• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who brough us best IP of this generation?

• Sony (Bloodborne, The Order, Horizon, DriveClub, Destrending, etc)

Votes: 1,139 57.3%
  • Microsoft (Cuphead, Titanfall, Ryse, etc)

Votes: 45 2.3%
  • Nintendo (Splatoon, Wonderful 101, Arms, Astral Chain, etc)

Votes: 298 15.0%
  • Third Party Multiplatform (Sekiro, Nioh, Control, Prey, Overwatch, Fortnite, The Division, etc)

Votes: 507 25.5%

• Total voters

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So yeah, the epic battles of videogames, yet another best new IP thread of this generation, but this time I want to focus on which house made the best effort to bring us the best new IP of this generation, was it Sony with Horizon, Bloodborne, Destrening, etc? was it Microsoft with Cuphead, Titanfall, Ryse, etc? was it Nintendo with Splatoon, Astral Chain, Arms, Wonderfull 101? or was it a third party company with the likes of Sekiro, Overwatch, Fortnite, PUBG, The Division, Destiny, Control, etc I think this year we will have yet another new multiplatform IP with Cyberpunk, which so far to me looks pretty exciting with Keanu's inclusion in the game.

I personally think its been Nintendo with Astral Chain, completely loved that game, mainly due to how they managed to make a new game in the character action rpg genre that included a totally new awesome and innovative combat system (in which you could even control your character and your legion with the second stick at the same time and have a lot of mechanics around that), good level design, nice sidequest, awesome music, excellent art, all in all that game felt like Zelda (sidequests+puzzles/dungeos)+DMC/Bayo (balls to the walls stylish free combo based action and dodge based combat)+MG R (Slow motion sword cut what you will like mode)+ Wondeful 101 (mechanic around making some figures with right stick to take the advantage in combat). Some critic went as far as to call it best new ip this gen, and Eurogamer said its platinum game's best game, the game has also been pretty well received sitting at a 87MC and 89 User score in a genre that is usually not that favored (totally awesome games like Metal Gear Rising and Ninja Gaiden 2 are sitting at a 81 for example, even DMC5 which seemed to be a return of the king is just at an equally great 87, while not exactly same genre as Astral Chain (since the latter includes some RPG stuff) they are kind in the same action ballpark)

So era what do you think? who has brought us the best IP of the generation? since its impossible to make a poll that lists all the possible games I split it into these 4 categories (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo and third party) which I believe include all if not most of the possible options, please if you vote in the poll it would be great if you can explain your answer to avoid making the thread just a drive-by-drop-a-name-list-a-thon and to share your thoughts with fellow resetera-ers and maybe some of us might even find some new refreshing IPs to play.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne and Horizon Zero Dawn is a 1-2 punch I don't think even Nintendo could handle. It'd be BotW and DK Tropical Freeze if anything (or swap DK for Mario Odyssey? If we're talking Wii U and no 3DS then PS4 wins handily).

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
So long as cross-gen games count, Square Enix with Life Is Strange, easy. Nothing else introduced comes close to the impact those games have had on me personally.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I dunno, chief. Between Nier Automata, Undertale, Metal Gear Solid V, Titanfall 2, The Evil Within 2, Yakuza 0, and many, many , many more. I'm not sure how anything besides third party could win.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
New IPs are sony's bread and butter this gen. Shout out to astro bot and gravity rush too

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I won't be obnoxious and declare that there is no competition, as tends to happen in these threads, but I do feel it is the third-party multi-platform option. Overwatch is a killer, Sekiro wasn't for me but it seemed to be for literally everyone else, Destiny has found its stride, etc.

I would likely give it to Nintendo otherwise, based on the list, but aren't some of those last gen?

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
ok, who picked Microsoft

Answer is Sony easily with third party next. I love Nintendo but I don't think they won the new ip game this gen. They would win the award for most valuable ips for sure tho.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dont forget Astrobot still the highest rated game for VR.

Other games by Sony that were not listed.

-Until Dawn
-Days Gone
-Detroit
-Dreams(EA)

Sony has introduced a ton of new IP's this gen some better then others.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It's basically Hollow Knight vs. Wonderful 101, which is a tough call.

I'll have to give to Hollow Knight though.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sony has been killing it. Bloodborne and Horizon alone give it the edge over the others.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
ok, who picked Microsoft

Answer is Sony easily with third party next. I love Nintendo but I don't think they won the new ip game this gen. They would win the award for most valuable ips for sure tho.

Ori, Quantum Break, and Sunset Overdrive are a great trio. I could see how someone would vote for MS on that basis.

But yeah I have to give it to Sony for Horizon alone.

OP
OP

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ori, Quantum Break, and Sunset Overdrive are a great trio. I could see how someone would vote for MS on that basis.

But yeah I have to give it to Sony for Horizon alone.
I mentioned some games in the examples, but it wasnt meant to be seen as those games only of course. No way I could list them all.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If we're counting Third Party multiplatform, why the hell would that not win

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Dying Light
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Pillars of Eternity
Hollow Knight
Ori and the Blind Forest
Destiny
The Evil Within
The Surge

Mostly third party games, the ones I've listed all got a sequel as well or one is being developed. For single game IPs you've got too many third party games to count.

Last edited:

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I mentioned some games in the examples, but it wasnt meant to be seen as those games only of course. No way I could list them all.

Yeah understood. I was pointing out that it's actually reasonable to pick MS, they had some great new IPs this gen. Just not my personal favorites (though I'll fight anyone on QB being deeply underrated just due to the TV shit).

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne is the only Sony IP that really resonated with me this gen.

Nintendo's really impressed me this generation though, as they seem to be a bit more daring with the concepts they put out compared. TW101, Splatoon and (possibly) Astral Chain look to be my GOTYs of their respective years, especially Splatoon which is the IP I always wanted Nintendo to make; a love that cemented itself with the immaculate Octo Expansion. That IP is just really special to me.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
For the time being best new IP by one pub/dev is clearly Sony. The only non Sony IP that compete are Fortnite & Splatoon imo. I don't think any other individuals devs/pubs have put out new IP w/ the quality of Sony's this gen. If we're counting every 3rd party dev as one big amorphous blob of games then yeah you have to give them the nod.

OP
OP

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we're counting Third Party multiplatform, why the hell would that not win
As you can see, most people might see this as a console war, and vote for their favorite console name, I wanted people to explain their vote and mention why their game is new ip, what new did it bring to the table, what it added to the genre, etc, but most are just voting without saying anything.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne is the best game of the generation, as well as the best game ever made, and for that alone, Sony wins.

Horizon's story got me teary-eyed by the end, and those mech fights are the coolest shit I've seen this gen. It was incredibly satisfying taking them down and I can't wait for Horizon 2.

Death Stranding did things I've never experienced in any other game. I've never experienced open world design like that, where climbing a mountain actually feels like climbing a real mountain, and the different terrains affect your every step/balance/stamina. All of this while you're guarding deliveries and trying to keep them in mint condition, trying not to get caught by creatures, humans, and weather.. The whole environment is your enemy, and the more I played it, the better it got. I think it's Kojima's best game, not just for its design, but for its writing as well. It's a really beautiful story. I'm not surprised this game is winning so many GOTY awards right now. Feels like people finally tried it and now understand. It's easily my GOTY. This game has the most satisfying gameplay loop of the generation for me, and if it weren't for Bloodborne and God of War, it would be my GOTG.

TLDR: Sony had the best IPs pretty easily for me. Actually no contest.

Last edited: