• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
HuIQQO0.gif

I've always been a huge fan of Neo-Geo games, whether it be experiencing them on MVS arcade cabinets in the 90's/early 2000's or via emulation and ports to modern systems. For some of the system's best games (e.g. King of Fighters series, Samurai Shodown series, Last Blade, Garou, Metal Slug, etc.) I've double- and triple-dipped on various ports across multiple console generations just because I love them so much. I've been particularly into taking advantage of all the Hamster ACA ports on my Switch, which is rapidly amassing quite the Neo-Geo library as a handheld solution.

But all of this makes me a Neo-Geo dilettante compared to the real ballers out there who've actually owned a real Neo-Geo and its games. The Neo-Geo is one of gaming's most illustrious and interesting collector propositions, as it started out extremely expensive and has only grown more so over the years since its discontinuation. I personally could never justify funding a real Neo-Geo collection of any sort, but I definitely love to live vicariously through those who do.

9xZzI.gif

The Neo-Geo was the ultimate 2D sprite-art machine, and SNK's developers were masters of the craft.

That's why I've made this thread. I want to hear from people on ERA who either have owned or currently own Neo-Geo systems and games, whether it be in MVS arcade form or the even more expensive AES console. Is it as awesome as it seems? How do you handle outputting to modern displays in this day and age? Or do you still use CRT? What are some of your most prized games in your collection?

I'm hoping to see some nice pictures of Neo-Geo cabinets, carts, and collections in here. The AES cartridge boxes in particular had some truly excellent box art. I'm a huge fan of all the King of Fighters box covers.

1*taMks725UNr8S2m3P6Pk3A.png

Wide shot of the artwork used for the KOF '98 AES box art. So classy.

Phaenos

Oct 27, 2017
I've owned a "Big Red" 4-slot MVS arcade cabinet for a few years now. I don't have any pictures of it on hand and a recent move has forced it temporarily into storage. I had just recently got the marquees at the the top of the cabinet to light up correctly depending on which of the four slots was selected. Cabinet has an original 22" CRT monitor inside. I don't own a ton of MVS carts for it, but I do have some of my absolute favorites. KoF '96, 98 and 2000, Garou: Mark of the Wolves, Real Bout Fatal Fury 1 and 2, Puzzle Bobble, and the original Metal Slug.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
i bought an AES in 1998 after i sold an OP of Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout on ebay for a small fortune. it came with Samsho 1 and 2. it was like experiencing a childhood dream unrealized.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I own a consolized MVS and a few games, most importantly the entire Metal Slug series.

Playing it on my PVM is bliss.

But like every other classic game collecting the prices are just insane now, so I stopped growing my collection.

EDIT: Might as well post my full collection:
  • Art of Fighting 2
  • Blazing Star
  • Garou: Mark of the Wolves
  • Kabuki Klash
  • KOF 2000
  • Last Blade 2
  • Magical Drop 3
  • And of course as previously mentioned, Metal Slug 1-2-X-3-4-5
My #1 most wanted is Super Dodge Ball, but it's like at least $400 on eBay.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I own a consolized MVS and a few games, most importantly the entire Metal Slug series.

Playing it on my PVM is bliss.

But like every other classic game collecting the prices are just insane now, so I stopped growing my collection.
I'm salivating at the thought of playing those on a PVM. Here I am relying on CRT shaders to simulate that look.

Deleted member 30569

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
If I recall from the old country, doesn't Ban Puncher or someone like that have quite the extensive AES collection?

Jul 10, 2018
I had a 1-slot MVS and an old school Supergun, with 14 games

Aggressors of Dark Kombat
Art of Fighting 1 and 2
Fatal Fury 1, 2, Real Bout
KOF 94, 95
Samurai Shodown 1, 2, 3, 4
World Heroes 2 Jet and Perfect

Ultimately sold them though as they were cumbersome.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
My stupid ass brother traded my Neogeo with Magician Lord and Alpha Mission II for a us SNES. The ugliest sin to have graced urf.

I'm still mad at him

Quasicat

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I went to a branch college which had a Pizza Hut down the road with a four slot MVS. I played it so much, the owner asked if I'd buy it due to the store being renovated. It was in great condition since I was the only one who really played it.
For $300 I got the unit with Samurai Showdown, Blazing Star, Metal Slug, and Puzzle Bobble.
I had to sell it when the kids were born, but I now have those four titles on the Switch!

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
I went to a branch college which had a Pizza Hut down the road with a four slot MVS. I played it so much, the owner asked if I'd buy it due to the store being renovated. It was in great condition since I was the only one who really played it.
For $300 I got the unit with Samurai Showdown, Blazing Star, Metal Slug, and Puzzle Bobble.
I had to sell it when the kids were born, but I now have those four titles on the Switch!
Wow, that 4-slot had a really good variety of games (fighter, shmup, run 'n gun, puzzle). Too bad you had to let it go.

I have a 1-slot MVS and a bunch of games. I really should see about getting a supergun or having it consolized(?), as a cabinet takes up too much space, so it's sitting in the garage atm.

I also have a Neo Geo CD (and CDZ) I got from Craigslist about 10 years ago. It came with about a dozen games for like $30. The guy was selling off his kids' systems, and admitted he priced it wrong. But he didn't care and let me have it anyway. Man was I happy!

Despite the load times, I really like the CD system. The games are generally more affordable, and it doesn't take up much space at all.

Last edited:

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I own an AES though it's in storage atm.

The games I own are

- Sengoku 2001
- KoF98
- Metal Slug 5
- Samurai Showdown 2
- World Heroes 2

I'd love to dig it out of storage and start buying games for it again. Absolutely love the system.

Xythantiops

Oct 27, 2017
I own both AES and MVS.

Bought an AES and then few years later bought a 1 slot MVS when I purchased a supergun.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I owned a AES when i was a teenager, had to save quite a bit because it was expensive as fuck, and the games too, but man was it worth, such a leap over Snes. Playing AoF with those huge sprites was mind blowing back in the nineties

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a consolized Neo Geo MVS with Metal Slug 1, 2, X, 3, Samurai Showdown, Neo Turf Masters, and WindJammers.

It's pretty amazing to play arcade hardware in my home. I love the novelty. I got mine from Jamma Nation X.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i traded my SNES with 20 games into a Neo Geo AES with 2 games and 2 arcade sticks in the 90s...my friend did the same and we´ve traded anime videos and worked in the holidays to fund our expensive hobby. we would swap our games so we could play more and didn´t need to buy everything multiple times. i had Samurai Shodown I+II, Robo Army, Sengoku 2, Fatal Fury Special, Nam-75 and the Art of Fighting games.

Later on i traded in my AES into a Neo Geo CD which i traded later on into a japanese PSX. to this day i still think this was a bad decision but well, thats what we´ve done back then, traded always into the latest and greatest...the Neo Geo would be far more worth nowadays and still be running, the PSX was broken around 2000.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I sadly can't contribute, but my dream arcade machine is to have a classic Big Red setup. Actually, I always wanted a Neo-Geo cocktail cabinet, but from what I can tell they were literally never a thing. Which is a shame, because I've seen a project where it looks really fucking good:
NEO%201.JPG

NEO%202.JPG

NEO%203.JPG

NEO%204.JPG

NEO%205.JPG

Can someone steal it for me and ship it to Australia? Cheers.

From here.

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
I own 2 Aes and 41 games. Love SNK and the Neo. Couldn't afford one when i was a kid but got it later as an adult. Im 40 atm...Collection includes Metal Slug 3 US, Mark of the Wolves JP, Aero Fighters 2 US, Samurai Showdowns 1-4, both Last Blades, Matrimelee, Spin Master US, Robo Army, Last Resort, Baseball Star 2, Kof 94-2000.. Etc..
The Aes is still in my view, the slickest most beautiful console ever designed.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I have a consolized MVS,
CMVS.jpg

Great cheaper way of owning a neogeo! :D sold my original AES to basically trade for it. AES games were already then stupid-expensive.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 2 slot MVS that I use in my Blast City cabinet. I have about 55 MVS games currently which covers almost all the games I wanted. I might pick up a NeoSD for the rest. I also have a 1 slot MVS I was consolizing, haven't gotten around to finishing hehe.

Favorites are Last Resort, Magician Lord, Windjammers, Garou Mark of the Wolves, Metal Slugs , Shodowns, and KoFs. But honestly almost all the ones I have I love, the puzzle games are always fun, shmups, sports games. I grew up in the arcades, I can play arcade games all day.
uqveMRR.jpg

Last edited:

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I have a consolized MVS I made a few years ago. It is a pretty sweet system and the AES controllers are really nice as well. Games I have are:
Art of fighting
Fatal fury 1 & 2
KOF 98 & 2001
Metal Slug 3
Mutation Nation

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
For about ... 15 years now (jesus christ) I've had a 2-slot Neo-Geo MVS in a wooden cabinet. It's the Metal Slug franchise what got me initially interested in the Neo-Geo platform and pulled me into the cult.

Here are (older) photos of my cabinet with the MVS motherboard. Inserted are two of my favourite Metal Slugs. ;)

Below a photo I just took of the games I have. (It's night here, hence the horrible camera flash, sorry.)
Few years back I purchased some Shockboxes including inserts for my MVS games. The cartridges fit perfectly and neatly, and it sure beats hell of simply having the cartridges lying openly around. Definitely recommended for everyone with an MVS collection. Also in the bottom left is the only AES game I own.
swzSYa9.jpg

(On the right an unrelated iPad)

And here's the rest of my (partial) Neo-Geo collection:

Shown in the photo:
  • an original AES controller,
  • an official replica for the Nintendo Wii,
  • a MVS->AES converter,
  • an original Neo-Geo CD controller,
  • an official PS2(?) replica,
  • a US Neo-Geo AES system (serial number 094011 for anyone who cares),
  • some Neo-Geo Pocket Color bag,
  • 3 Neo-Geo Pocket Colors: 1 first model and 2 "slim" models.

To finish, a photo of my very non-impressive Neo-Geo Pocket Color game collection.
(Actually not the entire collection as I can't find my fucking King of Fighters R-2 cartridge.)

Besides my car, it's probably the most expensive hobby I've had (have?). There's still plenty of Neo-Geo stuff I'd like to obtain in the future. But admittedly I've become less and less eager to pursue them over the years. That said, I do cherish my collection and have absolutely no plan of selling it anytime soon. :)

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Back in the day I had a friend in Jr. High who came into possession of a NeoGeo and a bunch of games. He literately had a duffel bag filled with games as they were so huge. Anyway he offered to sell me them for like $100 and I looked at him like he was crazy. First off where the hell would I get $100 and why would I want some old shit when I have a PlayStation. Took years, for the value of that thing to dawn on me. Still haunts me that I could had a NeoGeo with games costing hundreds for just $100.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
consolized MVS owner with a couple of MVS games, Garou: Mark of the Wolves, and the yellow multi cart

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to own an MVS cab someday. The ease of cartridge swapping along with that library makes it a no brainer if I had to pick only one cab to own.

Umdlye

Oct 27, 2017
I have an MVS for use with my supergun and little CRT (Commodore 1084), with Metal Slug 2, Magician Lord and Andro Dunos.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 2 slot MVS that I use in my Blast City cabinet. I have about 55 MVS games currently which covers almost all the games I wanted. I might pick up a NeoSD for the rest. I also have a 1 slot MVS I was consolizing, haven't gotten around to finishing hehe.

Favorites are Last Resort, Magician Lord, Windjammers, Garou Mark of the Wolves, Metal Slugs , Shodowns, and KoFs. But honestly almost all the ones I have I love, the puzzle games are always fun, shmups, sports games. I grew up in the arcades, I can play arcade games all day.
uqveMRR.jpg
Whoa! That's a beautiful collection! Those white boxes are sleek as fuck as well. Did you make these yourself or do you have a source to buy them from?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
4 slot MVS in good working shape with aero fighters 2, metal slug, samurai showdown and 1946. Picked it up a few years back. Cabinet could use some tlc and cleaning some of the side paint is slightly gouged

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
I own a MVS. I use to have an Tekken 4 Arcade Cab where I had Tekken 4 + MVS setup in. I ended up selling the Arcade cab with Tekken 4 but keeping the MVS.

I never got around to consolizing the MVS, but I saw this recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH_jy5IQvBE

And, I was wondering if anyone here has used one?

Also, I've seen the CBOX MVS that they sell on Alibaba and it looks great.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW...Joypad-SS-Gamepad-RGBS-YCBCR/32850852119.html

It got a bad rep when some YouTube feed the raw RGB output from it to his OSSC without checking if his SCART cable had capacitors that were of the right kind for the higher amperage output of the MVS.

P.S As you can see by my name I grew up playing many MVS games in arcades along with Capcom classics was an amazing era.

Last edited:

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I've got an AES and model 2 Neo CD. I've had the CD for a few years but just got the AES last year. I got lucky and got a good price on the system with a controller.

ICiRTDpGdIHp36rsHZ0rKnrUNOdKdyIkUddS9wWXgMqN6xPWtcgkIi8VcgNmMTJoMMlN3go1zb9SVm--DdV2lSEHm8JGo1P2ZWmiKhhEa2SwFCiwYVt-pDxhHRzqarJ6_lG_1SOJmQ=w2400

On the game front i've mostly kept to games I can buy for 5,000 yen or less pre shipping. So far i've got samurai showdown 1 & 2, Art of Fighting 1 & 2, Fatal Fury 2 & Special, World Heroes 2 and Fighters History Dynamite. I would like to eventually one day also get Fatal Fury 1 & 3, World Heroes 1 and Samurai Showdown 3. For more expensive games I keep to just getting the Neo CD version (I can live with the loading). So far i've got 17 games for Neo CD.

Here are some of my AES carts, all of my aes games have the manual and box other than ff special where i'm missing the manual.
ppf6NwVu_9C0ss3lWR8fScWPaaIaQSY6qDp9VYLBqBZYMCtmg21QfVSxivsv5vxyQ9mhc8cIhcDRFChxD_lItKGizYknDTVXXgy8dE-w09GYxCQhJKc6-XRbdNzRaP6Psu-NByOtng=w2400

Last edited:

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa! That's a beautiful collection! Those white boxes are sleek as fuck as well. Did you make these yourself or do you have a source to buy them from?

Windy City gaming used to make them. They sold the cardboard sleeve and I printed out the labels on some sticker paper for the spines. I don't think they make them anymore though :/ That box on the very top right is a different one that a game came in that I bought, I think they still make those somewhere.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super thirsty for a >$200 FPGA CMVS.

Easily my favorite console that I've never owned (Genesis being the second).
People are working on a MISTeR neogeo core right now and progress is rather quick (68k core beeing one of the oldest in existence for fpga units with the minimig in 2006). The only downside is the need for a bigger sdram daughter board.

This will be cheaper and more long term future proof than whatever analog comes out with

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Yes! Glad there are so many fellow MVS owners here. It's really a great way to get in to Neo-Geo and arcade collecting in general.

I bought an Electrocoin 4 slot cab (with a 6 slot board) around 2001. For people in the UK it is the equivalent of the big red I guess; I remember playing on similar cabs when I was a kid.

I've got 59 games at the moment, although I am still collecting. Most recent acquisitions are 3 Count Bout, Super Sidekicks 3 and Puzzled which set me back £35. Yeah they're not exactly sought after games, but you can still pick up a bargain if you look.

I also branched out in to Hyper Neo-Geo 64 (dead end lol) and Naomi (around 30 games). I run them all from the same cab because I don't have the space for more :(

I might post pics later, although it isn't much to look at.