• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
posting from an iphone 6s, and it's the only post in the thread so, so far, i have the oldest cell phone on resetera.com: an iphone 6s.

and no i don't mean who can dig through their drawers and find the oldest cell phone they can find, i mean the phone you use as your phone.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Note 4 over here (2014)

Been using it as my daily driver since launch and I see zero reason to replace it atm

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Oldest smartphone I have is not being used is a Samsung Note 3 with a bloated battery. The oldest phone I have is a Motorolla Razer 3.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
moto e4 checking in
it came out in 2017 i think. the low ram makes it a piece of shit these days unfortunately

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I'm on a 5s. Works great, still holds a charge. I love it.

Probably going to grab the 12 Mini in a couple weeks though because no iOS 13 means I lose access to pretty much all my company's remote work apps.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I have a iPhone 5 stored away (matterfact 2 of them) that I had purchased back in 2012.

I also have a iPhone 6 Plus from 2015 which unfortunately I had to retire earlier this year due to the touchscreen acting up - I use it as a music player now when I plug it into my audio devices/car.

Currently using a iPhone SE 2nd gen which came out earlier this year as a replacement.

I was gonna buy a iPhone 12 Pro Max next February...but this year's BF is gonna especially pricey so I might wait till later in the year or wait for iPhone 13 (or whatever the next model is called) next year. I prefer bigger phones but I can live with what I have now.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I mean I own one of the very first Cell Phones made if you wanna get technical but I don't use it lmao.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
I have this enV phone in a box somewhere with a really edgy purple tree skin. It still works and has some really terrible games on it.

lg-env2-vx9100-red-cheap-phones.jpg

I'm currently using a Note 8 and it's the first phone I haven't felt the urge to upgrade. I love my Note.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I have an old primeco phone I keep for nostalgia and classic snake

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
I didn't get a smartphone till 2015. I had a prepaid flip phone that cost me $10 a month. I miss those days.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a moto x (2013) that I sometimes use for work.

Oh and I've got an old school keyboard droid that I used for work up until last year.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I still have a nokia lumia 710 from like 8 or so years ago. I don't really use cell phones, so it still works for what I need

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Note 4 over here (2014)

Been using it as my daily driver since launch and I see zero reason to replace it atm

Because that phone is freaking legendary and I would happily go back to it if I found a decent deal for it with an extended battery.

I can control not only control Samsung TVs, but almost ANY TV or cable box? I can use a docking station to use my phone like a google chromebook, complete with mouse and keyboard?

I could Teamviewer into clients computer with my phone. Take notes and save them to the cloud, and print them later. Play Android games with a bluetooth controller cast to a Samsung TV.

LOVED that phone. It is the only phone that I've ever missed.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I still use my Samsung SCH-A930 as an alarm clock (which is pretty sweet because I never need to set the time).

Just looked up its release year: 2006.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Because that phone is freaking legendary and I would happily go back to it if I found a decent deal for it with an extended battery.

I can control not only control Samsung TVs, but almost ANY TV or cable box? I can use a docking station to use my phone like a google chromebook, complete with mouse and keyboard?

I could Teamviewer into clients computer with my phone. Take notes and save them to the cloud, and print them later. Play Android games with a bluetooth controller cast to a Samsung TV.

LOVED that phone. It is the only phone that I've ever missed.
Yup, ol' buddy is a beast which is why I'm hoping it doesn't die on me anytime soon ;D

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I have a 2016 LG Cosmos III. It's all the phone I want and all the phone I need. I won't get a smart phone until I can't find anything else.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
LG306G... It's about 2014 and not a smart phone.

Eidt: And yes I use this on the daily.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
can a bonus extra credit assignment be what is the oldest phone that can access resetera?

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
LG-Xpression-2-2-xl.jpg

This is me. It's my everyday phone too, not a spare. I get all my text and talk for 8 dollars a month. I think it came out in 2014.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'd still be usinga nexus 4 if i didnt drop it. tends to be the only time I upgrade. Thankfully ive dropped my current lg g7 like 600 times and its barely got a dent on it.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Galaxy S7 (2016)

It's still blazing fast but the battery is shit.
If i could easily change it i'd keep it for another 3 years.

Deleted member 82064

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2020
I just realized that average age of my phones have been 8 years. I got my latest in 2017, let's see if it manages to survive another 4 years.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Lol it seems like a dream come true but even kid me could tell it definitely was hot garbage after playing.

That doesn't surprise me. Looking at what people have preserved makes it seem like there was basically nothing to do. But those screenshots back then lol I'm kind of glad it's got this urban legend feeling for me instead of the actual experience.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Galaxy S7 (2016)

It's still blazing fast but the battery is shit.
If i could easily change it i'd keep it for another 3 years.

Yeah, the S5 was the last one with the easily replaceable battery. I have one, and doing the replacement myself is how I got 4 years out of it as my phone, and am still using it as an mp3 player. It still works great, though there's no real reason it shouldn't. Almost a benefit of being stuck on android 6, there's no new updates to cause issues, lol.

After looking up the process on my S9, its going to suck when I have to replace the battery. The phone is so good otherwise, it would be a shame to replace it over the battery.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the S5 was the last one with the easily replaceable battery. I have one, and doing the replacement myself is how I got 4 years out of it as my phone, and am still using it as an mp3 player. It still works great, though there's no real reason it shouldn't. Almost a benefit of being stuck on android 6, there's no new updates to cause issues, lol.

After looking up the process on my S9, its going to suck when I have to replace the battery. The phone is so good otherwise, it would be a shame to replace it over the battery.

i blame apple and their PrEmIuM mAtErIaLs fetish.
just give me plastic thank you.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Currently on an iPhone 6s, which was an upgrade from a super old iPhone 4. The new location I moved to kept dropping my 3G, so it was 4G/LTE time with phone upgrade. I could have gotten a more recent phone, but I really wanted to keep the traditional headphone jack and the 6s was still getting updates iOS. I'm super simple with phones, so I'm good with this for quite a while.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
i blame apple and their PrEmIuM mAtErIaLs fetish.
just give me plastic thank you.

That was always a benefit of "cheap" feeling phones. The plastic gave it a higher chance of surviving a fall.

But people care too much about the premium feel and design. I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't want to pay the super high prices on a flagship if it was made of plastic, even though it has no real effect on how the phone performs.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Up until recently, I would have been a contender with my LG Cosmos 3 (2013). I was planning on getting something like a Google Pixel early next year anyway, but Verizon recently forced my hand. They were upgrading their service, and my phone was not going to be compatible with 5G, so I had to get a new one. My texting skills have dramatically dropped too. I've had plenty of practice using other people's phones, but the virtual keyboard just sucks so hard compared to the tactile one from the Cosmos.

b00

Oct 28, 2017
I went from a iPhone 4 to an Xs last year. Probably won't upgrade until the 16.

Sep 24, 2019
My Samsung Galaxy S2 (2011) is still going strong.

Truly an exceptional device. And it suffered many times with being dropped or put in bad conditions.