• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who here got red ring of death before?

• Yes

Votes: 1,623 84.7%
  • No

Votes: 292 15.2%

• Total voters

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I got one in the end. Think it was like 2011 i believe. Send it in and 3 days later got a new one.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I got two, but Microsoft replaced them both with no questions asked so I wasn't really that bothered.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Went through like 4 of them. One replacement I got died within a few days of barely being used. Had my x1x also die =/

Nov 21, 2017
Had one Xbox 360 red ring on me. Was lucky in comparison to some of my friends who went through 3-4 Xboxes. Never had any issues with consoles after that one dud, though.

Lemrik

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Nope, but got my 360 really late in the gen.
Maybe it was already fixed by this time? Don´t know.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I had it happen twice, after the second time, I swapped out my 360 for a PS3 at Gamestop.

Ocie

Jan 21, 2020
I borrowed a friend's 360 and it died right when he came to pick it up. I felt guilty.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Never got Rrod, but I got its cousin, error 74. I remember the replacement process being well established by the time I had to send it in.

The Maestro

Feb 12, 2018
I had like 6 red ring first gen 360s. It was awful. They were all replaced under warranty so it never cost me anything other than time and inconvenience.

When the 360 slim came out I upgraded ASAP. Thankfully that was the end of my hardware issues with Xbox.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
I had a torrid time at launch. The one that hit the most was when I bought a second one for my younger brothers and it didn't work out of the box.
I always got the them replaced or repaired but it left a sour taste. In total I had 5 failures during play and 1 dead on arrival.

I lost my OG PS3 after a 4 years or so and they would only replace it with the slim. If I knew about thermal paste issues and all that back then, I would of kept the OG and tried fixing it at a local store and not take the slim replacement.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
By the way, I wonder if the PS4/Xbox One actually had a similar visible indicator. PS4 might have it easier using the LED strip, I wonder about the Xbox.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happened to me 3 times in the space of a year and basically drove me to being a PlayStation user. I'd been on board with Xbox since day 1, even beta tested Xbox Live lol.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
The only reason I ever got an Xbox 360 was because of the RRoD.

My friend's 360 got it, then his parents bought him a black Elite console. I followed Xbox hardware forums very closely back in 2005 - 2006 and knew the fix was super easy and would only cost me a few dollars. I asked my friend if I could have the broken console and he gave it to me.

I was able to fix it and it lasted me until at least 2008 when I switched over to the PS3. I think it still worked long after that. The last game I remember playing on it was Mass Effect 2.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My launch unit RROD'd during Mass Effect.

I remember I immediately went to FNAC and bought an Elite 120gb version, hotswapped the hard drive and continued playing 30 minutes later. 😂

Ordered a HDD transfer kit from MS that afternoon as well.

That Elite is still with me to this day.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
One of my 360's died with it. I was surprised at how quickly and easily they replaced it. No questions asked, they just sent someone to pick it up and after a week or so I had a replacement.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Weirdly my OG Xbox 360 never got the RROD, but the "Arcade" model I bought years later did pretty quickly.

My buddy got it on his, and successfully "fixed" it with the towel method (wrap the Xbox 360 completely in a towel, run it for around 20 minutes). I never had the nerve to do something like that.

Also got the yellow light on my PS3 eventually.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My first 360 (premium) got it after a year in 2007. And then my second one (elite) got it in 2008. Then I bought another one (arcade maybe? don't remember) and it worked perfect until the last day in 2014.
Those 2 360s were the only death consoles of my life, as a person who had 11,12 consoles from Atari 2600, NES and Genesis to PS4.
The most interesting part about 360 was the ability to play with it for a few days after RRoD! It just needed a towel or big blanket to put around it to make it so hot. I played with both like this for some weeks!

y4rz_xbox-360-ring-of-death-towel-trick.png

Last edited:

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
I made out like a bandit, once it blew up and they were repairing all the orders for free I hunted like 10 red ringed ones for free on Craigslist and sent them in. They replaced all of them hehe

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
one for me pretty late on... the new 360 was out by then and that thing is still running today

also one ylod within the first year... bought a second hand ps3 fat which is still going today

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
I got the RROD, except it didn't killed my Xbox. It happened while I was playing Resident Evil 5, I think, so around a year after I got it. I don't remember what triggered it but I remember the game froze and immediatelly got those distinctive 3 red lights. You know how it is, I panicked and turned the console on again. I think it didn't booted at the first try so I unplugged and plugged it again after a couple minutes, after that it booted as if nothing. Twelve years later and still working like a trooper without any incident ever again.