• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ex Libris

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Bo Burnham

Youtuber in his room to a full on director

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Not YouTube exclusively, but MEGA64. They been doing their thing for 18 (?) years and they still impress me with great solid content.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
MKBHD has been a good one to watch. From a kid in a bedroom to this

PT7Hztz.png

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
I'm going to throw in a wildcard:

TheSoul Publishing

A Russian company based in Cyprus that no one knows but is one of the biggest content farms in the world, producing over 200 youtube channels like 5-Minute Crafts, Bright Side and many more, the combined reach of which is actually the third largest on youtube, outranked only by Disney and WarnerMedia. And they've really only been at it for 4 years.

They're also rather dubious. Most of their content is stupid and a waste of time at best, if not outright dangerous at worst. Bleaching strawberries to make them white, anyone? Also claim to be non-political, but have bought ads on Facebook targeting US citizens on political issues. Make of that what you will.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The top 10 should definitely include Mega 64 and Neil Cicierega. Mega 64 has been at it for years, has plenty of viral hits, has one of the longest running video focused podcasts, and the stuff on their personal channels are just as good, while having a different flair to them than their main stuff. Neil has made several of the most recognizable viral videos of all time in Potter Puppet Pals and Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny and has a pretty big library of other stuff, from his music to his content for other channels. If we have to include an animal on the list it's gotta be Maru.

Unfortunately I don't think Jelle's Marble Runs is up there at that level yet, but in time I hope they will be if the Marble League later this year continues to grow as an alternative to cancelled sports seasons

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017

TheSoul Publishing

A Russian company based in Cyprus that no one knows but is one of the biggest content farms in the world, producing over 200 youtube channels like 5-Minute Crafts, Bright Side and many more, the combined reach of which is actually the third largest on youtube, outranked only by Disney and WarnerMedia. And they've really only been at it for 4 years.

They're also rather dubious. Most of their content is stupid and a waste of time at best, if not outright dangerous at worst. Bleaching strawberries to make them white, anyone? Also claim to be non-political, but have bought ads on Facebook targeting US citizens on political issues. Make of that what you will.
They are one of the sketchiest media groups out there. It's hard to tell if they are just going after viral video money or fronting for something far more insidious.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
They are one of the sketchiest media groups out there. It's hard to tell if they are just going after viral video money or fronting for something far more insidious.
Completely agree, on both counts. But their exploitation of the algorithm has garnered them impressive growth, for better or worse. I'm leaning towards worse.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TheSoul Publishing

That explains what's so fucking sketch about Bright Side.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I would say MKBHD from how he started doing small reviews in his bedroom to now interviewing figures such as Bill Gates and Elon Musk.

Also even though OP said he didn't count I think Bieber's situation is what everyone YouTuber dreams of.

For the uninformed, Bieber's mom was uploading his singing performance's in local competitions and him doing famous covers of songs to Youtube so that other family members (mainly grandparents) in different cities could see him perform. A famous music executive just so happened to be browsing Youtube, stumbled upon his videos, and tracked down his mom to offer him a contract on the spot.

The idea of your parents recording your performance in the school play and getting discovered because of that is insane.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't a bunch early YouTubers like KassemG and Lisa donovan start Maker studios?

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Bieber doesn't count then Pewdiepie or Markiplier or James Charles or some of those other mega famous beauty and makeup youtubers I'm not familiar with.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

TheSoul Publishing

Are TheSoul Publishing responsible for any kids channels? Some proper dodgy ones out there.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
While not a huge Youtuber by sub counts, and a pretty niche audience (sim racing), Jimmy Broadbent has been making some awesome moves over the past year or two. He went from being a dude living in his mom's shed (still does afaik) making videos of him racing to hosting the GT Sport world tour events as a commentator to just recently being picked up to drive for an actual racing team. He's a good guy who is just genuine in his videos and I'm happy for him making the progression he has.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Technology: MKBHD, Unbox Therapy, Linus

Gaming: PewDiePie

Kids: Ryan's World/Ryan's Toy Reviews

Photography/Videograohy: Peter McKinnon

Other ones I can't really categorize: The Slow Motion Guys, Ryan Higa still gets tons of views, Logan Paul I guess? As much as it pains me to say that.

Oh and I can't believe I almost forgot MrBeast!

DopeToast

Oct 27, 2017
This probably doesn't count since he hasn't had a YouTube career, but Justin Bieber was discovered by his YouTube videos I think. He's been wildly successful.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah MKBHD has definitely had a super impressive career. Dude literally went from a child making videos in his spare time to a full time career in tech review videos.

Chris Ramsay is also one I'd like to call out. A small time magician who had a Youtube channel for vlogging, he happened to start doing puzzle solving videos here and there and a few years later he's blown up to the point where he's buying puzzles for 700-2k just for videos. And he just bought a new studio for his channel as well.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
It depends on what you qualify by success. I mean, one of my favourite comedy musical bands (Ninja Sex Party) are relatively sucessful musicians that have a solid YouTube channel.

Their popularity has exploded over the years. I'm sure the Game Grumps association has definitely helped, but seeing them go from sporadic low budget YouTube music videos to having higher budget videos, selling out large venues, and performing on Conan has been amazing to see.

I love listening to Dan talk about his career. He's been all over the place and is living his dream finally.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
This man went from this:

to this:

You keep bringing this up, but honestly that's hardly an impressive "YouTuber" career. He's a popular musician alright, but his success is basically decent for the music industry while at the same time nothing really compared to the most popular musicians in the industry. Yeah he got over his filthy frank persona, but if you weren't a fan of filthy frank in the first place then chances are Joji won't even be on your radar.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You keep bringing this up, but honestly that's hardly an impressive "YouTuber" career. He's a popular musician alright, but his success is basically decent for the music industry while at the same time nothing really compared to the most popular musicians in the industry. Yeah he got over his filthy frank persona, but if you weren't a fan of filthy frank in the first place then chances are Joji won't even be on your radar.
You'd be surprised how little FF fans and Joji fans overlap.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Hehe I know its silly, but I find the change to be impressive, not everything would be able to get over being a comedy act like FF.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Hehe I know its silly, but I find the change to be impressive, not everything would be able to get over being a comedy act like FF.
Hmm, Joji is like Jennifer Anniston to me (is that her name?)

She's managed to get plenty of roles after friends while the rest of the cast kinda faded into obscurity, but I'd be lying if everytime she's in a movie I don't think "oh hey it's Rachel".

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Hmm, Joji is like Jennifer Anniston to me (is that her name?)

She's managed to get plenty of roles after friends while the rest of the cast kinda faded into obscurity, but I'd be lying if everytime she's in a movie I don't think "oh hey it's Rachel".
What an odd comparison , hehe she was more visible , but I dont think most of the Friends cast were really good actors to begin with.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though he is a human trash fire its Pewdiepie. He is one of the few Youtubers that have the ubiquity that so many wish they had.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They have 200+ channels with 1000s of videos, so obviously I can't go check everything, but a fair number of them are based around food hacks that are at best impractical and at worst plain unsafe like the aforementioned putting strawberries in bleach to whiten them. Some of those channels are aimed at teens and younger children.
I checked their LinkedIn, doesn't look like they do kids stuff. I know Dave and Ava is Russian but not under them, and it's not one of the dodgy ones, tend to be the live action ones.

How To Cook That (great channel btw) did a critique video on TheSoul Publishing output like 5min and Bright Side just today, gonna watch that.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
As far as tech YouTubers go I'd think it would be MKBHD.
Links Tech Tips is probably on par or more successful in that arena.

Both are good friends and both do a lot of crossover though. I prefer LTT personally but both are solid answers

Edit: now that I think about it LTT is definitely more successful. Forgot about the Linus media group, his convention, and numerous other YouTube ventures without even including every other venture he has his fingers in.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
I checked their LinkedIn, doesn't look like they do kids stuff. I know Dave and Ava is Russian but not under them, and it's not one of the dodgy ones, tend to be the live action ones.

Took me less than a minute to find. Opening says 5 Minute Craft Kids, tho channel itself is called 5 Minute Craft Play. Both look like they're aimed at kids regardless. Most of the food hacks in the video are relatively innocuous, but a fair few involve deep frying. I've also seen several other videos that include taking food out of the oven or off the stove and immediately handle it with bare hands with no warning to let cool first. Some that involve working with hot caramel. Some that involve using hammers and even power tools. None of which are particularly safe for children to do, even with adult supervision.

edit: ah, seems you've also found Ann Reardon's videos.

bigosc

Oct 27, 2017
In the early 2010s I would say Epic Meal Time, but they're struggling to even get to 50k views on their videos now, then again everybody stopped watching when they realized Sauceboss is a mega douchebag.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
From a creative stand point : Neil Cicierega

Started off doing Harry Potter Puppet pals, transitioned into more experimental videos (a lot of the shitpost variety), uploaded high quality remixes to big success, and now he's in a band (?) making his own music. What a ride
This is my vote (though Lemon Demon was been around for years, at least as long as his YouTube). Nobody comes close to the level of success (views, popularity, meme status or whatever) compared to his level of versatility. His creative ventures are all so wildly different and yet many of them have become popular somehow. To me, unquestionably the YouTube GOAT and the best representation of the wild shit the internet has to offer, and a good throwback to a less corporate time.