• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Capcom: Slowly release less and less Jrpgs each gen so they aren't seen as a Jrpg company.
This thread: No mention of Capcom
Capcom: Mission Accomplished

Sadly that's practically most Japanese companies. The ones that can have bigger budgets don't really make rpgs these days.

PS3 HD gen really did many devs in and pivoting to portable (DS/PSP) wasn't a sustainable strategy.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It was for a very brief period of time, but I'd say that Game Arts did Square's whole epic, big budget JRPG thing exceptionally well. Lunar: Eternal Blue is arguably the best 16-bit JRPG ever and has a lot of tech that SE wasn't doing (anime cutscenes, voice acting, CD music) and Grandia 1 is arguably the best JRPG of its generation and its use of 2.5D graphics is better than SE's Xenogears, especially if you look at the Saturn version.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly that's practically most Japanese companies. The ones that can have bigger budgets don't really make rpgs these days.

PS3 HD gen really did many devs in and pivoting to portable (DS/PSP) wasn't a sustainable strategy.
DS/PSP was completely sustainable which was a good almost 10 years, after that a combination of politics and the WW market being mixed on handhelds threatened that until the switch managed to save it once again

Apr 21, 2018
People really seem to underestimate how big of a presence Nintendo has when it comes to JRPGs.
Well, not on Era.
Nintendo franchises are well ranked very often. :) (deserved)
www.resetera.com

Resetera's Top 101 Essential RPGs - Final Update. Top 101 up plus many extras.

Welcome to the inaugural version of Resetera's Essential RPGs List! We are currently in the voting phase of this list and depend on ERA community support to deliver as strong an end-product as possible. The Purpose of the Essential RPG Thread: Ultimately, the Essential RPG thread is meant to...

Like Atlus, they are not on the same level right now but they could be more dangerous in the next few years as they keep selling well and having excellent reception among fans.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Idea Factory/Compile Heart... :P j/k

Honestly, I think Square's biggest rival is themselves. So many strange and absent-minded decisions, especially in the 360/PS3 era. Thankfully they seem to have a bit of their mojo back recently (Octopath, DQ11, DQ Builders, and Nier Automata were some of my recent favorites, and I'm loving how they've been showing SaGa a lot of tlc lately).

I was trying to think of western RPG devs, but out of the ones that come to mind, we have Bioware (remember in the 360/PS3 era people were calling them "the new Square"? lmao) which totally floundered, and both Bethesda/CD Projekt whose release schedules aren't nearly as stacked as SE, have only one or two big RPGs, and don't really have the 'legacy' IPs to pad their release schedule. (though I'd still love a Witcher 1 remake)

So I guess that really leaves Nintendo. They're the only other company that puts out a variety of big, successful RPGs on a regular basis - Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, the Mario RPGs... and even some strange one-offs like Tomato Adventure. It's a stretch but you could even consider Ring Fit and Astral Chain RPGs. Kinda funny how this was the company whose former and longest-serving president once claimed it was a genre for depressed gamers in dark rooms.

There are some smaller RPG devs that have big franchises and a steady release schedule - Falcom and Gust for example - and even though their games are praised they're still a bit "niche" compared to Square and Nintendo.