• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sega may have left the console hardware business (not counting stuff like mini consoles) almost two decades ago but I consider plenty of their '80s and '90s games to be timeless. I think it's important that more people get to experience them. There is a vocal minority of classic Sega fans here but I assume these are mostly people that owned the systems when back when they were current.

I'm curious how many fans of old Sega franchises (and third party games on Sega systems) here are relative newcomers and how they were exposed to Master System, Genesis/Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, etc..

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By time I knew what Sonic was Sega left the console market.

It's been super easy to get into Genesis games thanks to constant ports, and most of the good Dreamcast games have been released elsewhere.

Desperately wish the Saturn catalogue wasn't a big ol' pile of spiders to emulate or re-release. The world needs Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I'm kind of the opposite. I was always a Sega kid and never owned a Nintendo console until the N64, and the only one I've owned since then is the Switch (excluding portables). So I'm always playing big Nintendo games way after the fact it seems.

Oct 28, 2017
As a rep from the "been at the party since 1990" committee, I welcome you. There's Alex Kidd punch on the long table over there, and Death Adder should be here with a party pizza shortly.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I grew up with a Genesis but I never played much except Sonic 2 on it. I always considered Nintendo to be much better in terms of quality games and consoles.

But that changed when I bought the Sega Dreamcast. I was amazed at its output and I was sad when Sega decided to leave the hardware business. In retrospect, while it made sense considering their situation, I was still disappointed.

Fast forward until 2012 when I played Phantasy Star 4 on the Sega Genesis Collection on the PS Vita... I was so blown away that such a 16-bit JRPG existed that was still fun to play, it inspired me to try out a lot of the Sega classics from Master System all the way up to the Dreamcast. I found many classic Sega games and came to appreciate a lot of what Sega did... albeit too late, obviously.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Was always a Sega fan. They are a shadow of their former self after leaving the console market and becoming third party. Which surprised me since I thought they would continue to make their awesome titles for all systems... And they didn't.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Yup, in the same boat. These past few months I bought all the systems, and I'm kinda deciding on a Mega SD or the krikzz cheaper cart.

I do have a complete tower now, love that ugly beast

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
My parents started me on a Sega Genesis when I turned 6, it was my 6th birthday present, so I kinda grew up a Sega kid because of that. I always loved playing NES and SNES at friends' houses, though. Oddly enough, I begged for a Sega Saturn so I could play X-Men: Children of the Atom and Nights, which both really appealed to me at the time... but then my dad surprised me and my brother with an N64 instead — neither of us even knew what an N64 was prior to that because we didn't follow games in magazines or anything just yet, but from that point forward I slowly began to appreciate Nintendo stuff more. Still got a Dreamcast later on at its launch, but never did own a Saturn.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Sega was out of the console market before I started playing games. I like Sega quite a bit. In particular, I love my Dreamcast. Also have a Saturn and have played a bunch of Genesis games via some of the many, many collections of them that they've put out.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I bought my first genesis last month. Been getting into retro consoles for the past couple years and I've got everything Nintendo (minus the Virtual Boy) so I figured it was finally time to see what Sega had to offer. I immediately hated the controller so I replaced it with the Retro Fighters BrawlerGen. I had only played Genesis a few times as a kid at my cousin's house, but no games really wowed me. I was never very impressed with Sonic, and he had some iteration of Might and Magic that child me found incredibly obtuse and boring, so the Genesis was never high on my must-have list. All in all I'm enjoying it, but my girlfriend is all about it.

draculabyte

Video Game and Metal Mashup Shirt Design
Verified
Jun 20, 2019
Always felt genesis had more solid/good games than snes by a decent amount. Wanted but didn't have a Saturn around it's time. Really enjoy the Saturn! A lot of great sport games such as Steep Slope, racing arcade games and more

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Kinda, not really? I'm sort of in a weird position I guess. I didn't grow up with their consoles, but I was still relatively young when they stopped making consoles. I feel like post-DreamCast there's always been this kind of reverence the industry has had for Sega. Like, the canon is that they stopped making consoles because of boneheaded marketing and strategic decisions, but the actual hardware and software they developed was underrated. This is what I grew up hearing from older cousins and reading online. I also grew up playing a lot of third-party Sega games I love dearly. For these reasons when I was a kid I always had a desire to revisit legacy Sega consoles.

Going back to them, I have a lot of respect for a lot of the things Sega did with their hardware and software, and like the physical design of the Saturn's controllers are much better than the PS1's. But if I had to choose between an SNES or a Genesis, or a PS1 or a Saturn/DreamCast.....I'd go SNES and PS1 there no question. Those consoles just offer a lot more of what I seek out in gaming. I also actually think the best era for Sega software was actually the first couple years they had post-DreamCast, with stuff like the first two Super Monkey Ball games, JSFR, the Sonic Advance games, the updated version of PSO, Virtua Fighter 4, and Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Me, though it's really the Dreamcast that I've played the most games of and enjoyed. Doesn't help that a lot of them were ported and I didn't know the legacy until ~5 years ago. I'm fascinated by it the most out of all of SEGA's consoles because I grew up with the Xbox/GNC/PS2 gen but never knew of the DC.

Playing Shenmue HD, Ikaruga, Crazy Taxi, and Rez (Infinite) were great. Still need to play Jet Set Radio though.

Also Saturn has some cool and weird stuff on PS Now like Virtua Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers, Sonic the Fighters, Nights, etc.

neonglow

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a fan since the Dreamcast. I wish they would port their Saturn and 3D arcade games to modern consoles. All their recent collection releases have mostly been the same Genesis and 2D arcade games.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
God I wish. Purchasing a Saturn the summer of 1995 was one of the biggest mistakes a 12 year old could make. Being LTTP on the cheap after buying a PSX in a timely fashion would have been much preferred.

Jul 3, 2019
I'd love to collect for the Saturn. I originally wanted one when I was a kid but my dad bought an N64 instead. Which was a better system no doubt, but anytime I'd play a Saturn at my friends house I always enjoyed it and still wanted one.
Too bad everything about the Saturn is a nightmare to collect for.

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
Me!
I was always in the SNES camp during the SNES VS Genesis days as a kid and Saturn wasn't at all on my radar in the PS1 era, but I waited in line with my best friend for the midnight launch of Dreamcast that he got!
I also borrowed it from him a few months later to play Grandia 2.

A few Christmases ago, my boss got me a Saturn since I am a massive JRPG fan and Saturn had a lot of gems.
It's now my favorite system to collect for and I have 21 games for it!
I collect for the Japanese version.

Last edited:

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Was always a Sega fan. They are a shadow of their former self after leaving the console market and becoming third party. Which surprised me since I thought they would continue to make their awesome titles for all systems... And they didn't.

This is how I am. It's a constant battle to defend the position that post-merger Sega is a much lesser company because they now publish stuff people like that they don't make and the Yazuka series. Seems pretty cut and dry to me, though.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Me. Kinda. I was a Sega hater for the 8/16-bit days (even though I would console swap with a buddy and dig some Genesis games) and a Nintendo super fan. I was a kid 🤷🏿‍♂️ The Saturn was the first time I was ready to jump in. I fawned over that console. Seeing it in the mags was just like seeing a revelation. When it surprised launched I used to catch a bus and a ferry just to go and play the demo kiosk. I was all in...until the press surrounding the PS1 started picking up steam. By the fall I had decided on a PS1 but I had just gotten an Atari Jaguar the year before so Moms said I couldn't get a console that year. By the next year N64 was coming and Mario 64 completely rewrote what I thought a home console game could be so I went with that.

But I don't think I've ever been as excited for a console as I was for Dreamcast. Not only did I go all in (Sega.Net, keyboard, etc) I sold my whole crew on it. We all got one and loved it until it burned out. Over the years after that I had to admit that the Master System and Genesis were dope consoles, which was fine because I wasn't a dumb kid anymore lol. I wrote a post recently about how my opinion of the Genesis turned around. I wish I would have gotten that instead of a Jaguar. So many great games I could have picked up for cheap and because the Genesis was also cheaper by then I probably could have convinced Moms to get that PS1 next Christmas too. Oh well, live and learn!

the Saturn is a much better system than the N64

Overall I would have gotten so much more mileage out of a Saturn over the N64 that it's not even funny. The Capcom games alone would have rocked my brain.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
I was late to the SEGA Party, but I didn't end up being a fan at all. Dreamcast was OK-ish, I guess. My one gaming regret is that I've never played a SEGA Saturn. Maybe that one would change my mind.

Jul 3, 2019
the Saturn is a much better system than the N64

Hmmm talking about influencing the industry as a whole and with it's impact its easily the N64. More widely regarded classics.
The Saturn library is full of gems that never got their due so looking back at it I'd say it's the more interesting system in hindsight. Japanese Saturn in particular is where it shined.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Hmmm talking about influencing the industry as a whole and with it's impact its easily the N64. More widely regarded classics.
The Saturn library is full of gems that never got their due so looking back at it I'd say it's the more interesting system in hindsight. Japanese Saturn in particular is where it shined.

The five marquee games on the N64 aren't enough to sustain my interest. I do love Mario 64 and Starfox 64 tho!

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I am actually. I didn't live through their 1st party years, but played their stuff on GameCube/PS2/Xbox and learned more about them online (and ordered their older consoles). They have become one of my favourite companies since.

It's been hard being a western fan however when you see the Sega logo slapped on seemingly unrelated games like Total War or Golden Compass. But they have such a rich back catalouge either in the past or in present with various arcade only or Japan only games. It's fun to seek out these games and the people behind them. IMO they are still kind of the underdog in the 3rd party world in that they have untapped potential and it's been great seeing that potential being more and more fullfilled.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one Sega console I was late for is the SG-1000. It never came out in NA and I didn't know it existed until reading David Sheff's Nintendo history book Game Over in 1994. And even then I assumed it was just the Japanese name for the Master System. A few years later when the emulation scene was really taking off, I noticed SMS roms with 1983 and 1984 dates listed beside them. Upon trying them, realizing a Sega console existed before the SMS was pretty exciting. I had a lot of fun playing games like HERO, Girl's Garden, Penguin Land, and Gulkave on it.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
The one Sega console I was late for is the SG-1000. It never came out in NA and I didn't know it existed until reading David Sheff's Nintendo history book Game Over in 1994. And even then I assumed it was just the Japanese name for the Master System. A few years later when the emulation scene was really taking off, I noticed SMS roms with 1983 and 1984 dates listed beside them. Upon trying them, realizing a Sega console existed before the SMS was pretty exciting. I had a lot of fun playing games like HERO, Girl's Garden, Penguin Land, and Gulkave on it.

i've still never played the actual hardware.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Genesis was my childhood along with the NES/SNES. Dreamcast might be my favorite system ever. Jet Set Radio and Chu Chu Rocket are life.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I had the sonic genesis collection on ps2 so that was my intro but I didn't pick up a genesis till 2012 and then I got the Saturn and Dreamcast with a decent amount over 2014 over a wild summer pickup

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I LOVED Sonic and the Dreamcast at around the time the Dreamcast itself came out but somehow I completely missed the MegaDrive party and Sega's entire arcade pedigree. It wouldn't be until years later that I'd have an actual proper look at Sega's history. And by "years later" I mean like 2010 or something.

The good news is I loved every bit of their history and back catalog. Huge Sega fan even though they're not exactly what they used to be.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i've emulated them before so I know what to expect. I had a colecovision growing up, with most (if not all) of the SEGA games-- pretty similar to that right?
There's more Sega content on SG-1000 but ColecoVision has some stuff SG-1000 doesn't like a version of Congo Bongo that more closely resembles the arcade, Up 'n Down, Space Fury, Carnival, Turbo, and Subroc.