• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
and how did you like them? i remember reading them when i was 14 or so and getting quiet fond of them. only thing i didn't like is when Perry creates some O.C. although i really enjoyed her original story caliban cove. i remember hoping they would make a game out of that story rather than what happened with the Anderson RE movies.

CzEvaBFW8AA2CfH.jpg

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I've got 1 through to 5 of these. As you say, great as a teenager, though don't stand up to scrutiny much these days in terms of continuity, though I can't really blame that on the author. Plus, they were pretty cheap even for paperbacks, so they were easy to save up for or grab when you had some spare money left over from a day out in town.

(They also inspired me to write my own Resident Evil fanfic which is how I came up with 'Menome', but that's all I'll say on that. I am never posting that shit here.)

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I enjoyed them a ton. I read the books based on 1, 2, 3 and Code Veronica.

I think Umbrella Conspiracy is considered the best one.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoyed them, so many unresolved plot threads.

Who the fuck was Trent and who did he work for?!?!

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I've read them all. I think I liked them all at the time. It's been about 15 years though lol.

I also liked those fan-contest books that were only ever translated (from Japanese) into German.

I really enjoyed them, so many unresolved plot threads.

Who the fuck was Trent and who did he work for?!?!
Trent is actually Chris. RE9 spoilers.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I remember liking the book for RE2, but I haven't read it in over a decade so I have no idea if I would still like it. Wish I had access to it again.

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have three of them (1, 3 and 6), been a while since I read them but I remember I enjoyed them a lot.
Might be biased since I love Resident Evil and I don't read a lot of horror books, so my experience with them is limited.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I read caliban cove and maybe still own it. Don't remember anything from it though besides the cover.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I've got 1 through to 5 of these. As you say, great as a teenager, though don't stand up to scrutiny much these days in terms of continuity, though I can't really blame that on the author. Plus, they were pretty cheap even for paperbacks, so they were easy to save up for or grab when you had some spare money left over from a day out in town.

(They also inspired me to write my own Resident Evil fanfic which is how I came up with 'Menome', but that's all I'll say on that. I am never posting that shit here.)
Oh, come on, I'd love to hear it! I used to write…ehen…panzer dragoon fanfic.
OT: tried buying them in eBay, only saw Caliban Cove in person in Spain :(

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I remember the adaptations (RE1, 2, and 3 at least) being pretty good at the time. I think I only read CV and 0's books once so I don't remember them as well. The original ones aren't as good but Caliban holds up a lot better.

And yeah, if you like Rebecca, this is the stuff for you.

Still love that she had to retcon herself with the Nemesis book since she wrote the first four books before RE3's release, assuming Jill would go to Europe with everyone else.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
RE1, 2, 3, 0 and Caliban Cove were pretty good for what there were (retelling of games that don't really have that much story). Code Veronica felt rushed in the second half (IIRC Claire's part was about 2/3 of the book, and then Perry rushed through the Chris' events; it felt really off). The second original story was also rather meh.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I do remember Capcom making the part about Jill being of Japanese descent canon. But otherwise, my memories of those books are vague at best. It's been too long.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
I liked them. They can be a bit confusing when Perry describes the twisting hallways and layout of the classic RE maps. I love how she fleshed out Barry's character in the books.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Aren't these the ones that just.. literally spelled out the gameplay from each game? "There it was, the Rook key!" And so on?
If so, they were pretty shit.

Edit going by other responses I might confuse them.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
All 6 are available on the Kindle store by the way if people wanted to re-read them. £3.79 each on the UK store.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I shockingly enjoyed these for the most part.

Non where perfect but as a retelling of RE1 it was pretty darn fun.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I read the first one a few times and really enjoyed it. Wanted to read the others but never got around to it.