• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheist?

• Yes

Votes: 1,532 82.6%
  • Nah

Votes: 323 17.4%

• Total voters

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
So i guess most people assume most posters are non religious or are so consistently avoidant of this topic that for the community they are practically non religious.

But i'm a straight up atheist and i feel it's very rare to see people be open about being an atheist. Not just here, but in real life it's even rarer and in media too.

So are you an atheist? Let's get a number here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Agnostic atheist for me but I entertain the idea more than I used to.

People being less open about being atheist probably has something to do with the utter chudfest that nu-atheism went through some 8-10 years ago. Where a lot of people mistook 'anti-theism' for atheism and really firmly held that as part of their identity.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
I used to be, but lean more agnostic lately. Not in the traditional ancient text God sense... but in the possibility we live in a simulation created by something. I don't know the term for that

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I was raised Catholic but am very sick of organized religion. I am still unsure if there is a higher being, so maybe I'm kinda agnostic?

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a Catholic, but I have no problems with an atheist.
My faith resolves around the idea of simply "be good to everyone".

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Me.

Raised Buddhist.

Been an Atheist for a long time.

I still identify as a Buddhist culturally, just like how there are a lot of Jews who are atheist.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
*raises hand*

I really tried believing, studied a lot, talked with many friends who seem to have a strong belief system. It never made sense to me, and atheism fit my perception of the world.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Atheist here, although I like studying religions for the stories

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Yo.

Agnostic atheist most of the time.

I don't know if there is a higher power, but I suspect that there isn't.

What is that, agnostic?
Do you believe that there is a god or not? If not, you're an atheist. If you don't claim to know for sure, then you're also an agnostic. You can be both agnostic and atheist. One deals with what you believe, and one with your degree of certainty pertaining to that belief.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I was raised slightly Catholic because it was just the norm. Was taught religion in elementary school, and found it silly even back then. Did my first communion, but didn't do the confirmation thing because I didn't want to go and wanted to play videogames instead. My mom just shrugged. We were never religious in the household, just went to church for things like Christmas or Easter ... because it was the norm. At one point I just told my mom I wouldn't go anymore and she was ok with it.

Basically :

- I don't believe in God or any other paranormal stuff.
- I don't think there's any chance it exists.
- I don't believe in any religious or paranormal beings like ghosts or werewolves or fairies.

Is that atheist, agnostic or something else? I'm confused with the terms.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
My background is in Catholicism. I don't think there's much reason to believe in God, as traditionally conceived, and if there is a God, he/she/it/whatever is certainly not anything like what the Church says it is. So I'm kind of indifferent to the question. God, if there is one, isn't going to send you to hell, and we have to admit that there doesn't seem to be anything after this life. We just have to make do with this one life we've got. Still, I'm not necessarily anti-religious, so long as it's practiced in a fairly benign way.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
no because what is "god"

law of physics set up (or supposedly so) by the big bang is "god" it's like asking if i don't believe in rain

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
I feel that religion is a load of rubbish.

its embarrassing that it exists in 2020, and holds back the human race from our Star Trek future.

Oct 27, 2017
Atheist here and its ridiculous how its still taboo to this day. I feel like most people around me are atheiat aswell but afraid to admit it or something. Like they think we are the close minded ones or something. Saying we dont know how the universe was created and what the meaning of life is, is actually the most open minded way of living. Not knowing is scary but its the fucking truth

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
agnostic_chart.png

This is important for people to understand.

I'm agnostic atheist.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
At no point during my childhood do I recall believing that God fellow people talked about on Sunday was real. Atheist through and through.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
But i'm a straight up atheist and i feel it's very rare to see people be open about being an atheist. Not just here, but in real life it's even rarer and in media too.
when-nick-young-the-basketball-player-met-nick-young-the-meme-body-image-1485378510.jpg

I mean, the internet part is just flat out bullshit. People love to "brag" that they're atheists. All those memes and jokes about vegans can apply to atheists in general.
But, in real life, it's also weird, but I guess it depends where you're from.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I don't talk about being atheist, because I spend 0% of my brain power thinking about religion. Why would I bring it up, ever?

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agnostic, but practically an atheist
I heard you on that. While my brain cannot logically absolutely say there is no god being, I can say with full conviction there is no loving, altruistic god that has positive motives for the human species. Unless all this pain and suffering is the point of the growth process. Who knows. Nature and the universe, for lack of better terms, do not show favoritism.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
agnostic_chart.png

This is important for people to understand.

I'm agnostic atheist.
The problem with these terms is that to be scientifically minded you can't profess to know something of which you don't have evidence of.
So it's a like a a cop out designed to get people to be able to say "see, you actually have believe in something to be an atheist"

When there's plenty of people would say that all religions are clearly made up be humans.
But don't want to say that "100% there isn't magic"

These kinds of terms are very much designed with the mindset of a religious person.
And the idea of Gnostism is rooted in Christianity/Judaism anyway.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Been an athiest since I left middle school. After my cousin was killed, I had a crisis of faith at a young age. I was never really part of organized religion, because my parents aren't, but I went from praying nightly to believing in nothing. I kept my strong belief in my personal morals, though. I don't need the threat of hell to make me treat others well. I don't imagine anything outside of absolute proof could shake my belief that there is no god. It's just too ridiculous to me.
when-nick-young-the-basketball-player-met-nick-young-the-meme-body-image-1485378510.jpg

I mean, the internet part is just flat out bullshit. People love to "brag" that they're atheists. All those memes and jokes about vegans can apply to atheists in general.
But, the real life, where are you from, OP?
In the US, it seems like most people are afraid to say they're athiests, even if they live their lives as athiests.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Atheist, and anti-religion. Religion isn't needed to be a good person.

I dig mythology and paganism though, there's some cool shit with that.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Agnostic atheist. It'd be cool if there would be gods though. If they do exit, then I don't think they care much about us.

Simulation theory is good fun too

Fwiw here, in my circles, I feel like most people are some kind of atheist

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I can't prove God exists any more than I can prove that Goku does. I know Goku doesn't exist but I can't prove it. In the same way, I know God doesn't exist but I can't prove it either.

I guess this means I'm Gnostic Atheist. But I still can't prove God doesn't exist and I know it.

I'M CONFUSED MAN

Agnostic atheist. It'd be cool if there would be gods though. If they do exit, then I don't think they care much about us.

Simulation theory is good fun too

How would it be cool? It would mean you're a slave with absolutely 0 purpose other than to serve them.