• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who Hates Kenobi More?

• Vader

Votes: 174 39.9%
  • Maul

Votes: 262 60.1%

• Total voters

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The official timeline has it at exactly 30 years between A Phantom Menace and his death on Tattooine. (unless the wiki is lying to me)
Timeline for Maul goes like this:

32 BBY - Maul kills Qui-Gon, gets sliced by Obi-Wan
20 BBY - Maul returns during the Clone Wars
19 BBY - 3 BBY - Creates Crimson Dawn and rules the criminal underworld, eventually goes to Malachor and is stranded there
3 BBY - Escapes from Malachor
2 BBY - Dies in Tatooine against Obi-Wan

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is Maul winning?? He barely even knows Obi-Wan.

Meanwhile Vader personally knows Obi-Wan, feels Obi-Wan has betrayed him, and blames everything that happened to him on Obi-Wan and the Jedi.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
How is Maul winning?? He barely even knows Obi-Wan.

Meanwhile Vader personally knows Obi-Wan, feels Obi-Wan has betrayed him, and blames everything that happened to him on Obi-Wan and the Jedi.
Because cartoons and comic books needed a villain they could do whatever they wanted with, and an obviously dead movie character was the perfect choice for Filoni fanwank and Dark Side power level nonsense.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Because cartoons and comic books needed a villain they could do whatever they wanted with, and an obviously dead movie character was the perfect choice for Filoni fanwank and Dark Side power level nonsense.
It was George's idea to bring Maul back. And considering they turned Maul from an absolute non-character into a fully three dimensional one with more depth than most characters in the series, were able to use him to add more depth and complexity to Obi-Wan, and told some genuinely fantastic stories using him, it was the right decision.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
It was George's idea to bring Maul back. And considering they turned Maul from an absolute non-character into a fully three dimensional one with more depth than most characters in the series, were able to use him to add more depth and complexity to Obi-Wan, and told some genuinely fantastic stories using him, it was the right decision.
It being George's idea originally doesn't make it a good one. I understand that people like the characterization of Darth maul through CW/Rebels and I can respect that, but we're talking about a guy who was literally cut in half and then fell down an industrial shaft. Darth maul was only resurrected because his design sold action figures.

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon
Kenobi fucked up Maul and cut him in half. The only thing that kept him alive was pure hatred for his enemy. Then when he finally came back, Kenobi ruined his plans on multiple occasions again. He was like Maul's nemesis.

Vader just got fucked by Kenobi once and then kinda just let him stay hidden. If he truly hated him he would have searched for him more.

For now, until the show possibly retcons all that with its vader and obiwan events.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It being George's idea originally doesn't make it a good one. I understand that people like the characterization of Darth maul through CW/Rebels and I can respect that, but we're talking about a guy who was literally cut in half and then fell down an industrial shaft. Darth maul was only resurrected because his design sold action figures.

Falling down holes and surviving happens a lot in Star Wars, don't it?

Luke, Maul, Palpatine.

Unless people see a body, assume they are not dead.

Last edited:

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Vader is more self loathing that he takes out on Obi-Wan, deep down he knows it's him that fucked up everything, not Obi-Wan

Maul just really really really fucking hates ol Obi and could not let it go until it got him killed.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Maul want even the first time Star Wars had a powerful darksider get bisected and survive off his hate, lmao.

Dark Forces two did that shit in the 90's and everyone was fine with it then:
latest

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would honestly say Maul. Vader in many ways hates himself more than anyone. Thats been established for ages. Even in the Revenge of the Sith Novel it states just how much he loathes himself and while he thinks about how great it would be to kill Palpatine for revenge the real truth is Palpatine is all Vader has left so essentially submits

Anakins self-hatred and anger is what kept him alive on Mustafar.

Maul's obsession with Kenobi was used to keep himself alive and for decades it was all plans to get at Kenobi and to fuck things up for Sidious who he felt abandoned him.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017

It's Star Wars dude. It's all about selling action figures. Doesn't change the fact that Maul became one of the best characters and villains across all SW media.

greenhadoken

Oct 28, 2017
How can Maul possibly be winning. Do they even exchange any words? Does Maul even say anything at all? He just sort of unceremoniously dies to him. Vader and Obi-Wan were screaming at each other!!!

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I feel like Maul's hatred of Kenobi is like a mental block, justified I guess since Kenobi nearly killed him, but it felt like he was hating Kenobi because he had no other reason to stay alive. Which is why after their final duel he had the clarity he did.

Compared to Vader, I think his rage is more genuine but also he gives less of a shit about him day to day. If he lost to Obi In ANH or whatever happened in the show, he'd go out cursing him.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
They shouldn't have killed Maul in TPM because then the prequels would've had a recurring antagonist that Obi-Wan and Anakin both have beef with so when Palpatine tells Anakin to "DEW IT" and finally lop his head off, it's a more powerful moment.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Vader stopped hating Kenobi by the end, realised he'd helped his son and reconciled with him in the afterlife.

So it's got to be Maul.

Textured Monk

Oct 27, 2017
How can Maul possibly be winning. Do they even exchange any words? Does Maul even say anything at all? He just sort of unceremoniously dies to him. Vader and Obi-Wan were screaming at each other!!!

Clone Wars/Rebels. Maul loses his legs and the rest of his entire reason for being (Palps' Sith apprentice, molded for since he was a child) so he blames Kenobi. He spends years half-mad with that hatred keeping him alive. He comes back like a dog with a bone. Jumps into the Clone Wars killing Jedi to draw out Kenobi. Becomes a crime lord to raise supporters to get at Kenobi. Stages a planetary coup on Kenobi's not-girlfriend's home planet and kills her in front of him. Later re-takes the same planet and gets pissed when Ahsoka turns up instead of Kenobi.

A lot of his post- Clone War antics aren't really filled in but he seems to assume that Kenobi's dead. As soon as he finds out otherwise he rushes off to die on fucking Tatooine because he can't move on from the worst day of his life. And at that point for Kenobi, it was Tuesday.

Prequel recurring antagonist is Darth Sidious

Maul should have been the Grievous figure, but at least we got Clone Wars out of it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They shouldn't have killed Maul in TPM because then the prequels would've had a recurring antagonist that Obi-Wan and Anakin both have beef with so when Palpatine tells Anakin to "DEW IT" and finally lop his head off, it's a more powerful moment.
but it wouldn't have given us the greatness that is Maul now