• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Tony Stark/Iron Man gonna die?

• Yup

Votes: 484 54.4%
  • Nope

Votes: 406 45.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
People been wanting tony or cap to die since the MCU inception. I don't get the point. If the only time something feels real is when death is involved, i think that speaks to crap story telling

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the Tony vs Cap debate stuff feels so stale to me now, as though those are the only foregone conclusions. Let's have some real fun instead.

Kill off all four of the OG Avengers. Tony, Steve, Thor, and Bruce. Their stories have run on for long enough. It's time to focus on some new blood and new relationships. This probably (definitely?) isn't what will happen, but man I'd feel satisfied. If nothing else I do find it a little strange how people seem to assume that Thor and Hulk are just completely off the table as potential casualties.
I think the reason is Tony Stark the character feels so tired now in the movies. He's riddled with PTSD and the weight of defending the world. It feels like he wants it all over with himself, secretly. As though he does things now out of obligation and without joy or lust for the fight. It feels like the only thing left for his character now is to end, either happily or unhappily.

Thor on the other hand just had a reinvigorating turn in Ragnarok and wants to kick Thanos' ass. He's got tons of fight left in him. He doesn't feel like his character is exhausted and needs a golden watch and to be rushed off stage. Banner's on the cusp of a new arc it seems, with him and Hulk making peace together. It doesn't feel like his time either.

I don't think Tony will die.

I also don't think people really want Cap to die. It's just been an assumption because of the comic arc were Cap dies and someone else takes his mantle.

In terms of just the MCU, I do think Cap would be an appropriate character to sacrifice himself because everything about him is set up that way, even if some might see it as cliche.

When we first see Steve, he is ready to sacrifice himself without a thought to save others. It's only appropriate he goes out the same way.

There is also a built-in melancholy to Cap as the man out of time. The MCU has only reinforced this in multiple scenes across the films. Cap has nobody, only the mission, and while he's certainly not suicidal - far from it - he's also maybe the only person who wouldn't feel any guilt about putting himself in harm's way. He wouldn't be abandoning a loved one - they're all gone.

Tony's struggle is with his own preoccupied obsessions. Tony has people to go back to. He has some growth left to achieve before he's done, and that growth doesn't involve dying.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tony dies, but uploads his AI into his tech so that he can come in for simple voice work when the next iron man (let's go Riri) comes around.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Steve will go back to ww2 and be with his love. Help strengthen the avengers, Tony's parents never die. Tony never becomes iron man but he is still a genius who creates an iron man suit for his son

HotTakeCakes

Alt account
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Reading
He'll die on the way back home but he'll make a come back somehow to reverse the snap. Maybe with help from Cpt.Marvel He's not dieing at the end of the movie. He'll marry and father a kid with Pepper.

Cap will die or at least he'll stay back in time and 'retires' with Peggy in the past? But I can't remember if she married and had kids so that would be weird if that happened.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I don't understand why there are so many people in this thread drawing conclusions from the absence of Tony in Far From Home. There are at least a dozen possible explanations for that that don't involve Iron Man dying in Endgame.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
People been wanting tony or cap to die since the MCU inception. I don't get the point. If the only time something feels real is when death is involved, i think that speaks to crap story telling

Agreed, which is why I never understood people that got upset that the dusted folks might come back. They don't need to stay dead for this storyline to be compelling.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone is going to die. I think they're going to chicken out and have Tony retire, or have Cap go back to his own time by using the Time Storne or something. That way they leave the door open for small cameos down the road.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Captain America is gonna die and stark will disappear off into space

I think their son (with pepper ) will become new Ironman

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Everyone who died will come back to life and everyone who's living will die!

(except valkyrie and carol danvers who will walk together towards the sunset)

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I think this image is too powerful for them not to adapt.

hUbFx6k.jpg

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018
Tony's gonna try to bring everyone back in some suicidal gesture, Cap'll stop him and do it in his place.

Cap dead, the ashed back, Tony retires and passes the mantle to someone else.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
They have to kill them both or kill one and retire the other to get some impact here. They want this movie having reactions like Infinity War.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Yes. I honestly think one of the biggest things pointing in this direction is
Ty Simpkins returning from IM3. He's obviously aged too much to reprise Harley Keener as he appeared in that film for flashbacks or time travel, and I don't see him playing a role in the main plot given how many characters who've appeared more recently than six years ago that the film has to service, so him being a guest at Stark's funeral seems like the most logical place to put a cameo.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I just wonder what they do after this movie? I just don't see them continuing this universe after Downey and Evans leave. The other characters don't have as huge of a role to lead.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, Steve will. Tony has so much to live for, he and Pepper are going to make a family, and he's going to pass on his experience and tech to the next generation. Steve is a symbol from a time that's lost to him. Everyone he loved is gone. His only purpose at this point is to sacrifice himself one last time to save trillions.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
edit: oh damn ^^^^

cap is the on who gonna die.

Tony has too much things to comeback for, Pepper, Stark Industries, Peter.

what does Cap have? sharon carter?
plz

cap is gonna bite the dust

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cap's dying, Iron Man retires and I bet Hemworth's is gonna reup his contract so Thor will be fine.

OP
OP
Thugnificent

Thugnificent

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. I honestly think one of the biggest things pointing in this direction is
Ty Simpkins returning from IM3. He's obviously aged too much to reprise Harley Keener as he appeared in that film for flashbacks or time travel, and I don't see him playing a role in the main plot given how many characters who've appeared more recently than six years ago that the film has to service, so him being a guest at Stark's funeral seems like the most logical place to put a cameo.
Oh wow I totally forgot about this supposed cameo. I still think Tony lives. It is kind of weird to have a past character to represent the mentee role when MCU Spider-Man exists. But maybe the kid is whom Tony passes on the Iron Man suit. Not sure how I feel about it honestly but it could happen.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
leaning yes because from Spider-Man: Far From Home trailers it seems like his role in Homecoming is being replaced by a combination of Nick Fury and Happy Hogan (right down to the flirting with Aunt May)

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Without making a new thread: let's say nobody dies in Endgame. Will you be disappointed?
Actually yes, simply because if you don't go there after actually killing and bringing back half of all your characters, you cannot have any sense of danger in these movies again.

I think somebody has to pay the price.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If he was going to die, it would have been in Infinity War. They even had that moment where everyone thought he was toast.

They're not killing him in the next film. It's probably Cap. And/or Banner.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's him or Captain America or both. There's no reason why either of these guys would stop being Avengers, so how are they going to write them out of the series?

Min

Oct 25, 2017
He might die but I think time travel will play a roll and revert back to before infinity war takes place, especially if we have a year time jump in End Game. It might make sense to have everyone forget about a traumatizing event and set the clock back, especially as Spider-Man is still in high school and going on summer vacay.

Status
Not open for further replies.