• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who here got red ring of death before?

• Yes

Votes: 1,623 84.7%
  • No

Votes: 292 15.2%

• Total voters

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Yes I got the RROD. Got the console on launch day. It died a few days before that Christmas. So I was one of the first, before it was known to be a big widespread problem.

Not only a pain personally, but also for work as I had a backlog of games for it to review.

MS had a very quick system for collection and return of a fixed console. But running into Christmas made it take a bit longer than usual.

Several years later I traded in my X360 for an Elite. That eventually died, but it wasn't RROD. I still have a working X360, I think it must be a slim. Haven't used it for a long time though.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when they claimed that it only hit about 30% of consoles. I wonder what real percentage that ended up being in the end.

StuKen

Oct 27, 2017
My launch one died the week before gta4 came out. Brought it back with the towel trick which kept it running for another year. It was then fixed under the extended warranty.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Just once , which happened a week after I bought the console from a guy I worked with.

I later found out he's a massive asshole and had used the 'towel trick' to get the console running before selling it on. He did eventually give me the money back.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Never had RROD on my Falcon model but the disc drive did need some trick to open it towards the end of its life.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, I did. Distinctly remember it happening in the opening vault scenes in Fallout 3. I was gutted. Was so jazzed for that game but then had to send my system away for weeks to get repaired before I could resume Fallout 3.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Yeah, just 1 time after 3 years while playing Battlefield: Bad Company multiplayer.
Replaced for free by Microsoft, and never had any issues after.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Used to refurb them all the time and have had 'fixed' units fail as well. Remembering all the tricks people used to try and revive them now lol. Towel trick, removing the x clamps and replacing with washers, throwing the PCB in the oven, hitting the main chips with hot air, getting better fans etc etc.

Only thing that really seemed to work for us back then was a complete reball of the chip with leaded solder.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I got the RROD then MS sent me a replacement unit and that one RROD'd two days later. The replacement unit for the replacement unit has been going strong for years, luckily.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I had six 360's over the course of the gen, thankfully only one had the RRoD and it was fixed very quickly by MS.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I got it 3 times!

Launch day console died October 06, Replacement lasted 3 months and died February 07. The 3rd console then lasted until November 09.

I was out of warranty at that point so I went out and bought the Modern Warfare 2 limited edition console, that one is still working now.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I got it once after a couple of years which Microsoft fixed. Only other console I've had fail was ps2 after a very long time

wowami

Jun 1, 2018
seeing all the comments above it makes me think how close the generation actually was?

if MS had to keep replacing all these xbox's then did that count to the 85m+ figure we know about. Did PS3 actually win the generation by a larger number than believed?

Dark-VIII

Oct 27, 2017
it's easier if you ask who didn't got it I guess, pretty sure anybody who had the console early got it.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
I got the RROD twice, but MS customer service was pretty great if i remembered correctly. It was just that my console was gone for around 2-3 weeks each time.

Nihilus

Oct 28, 2017
Got it 3 times and the worst one is the day mk2011 came out. Months of hype and got rrod after 2 matches

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One, it was out of warranty (2+1 extension they gave in Europe), so i never looked back. It's good that people are giving honest answers though.Usually it goes like this: i had 8!, yeah but how many were replacements under warranty? Surely there is the fact it is an inconvenience but you're not spending more money. Reminds me of the Nvidia GPU problems on 1800€ Vaio laptops. Everyone complaining about that on foruns, and it turned out they changed the GPU's under warranty, even extended the warranty.

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
I got the RROD at uni, at a time where I was out of warranty and didn't have much money for other forms of entertainment. This necessitated saving up to have the console repaired. This is a very expensive hobby and I should have got into running instead

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
I had it three times. All three of them happened right before big games came out. (GTA4, MW2, and one of the Gears games). Its what pushed me away from the brand and I never really went back to it even thought theyre 1000 times better now.
MS customer service was so easy to deal with, though. Theyd have your info logged and a box sent out to you in no time at all. Replacements were so easy to get.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The first 360 I got red ringed less than an hour after I turned it on for the first time :(

I lost count of the amount of 360s that gave me issues. I had no problems with any of the slim model consoles though.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Only once, on my launch X360. It happened while I was playing The Orange Box/Half-Life 2. It happened in the airboat level, I think while climbing a ladder near a floodgate?

It's dumb, but I never played the game again afterwards. Too scared it would happen again, haha.

The Elite I bought as a replacement is still standing on my desk as we speak. It has been a while since I last used it, though, so I can't guarantee it still works.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I went through 8 OG 360s (kept sending them back to MS) from 2005 through late 2008.

My launch PS3 yellow lit me in May 2013.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Got home from a midnight launch with Halo 3, booted it up, crashed immediately. RRoD :/ I didn't have the money to just go buy a new 360 at the time, so I ended up gutting my collection to get a new one.

Turbocharge

Sep 28, 2020
I had my launch XBox 360 "Core" edition for about 7-ish years, I think before I got the RRoD. I had just been made redundant from work, so I was in the process of updating my CV and wanted to refresh my memory of the parts of the last game I had worked on. So I put the disc in the drive, fired it up and the console immediately died. That was just kicking me while I was down.

To this day, I still refer to it as the game "so bad, it killed my Xbox".

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I returned the original 360 when the writing was on the wall and waited for the slim revision, best decision ever.