• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well. That trailer came out and like a lot of other MK fans, I'm also hyped for this cheese to release in April. And with anything relating to MK, finishers are going to be the talk of the town. I'd do a poll but making one that consists of 50+ characters is silly. It doesn't have to be "iconic" necessarily (Liu Kang = dragon, Kano's heart rip) but rather something you thought was so ridiculous it just sticks with you more than others.

Who do you feel has your favorite?

VP6RqJLmhmQMis6AwFnpWbMPV2T42OL3mosjrdgGmjp94jEuslE2Un_TlOX2tniACT23o0tLre5-usc_szOP9MtsoJV7uREB-CB555vxokKRVUeSFa5Cni69Qyorlw

Honestly it creeped out when I was younger especially with the music that accompanies fatalities, but it was also one of the things that drew me towards Scorpion and his lore (undead specter, head on fire because why not, etc).

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ytxzIo.gif

No but seriously, the best Fatalities are either quick and hella cool, or they draw it out until the victim dies so it's like this extra amount of dirt getting rubbed into their faces. MK9 and especially onward the Fatalities just became really gross and often involved mutilating the body after they're dead, so what's the damn point? The Brutalities better captured the humiliating "you got served!" feel of older fatalities.

Love the Deadly Alliance ones.

CommonVerifiableArrowana-small.gif

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
Sub Zero's spine rip still has a special place in my heart. Less light hearted and over the top than the fatalities are today; it just seemed so brutal, straight to the point, and the photo realism at the time was very graphic.

OP
OP
HiLife

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll also throw this in the mix. Sorry. Can't find a gif. Fuck a head rip (still a classic). He pulled the whole skeleton out. Lmao.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edit: nvm somebody else got it. Yup. Shit is hard.

My third would be Sektor's scarecrow.

BlissfulWickedHyrax-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
These are two of my favorites. I can still remember seeing the first one in the arcade for the first time.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I love all kinds. The serious ones that make you squirm, the goofy ones with a million rib cages, and the total non sequitur like Jax growing in size. It's all fun.

My top 3
kung-lao-mk2-cut-body-fatality.gif

latest

AllSleepyCoyote-size_restricted.gif

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Kung Lao's hat slice where they fall in two vertical halves was so gruesome at the time. The MK2 fatalities had the biggest impact on me: Reptile's head eating, Jax's arm rip, Liu's dragon.

In the modern games Noob's where he and his shadow rip them in half stands out for being particularly hard to stomach, and Cassie's selfie fatality is great.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Jax's arm rip
MK2 Scorpion toasty
Baraka's 10 second fatality in MK2

Fuck it, MK2 had the best fatalities

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Kung Lao's MK II vertical slice is perfect in every way. It's art. The slice looks cool, there is a slight beat where the opponent pauses as blood sprays out before they drop to their knees. It gives you just a second to realize what is about to happen. The banana split looks incredibly detailed and gruesome and is a totally unique animation. The audio is tremendous, it uses the most blood curdling scream in the game. Then you add the overall choreography of MK II, with the announcer, the blood dripping from the Fatality logo, and the creepy moaning stinger music. So good.

There's a reason none of those 90's clones with violence went anywhere. It's not just that MK had gore, it was how it was presented.

OP
OP
HiLife

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Noob's MK9 was definitely brutal but I think the first one to make me physically squirm was Ermac's in MKX. Seriously. Most fatalities I've seen throughout the decades was more like, "This is so over the top...do it again lol"

But his shit in MKX left me feeling like I had to wash my hands. I think it was mostly the sound of his intestines getting pulled.

_Oq3s6.gif

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Yes definitely unforgettable, it's just so perfect for MK.

Sub Zero's spine rip still has a special place in my heart. Less light hearted and over the top than the fatalities are today; it just seemed so brutal, straight to the point, and the photo realism at the time was very graphic.
Yes the MK1 fatalities are just simple but effective. The spine rip, heart rip, uppercut decapitation (and he throws the shades on).
johnny-cage-mk1-head-decapitation-fatality.gif

The spine rip in Shaolin Monks has stuck with me because of that extra heave he has to give

e439f9ee-cc2e-4796-96c4-5305213774f6.gif

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
This one's just so mean.

Was it really necessary to smash his head against the floor if he was going to turn him into popcorn chicken anyway?

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Kung Lao's MK II vertical slice is perfect in every way. It's art. The slice looks cool, there is a slight beat where the opponent pauses as blood sprays out before they drop to their knees. It gives you just a second to realize what is about to happen. The banana split looks incredibly detailed and gruesome and is a totally unique animation. The audio is tremendous, it uses the most blood curdling scream in the game. Then you add the overall choreography of MK II, with the announcer, the blood dripping from the Fatality logo, and the creepy moaning stinger music. So good.

There's a reason none of those 90's clones with violence went anywhere. It's not just that MK had gore, it was how it was presented.
This is a perfect post. There's just something about the announcer, the FATALITY text, the accompanying stinger, etc – it's a feeling that no other MK game has matched. It's absolutely the series at its most iconic, and I would even say its darkest.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
MK2 Arcade was the best... just the sound quality alone was awesome. I remember crowds of people around it too showing off all the hidden stuff. Good times.

Note, whoever made that video loves watching Baraka die lol

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kung Lao vertical slice from MKII and Noob's Make a Wish from MK9
There's something really violent and horrifying in cutting a person vertically. It's one of the principles of horror, the unsettling and uncommon.