• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who brough us best IP of this generation?

• Sony (Bloodborne, The Order, Horizon, DriveClub, Destrending, etc)

Votes: 1,139 57.3%
  • Microsoft (Cuphead, Titanfall, Ryse, etc)

Votes: 45 2.3%
  • Nintendo (Splatoon, Wonderful 101, Arms, Astral Chain, etc)

Votes: 298 15.0%
  • Third Party Multiplatform (Sekiro, Nioh, Control, Prey, Overwatch, Fortnite, The Division, etc)

Votes: 507 25.5%

• Total voters

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Shout out to Annapurna Interactive. They're basically a hit factory. I love literally everything they publish. This is all of their games. Not just the good ones.

Outer Wilds
Sayonara Wild Hearts
What Remains of Edith Finch
Gorogoa
Florence
Donut County
Ashen
Telling Lies
Wattam

Still to come…

12 Minutes
The Artful Escape
Last Stop

The quality is unreal.

I will blind purchase pretty much anything they publish at this point.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I feel like the OP has been woefully misunderstood (or I have misread). Is the question not "Who has brought us the best new IP this gen?" Singular? As in, "tell us the best new ip this gen and who brought it to us". OPs example was Astral Chain and thus answered Nintendo.

People saying "Sony" without specifying which IP are missing the point. It's about which IP you feel is best, not which company has the best roster of new IPs.
Then the answer is objectively Sony with bloodborne. Easy

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
There is no fucking universe where third party doesn't win due to the sheer amount that umbrella holds, lol.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo for keeping great JRPGs alive with Xenoblade.

edit: Oop, I thought it said decade. 😓

Last edited:

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
MS had plenty of great games but just not close to the competition. Maybe if someone lived in a place with only Xbox available and wasn't aware of what else is out there. But I don't think that's a thing.

But this is just new IP. I'm not saying I'd choose MS personally, but you have:

Ori
Quantum Break
Sea of Thieves
Titanfall
Cuphead
Ryse
Sunset Overdrive
ReCore
Some other stuff like D4, Crimson Dragon

Vs

Bloodborne
Last Guardian
Dreams
Days Gone
Order 1886
Death Stranding
Horizon Zero Dawn
Some other stuff like Astrobot, Concrete Genie

I can see why someone would choose either list. Myself, I'd take Sony's just for Horizon. But all we're talking about is personal taste.

Example: I might get flayed by this thread for saying it but I peraonally found Bloodborne to be a reskinned Souls experience I had already played multiple times, and couldn't bother finishing it. Yet clearly tons of people here think it's mind-blowing. To each their own. If you thought Ori and Sea of Thieves and Sunset Overdrive were the best new IP this gen, that's reasonable.

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
Third parties. The only new IP exclusives I really liked were also done by them (Bloodborne, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, etc). I'll never get the praise for Horizon beyond how pretty it is.

rapid32.5

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Horizon blew my mind this gen like Red Dead last gen. I would have never guessed after Killzone we would get this caliber of a game.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fail to see what the difference is b/w this thread and the other "best IP of the gen" thread... like doesn't the consensus of that thread already tell us what studio brought the best IP(s)?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I refuse to vote. Without any of these players current gen becomes weak.

For my part bloodborne nioh sekiro horizon and driveclub are indespensible

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
If by third party you include multiplatform with pc versions and mods, there is simply no competition , especially in the picture quality department

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Well, it's obviously third party if we count that as a whole.
  • Destiny
  • Overwatch
  • The Division
  • Planet Zoo / Planet Coaster
  • Fortnite
  • Hearthstone
  • Sekiro
  • Control
  • Celeste
  • Hollow Knight
  • Life is Strange
  • PUBG
  • Cuphead (this is not a Microsoft IP)
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Project CARS
  • Overcooked
  • Rocket League
etcetera etcetera

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I mean cmon how the hell can 3rd party lose, its literally every other new IP ever vs 1-4 great new ip from the second best competitor there which is Sony

Its insane how much yall will go to bat for this company, they make amazing games but this isnt close

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not a single third party new IP is as good as Horizon Zero Dawn.

anigif_sub-buzz-25972-1479741401-2.gif

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
>Sony
> The Order
Oh lawd.

I vote for Devolver Digital. Olliolli, Hatoful Boyfriend, Talos Principle, Broforce, Enter the Gungeon, Absolver, Minit, The Messenger, Katana Zero, My Friend Pedro, etc.

Sep 14, 2018
Why is third parties a separate option that presumably includes hundreds of gaming companies? How is that a fair comparison... I think you'd have to put the other 3 together then?

Like this isn't even well thought out console warring... What if you compare the output of the whole gaming industry vs 3 singular publishers, oh my who would win?

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
1P : Sony easily by a mile, you could probably put the other together and it still no competition.
3P : Annapurna great output, probably the greatest surprise of the gen.
I don't think it makes sense to look a 3P as a whole, if we are talking about 3P should be one publisher.
And Sony against Annapurna in my opinion Sony takes it.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Sony. Pretty solid list of new IP's

Knack.
Bloodborne.
The Order 1886.
DriveClub.
The Last Guardian.
Until Dawn.
Play Link Games.
Horizon: Zero Dawn.
Astrobot: Rescue Mission.
Blood & Truth.
Days Gone.
Concrete Genie.
Death Stranding.
Dreams.
Ghost of Tsushima.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony.

If we compare them to each third party individually they easily are the best. If we are lumping dozens of third parties and comparing them to a single publisher, then yeah third party would have the edge due to the sheer number of them, not really a fair comparison though.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sony or "3rd party" wins.

Nintendo's new IPs have been kind of fringey feeling. Some unique ideas that don't make for compelling final full price games to me. I don't think we'll ever see a new Metroid or Zelda type of IP from them. More just random goofy side projects like Arms. Which is kind of depressing even if they're not bad games strictly speaking.

MS obviously doesn't really even attempt to compete in this topic.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Third parties because of the diversity

Sekiro
Hollow Knight
Control
The Outer Worlds
Nioh
Destiny
The Witness
Shovel Knight
Fortnite
Disco Elysium
GRIS
Undertale
Inside
Outer Wilds
Papers Please
No Man's Sky
Overwatch
Project Cars
Dirt Rally
Fez
Kingdom Come
Brothers a tale of two sons
Pillars of Eternity
PUBG
Apex Legends
Celeste
A Plague Tale
etc

Last edited:

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Bloodborne and Titanfall are great, everything else first party has been boring as hell.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so all 3rd party are grouped into one ?

How the fuck are they not objectively the best then. Theres more new 3rd party IPs this year than all 3 console manufacturers put together for the entire generation. Its just meh to see the Nintendo and Sony votes , every poll on this place is just a fanboy war between those two companies anyway.

In every metric 3rd party comes out on top with titles across a variety of genres.
The two biggest new IPs this gen are 3rd party PUBG and Fortnite.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35941

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2017
I voted Sony. They have been killing it on the new IPs this gen for me. Horizon is one of my fav games, really enjoyed days gone last year too.