• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
holy shit, that children with guns one...

what the fuck is there even to say

lexible

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Some of these quotes are fucking legendary.

'...rudimentary knowledge of mortars'
'In less than a month a first grader can become a first grenader'

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Some of these quotes are fucking legendary.

'...rudimentary knowledge of mortars'
'In less than a month a first grader can become a first grenader'

USDC2Xs.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Ok after watching the full episode I can see where the reviews are coming from. Some of it was hilarious and the NRA part is genuinely frightening, but I felt like the other scenes were kind of shallow overall. I think I'm so used to absurdist humor at this point that it just felt a bit generic to me. That said, if every episode contains at least one scene as insane as the NRA stuff it's still pretty much a 10/10.

To add a bit more to my post: like, the Bernie thing with the percentages was classic Ali G dumbness, but didn't really say much of value. I guess I should keep in mind that it is first and foremost a comedy show.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I am a huge Ali G / Borat fan, have pretty much all his UK shows and a few signed autographs but the first episode was pretty disappointing. Its streaming on showtime, the episode structure is 4 interviews, Cohen is playing all the parts himself in heavy prosthetics/makeup

#1: a fat alex jones kind of guy in a scooter interviews Bernie Sanders about healthcare.
#2: a ultra cringe super hippie (pink pussy hat) interviews two Trump delegates from the 2016 election. They were surprisingly polite as he said the most ridiculous and offensive things to them
#3: a British ex-con talks to an art gallery owner about his chances as an artist
#4: the israeli right wing gun nut talks to various politicians about guns, kids (its the entire excerpt linked above)

Overall it really wasn't that funny, mostly cringe. The people were all just basically polite and it never felt like any of them opened up to him, which is when the best moments were from Ali G, Borat, Nathan For You, etc.

I think Cohen worked too hard on making ludicrous, caricature personalities and the interviews suffer for it. Hopefully it gets better as the season continues.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
omg lol

The part where Larry Pratt was laughing at the story about a Muslim that was shot while praying is fucked up

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
i'm baffled by the lukewarm reviews this is getting from websites (the reaction in my social media feed + ITT has been really great)

this is brilliant stuff.
I just stopped finding this kind of subject matter funny about 2 years ago. Am I supposed to laugh at Republicans' full-throated support of arming grade-schoolers? Because I don't really see any humor to be found there.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know whether to laugh, cry or just douse myself in gasoline over the Kinder guardians bit.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I just stopped finding this kind of subject matter funny about 2 years ago. Am I supposed to laugh at Republicans' full-throated support of arming grade-schoolers? Because I don't really see any humor to be found there.

It might just be me, but I don't think some of that stuff is meant to be funny. Like the whole gun bit, some might get a chuckle out of the absurdity of it all, but it's a very serious topic. So I feel what he's doing is highlighting that people aren't actually bullshitting when they talk about how extreme right-wing views are when it comes to guns. But it's one thing to have a liberal say "They want to arm children!" and another to actually have those very right-wingers admit it on camera. So he's getting Republicans into an environment and comfort zone that a regular news anchor or reporter never could. He's buttering them up and then letting them show their true colors. Colors that you'd only get to see if you knew them personally and you were speaking to them off the record.

Like I said, it's one thing for a liberal to accuse Republicans of something. Because you can ultimately accuse someone of anything. You can claim their views are X or Y. But it's something completely different when you can get them on the record. That's what makes this interesting. It's a deep dive into what Republicans really think.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"If they haven't developed a conscience yet that could make them very effective soldiers".

Help.

I like how everyone is downplaying it to just these GOP dumbasses wanting to give guns to toddlers -- which is completely and astronomically heinous and stupid -- but that they're also arguing for child soldiers.

c9c388_4cd1952c91014bc28a56de06edd94c87~mv2.webp

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If these characters fooled real politicians, imagine the kind of people that normally contact their congressmen

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
I am a huge Ali G / Borat fan, have pretty much all his UK shows and a few signed autographs but the first episode was pretty disappointing. Its streaming on showtime, the episode structure is 4 interviews, Cohen is playing all the parts himself in heavy prosthetics/makeup

#1: a fat alex jones kind of guy in a scooter interviews Bernie Sanders about healthcare.
#2: a ultra cringe super hippie (pink pussy hat) interviews two Trump delegates from the 2016 election. They were surprisingly polite as he said the most ridiculous and offensive things to them
#3: a British ex-con talks to an art gallery owner about his chances as an artist
#4: the israeli right wing gun nut talks to various politicians about guns, kids (its the entire excerpt linked above)

Overall it really wasn't that funny, mostly cringe. The people were all just basically polite and it never felt like any of them opened up to him, which is when the best moments were from Ali G, Borat, Nathan For You, etc.

I think Cohen worked too hard on making ludicrous, caricature personalities and the interviews suffer for it. Hopefully it gets better as the season continues.

I liked most of it, with the israeli part being the best and I guess the hippie part being the weakest. The art gallery was cringe for obvious reasons, I can't believe that actually happened :lol

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only saw the Youtube Gun segment but holy heck. As if its not already clear, we are living in a Mike Judge dystopia.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
That art segment was disgusting.

Didn't really get the ultra-Libral having dinner with conservatives. Wouldn't it have made more sense to have him have dinner with other liberals, and let them see the extreme side? See if they hop onboard with his views like the gun-nuts did with his gun-nut character?

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
14-who-is-america-my-wife.w710.h473.jpg

goddamn he looks so different, no wonder he fooled so many
probably gonna check this out, seems funny enough

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This was the most uncomfortable I've ever felt watching something. Can't wait for next week.

Fruit&Nut

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Mar 16, 2018
Is this show as good as Ali G or is it garbage like his post-Borat films?

It's not as good as Ali G or Borat or any of that period. Not at all. At least so far. Still pretty damned funny though.

Those pranks were about exposing the prejudices people were hiding. No ones hiding it anymore. Also this new character comes across more cartoonish and silly to me. I mean, I get Borat was fucking silly, but this character just seems more obviously fake to me. I think its the way it's acted, perhaps.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
The artist segment felt really inconsistent with the show's theme, but that was a hell of a first episode otherwise.

The 199% lecture and Blink-182 pheromones fuckin' killed me.

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Insane first episode. loved the final segment.

Latpri

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I liked most of it, with the israeli part being the best and I guess the hippie part being the weakest. The art gallery was cringe for obvious reasons, I can't believe that actually happened :lol

The lady running the art gallery is either 100% a wierdo artist or a scammer who takes advantage of wierdo artists. I can absolutely believe it happened, both of those cases would be very enthusiastic to talk about scat/ejaculate paintings.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell do people take him seriously when he interviews them. The gun segment is redic. I'd love to hear what was going through the art lady's mind during that interview.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I like how the eyes are so shiny.

That's cum.

lol

That whole art segment was insane. And I wish I hadn't watched the nra part prior. It was a great finale to the first episode. The second segment was the weakest, the first with Bernie just ok. But the last 2 holy shit they were funny.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
^^^ The Bernie one was great because no matter what you do Bernie is just Bernie. It's hilarious and awesome.

Oct 30, 2017
I fucking burst out laughing when the Lobbyist guy says, "This conversation would have some people's heads exploding!" and Sacha says, "Why because they've been shot in the head?"

Veggen

Oct 25, 2017
The NRA segment is really something. The toy guns segment encapsulates the modern day "banality of evil".

Didn't really get the ultra-Libral having dinner with conservatives. Wouldn't it have made more sense to have him have dinner with other liberals, and let them see the extreme side? See if they hop onboard with his views like the gun-nuts did with his gun-nut character?
The characters he's playing needs to interact with people that will believe what he's selling. Conservatives will absolutely buy into him being cuckolded by a dolphin while his daughter is "free bleeding" as a carbon footprint reduction measure. He's parodying a fear conservatives and the right have, like Vonnegut did with Harrison Bergeron.

Last edited:

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my fucking god at the first episode. The bit with Erran Moratz, wow. Fucking wow. And these people are in congress. Wow.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Worse. Just the first scene with Bernie when hes doing math is so bad lol.

LOL the kid who isnt allowed to pee standing up. im dead

That couple at the dinner table, that guy kept talking over his wife lol

"They locked me up for one mistake that i made 14 times"
Where is the Bernie Sanders clip at?

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
I loved the whackjob liberal segment. Seeing how far he could go and how far they were willing to go along with it was great. The kids with guns segment was more enraging than funny, but that's the point, really. I think it's a nice mix of funny, angry, and just fucking around.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Id like more of the last segment. Not sure what the other segments are really supposed to be about. The liberal professor felt awful and boring.

Bernie's segment fell flat, because it's just about explaining a really stupid joke about math, and I have no idea what that art segment was supposed to be about. Im guessing the character is supposed to target liberals who are off the deep end in their open mindedness? That lady was clearly full of nonsense but maybe his other segments with that character will be more interesting because I dont really care what some random art lady thinks.

The last character was the best for obvious reasons. The Alex Jones type character has potential but the content didnt mesh well with Bernie

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Damn. This is Mark Twain levels of social commentary. That second old guy's hatred and ignorance was laid bare by a man who was clearly in costume and doing a bit.

Remember to vote. Every fucking election.

Also it warms my balls that Joe Walsh was one of the incredibly stupid assholes in this video.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wonder how this will be handled. If it turns into a lame South Park "oh look at how silly those liberals are for acknowledging privilege and supporting minorities" bit then I'll be let down, but I feel like Sacha Baron Cohen is smarter than that.
Honestly the hardest segment to watch, he just acts like the most extreme left wing stereotype to make a Republican couple uncomfortable. But it's not really revealing anything, they SHOULD be uncomfortable, because the stuff he's saying is rather insane. I'm not sure where he was going with that and I didn't really enjoy it. In fact it kind of made him look worse than them because they were being amazingly polite.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the hardest segment to watch, he just acts like the most extreme left wing stereotype to make a Republican couple uncomfortable. But it's not really revealing anything, they SHOULD be uncomfortable, because the stuff he's saying is rather insane. I'm not sure where he was going with that and I didn't really enjoy it. In fact it kind of made him look worse than them because they were being amazingly polite.
Agreed.

I'm watching the segment now.

This show sucks so far. Im 10 minutes in and it's not been funny or illuminating at all. It's just dumb.