• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cloud's true love

• Tifa

Votes: 1,438 73.8%
  • Aerith

Votes: 510 26.2%

• Total voters

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
Screen%2520Shot%25202015-04-08%2520at%25202.15.21%2520PM.png

What did Tifa mean by this?
Fuckin

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Tifa and Cloud, Aerith and Zack.

Real answer: Zack and Cloud

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
There's no such thing as a true love in life, but I think there's far more substance and context to Cloud and Tifa's feelings than Cloud and Aerith.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that Remake makes it unambiguous that Tifa is the chosen one instead of partaking in the bullshit anime harem thing whereby the writers keep every romantic door open to avoid hurting the feelings of otakus who project themselves onto the protagonist.

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
Its both because of his psych issues. And it's possible to have feelings for two people. But its moreso Tifa.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Haven't played the remake (or the original for decades) but in the original it was always obvious to me it was Tifa; he had far more chemistry and history with her. I guess everyone sees what they want to see, and that includes me, but I don't even remember many scenes that even hint at a romantic connection between Cloud and Aerith (assuming you don't date her at the Golden Saucer, obviously).

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I think its pretty obvious its Tifa.

Cloud's feelings towards Aerith are the Zack part of his personality acting up and Aerith also responds in kind because Cloud is basically a Zack clone at that point.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Just as Cloud pretends to be someone he's not in order to impress Tifa, so too does Aerithes project her feelings for Zack into Cloud. That ain't a healthy set-up.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's always been Tifa. I think there might have been a crush with Aerith at the start as he was so much like Zack, but he's been in love with Tifa since childhood.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It is both of them. A person can love more than one. I have this same issue in my life
Indeed, but I just find it hard to argue against the scene, where Cloud accumulates his memory within the 'world of illusions' he comes for Tifa and kills Sephiroth even though he's just a normal guard. 'True love' in the way, who fits togther the most in the narrative.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've not yet come across any evidence that Cloud is a necrophiliac, so this is a self answering question.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Everyone and their mother, including Tifa, is thirsty for Cloud.

Aerith is the only person Cloud is thirsty for.

He settles for Tifa when it's apparent Aerith isn't an option.

While I wouldn't use the word settle, I think Aerith is the only time Cloud really responded back to flirting (rejecting Jessie, having a reaction to Aer's "don't fall in love with me, in the OG games he even jokes with her a bunch).

But he learns to accept Tifa and really comes around to her side and see what she's about.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I hope that Remake makes it unambiguous that Tifa is the chosen one instead of partaking in the bullshit anime harem thing whereby the writers keep every romantic door open to avoid hurting the feelings of otakus who project themselves onto the protagonist.

Considering Remake went full harem already beyond what the OG was.... Good luck.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Barret

FFVII-00710-Gold-Saucer-Barret-Date-Scene.png

I see this as:

Tifa and Cloud are an item. Aerith is someone that they both care a lot about. She is like a sister to both. And Aerith has her own boyfriends/girlfriends whatever.

That was the feeling i got from the Remake. Tifa and Cloud just have that kind of shared life and understanding of each other.

And Ivanka is "just a daughter" to Trump. ;)

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cloud's entire motivation was to impress Tifa. Like, everything he did was for her. It's Tifa. Aerith walked in and confused him.

Nov 23, 2017
Definitely Tifa. Many people here already explained the situation well. Although a polyamorous relationship in the Remake would be rad.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Its always been Tifa?
The fact that Square decided to make Zack and Aerith a couple, cements that.

Cloud is not going to date his dead best friends ex girlfriend.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
He has known Tifa for years and Aerith for like a few days.

Tifa makes more sense.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He wants to marry Tifa but he wants to tap Aerith. He should hurry before anything happens to her

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Isn't it implied that Cloud is only into Aerith because Zach was? I also really doubt Aerith would be into Cloud if he didn't contruct that new, much more confident personality. I get that Tifa's relationship with Cloud is really tropey (even though I love Tifa) but the whole point of it is to convey that it's true love.

Although the idea of Cloud, Tifa and Aerith being in a poly relationship isn't so bad.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, if you get the dream sequence with Aerith then she literally tells Cloud not to fall in love with her. Can't spell it out more obviously than that. Aerith doesn't love Cloud, she loves the part of him that tries to be like Zack. Similarly Cloud doesn't love Aerith, but he does love the almost maternal way she acts towards him.

Cloud will always be with Tifa and Aerith will always be with Zack. Part of me wishes they had actually just aged Zack and Aerith up a bit, even if only by seven years (geddit?). It's honestly a little weird how Cloud and Tifa are around the same age as them even though, obviously, they're meant to be younger.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if you get the dream sequence with Aerith then she literally tells Cloud not to fall in love with her. Can't spell it out more obviously than that. Aerith doesn't love Cloud, she loves the part of him that tries to be like Zack. Similarly Cloud doesn't love Aerith, but he does love the almost maternal way she acts towards him.

This is such a bi-dimensional take on love and people.

I believe Cloud and Aerith both love each other, but Aerith always knew something was probably going to happen to her (not necessarily that she was going to be stabbed in the gut, but as the last ancient her priorities were going to be something else, whether she liked it or not)

Of course, she knows something is up with Cloud but that doesn't mean she doesn't see him for what he is (a fragile messed up man that wants to be better).

Cloud as well, even after he recovers his original persona keeps thinking about Aerith.

And this is without entering the extended universe with the novels, movie and sequel/remake. I took Aerith's message in Remake as to try to avoid causing him more grief but from a perspective of love as well (not motherly love). But aerith's character in Remake is a whole bag of cats that we can't get into yet.

They all love each other very much. For obvious reasons (mortality) Cloud and Tifa end up together and a true relationship forms from that. But it doesn't cancel Cloud x Aerith

Oct 25, 2017

Most people's "true love" or "soul mate" just happens to live in the same city as them and also just so happens to meet them.
Think of how many "best friends" the average kid has growing up.
Even an antisocial kid like me had a good hand-full of them, and found new ones when I switched schools.
Each grade just happened to have a person, or two, that were super in synch with me and felt like destined friends that I couldn't imagine living without.

Love is the same. Take a sample size of just a couple hundred from anywhere and there's probably 1 or 2 people that would be compatible spouses that would be your destined true love you could stay with forever.
Then realize there's 8 billion people in the world.
There are literally millions of people in the world who would be just as good of a match for the average person as their one true love.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Cloud and Aerith only really know each other when the former is not all mentally there and is trying to be like Zack. Once he has his breakdown and gets better it's all about Tifa.

Whipwhopper

Oct 7, 2020
Cloud thought he loved Aerith cause he was all fucked up on mako and mixed his memories with Zack's.

Tifs is the actual reason Cloud wanted to go and join Shinra in the first place, to get her to notice him and to protect her. He definitely was in love with her before he got all messed up and still is once he remembers who he actually is

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I haven't played FF7R but did they fundamentally change the relationships? How are the poll results so skewed towards an incorrect answer? I don't even understand how this is a question.