me would have said Sephiroth.

35 year old me thinks they're both one cringeworthy soliloquy short of a fedora.

TheChits

Oct 25, 2017
Vergil is potentially the best rival character in gaming. He takes this without question

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At this point Vergil and his fans nearly ruined DMC for me.

I just don't understand the appeal of the douchebag and why everyone keeps wanting his ass to come back instead of Trish and Lady getting some actual push.

Voted Sephiroth but I don't overly care for him.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I don't even play the DMC series but will choose Vergil. He keeps reminding me of a Joseph Gordon-Lewitt.

Sephiroth's just some boring anime edgelord.

I'm not into FF, but from afar, Sepiroth's look always fit my type. I even think, I got the idea to put flames behind Vergil from Sepiroth standing in flames. (Also blue-orange just rules.)
But I really don't know anything further about him.
Vergil on the other hand is my husbando#1 and I'm unhealthy obsessed with DMC's stupid lore. You might as well set him up against anyone else - my vote would always go to him. <3

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Vergil is definitely cooler. Sephiroth has more of an interesting character; at least, up until he becomes a cackling villain towards the end.

Alark

Mar 16, 2018
They are both great but Vergil is my favourite video game character so obviously Vergil.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know anything about Sephiroth as I haven't played FF7 but Vergil is awesome so I choose him.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
They both have mother issues. But I guess Vergil is slightly less worse in that regard.

Oct 30, 2017
OldfashionedUnsteadyAsianpiedstarling-size_restricted.gif

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Vergil isn't a traditional villain like Sephiroth but more like an anti-hero, the coolest anti-hero in video games. No question, sorry.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Vergil. I don't really like Sephiroth outside of original FFVII. Vergil has been cool in every game he's been in so far.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really into DMC so can't really say. I really enjoyed Sephiroth's origin and motivation in the first half of FF VII, but I think he became less interesting as time went on, he just shows up, looks cool, says cryptic nonsense, and his voice actor lacks gravitas in the remake.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Vergil but Im extremely biased. Sephiroth is very cool tho, and both fit the archetypes really well, but I think Vergil edges out because I feel there's more to him especially after V's existence, where as Sephiroth is kinda one-note when you really boil him down.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Sephiroth canonically uses up three whole bottles of shampoo every time he washes his hair.

He's much cooler.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Vergil. The king of boss fights. But he is also a deadbeat dad and steals his son's arm and creates a demonic hell's ape because he was impotent.
Sephiroth has a looooonnggggg katana because he has a tiny dick.

Vergil wins because his dick is bigger.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The important thing about Vergil is that he's cool, but there's enough nuance to make him a more compelling character, like that he turned himself into the ultimate POWER edgelord because he's afraid of losing what's important to him again.

Sephiroth also looks cool, but he's basically a character design and that's it. His foibles in FFVII (chief among them being he's as delusional as Cloud and seeking the same kind of acceptance) have to be inferred.