• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character had the better character arc and/or send off across their movies?

• Bruce Wayne in The Dark Knight Trilogy

Votes: 161 14.3%
  • Tony Stark in the Iron Man movies

Votes: 506 45.0%
  • Steve Rogers in the Captain America movies

Votes: 458 40.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tony for me. He went out the way he was introduced: with a authoritative "I am Iron Man". Even the biggest, baddest army in the galaxy wasn't enough, and sacrificing himself for the good of everyone really brought his arc to a satisfying and definitive close.

I like Cap too, and Batman was fine though. I really enjoyed Logan, but the edge goes to the Marvel movies for so successfully pulling off a multi-movie saga, without anything close to the stinkers like X3 and Origins.

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
Bruce for sure... he finally moved on from the trauma of his parents and Rachel to have a real life. I liked the other's endings but I expected them to end that way.

Oct 25, 2017
Tony for me. He went out the way he was introduced: with a authoritative "I am Iron Man". Even the biggest, baddest army in the galaxy wasn't enough, and sacrificing himself for the good of everyone really brought his arc to a satisfying and definitive close.

I like Cap too, and Batman was fine though. I really enjoyed Logan, but the edge goes to the Marvel movies for so successfully pulling off a multi-movie saga, without anything close to the stinkers like X3 and Origins.
You are literally the kids in this meme.

Oct 28, 2017
I agree wholeheartedly with this post. Could never quite put my finger on why it didn't work for me, because like you said it was a pretty hype ending which most people praised in spite of everyting else but maybe it shouldn't have been so upbeat? Considering this was the final entry, I don't think thats the emotion I wanted from it. I could accept the concept of the legend living through others or Bruce being at peace, but the fact the story that preceded the ending was lacking and the combination of upbeat music with an open-ended feel to the final Blake scene I came out sad rather than satisfied when I stopped and thought that this is how Nolan's trilogy would go out. I was quite vocal to friends how there shouldn't be Batman 4 before I went into TDKR and walking out I almost wished there was? I figured it was just believing Nolan could do better, but the feel of that ending did throw me off too. Its good, just not what I wanted to feel.

Fan-booking movies and playing "they should have done this" is always a losing game. But hear me out.

The scene they used as the ending should have been the middle (maybe save for the Bruce in Europe shots which could still be saved for the real ending). Do a truncated version of the story they told as the first half of the movie and save the time skip for after the "Robin enters the cave" scene. Then, pull a Metal Gear Solid 2, where the rest of the movie is Blake is now Gotham's protector, with whatever narrative loose ends are setup in act 1 coming back to factor into Gordon-Levitts arc. New ending is montage of Levitt story wrap up, and the Bruce scenes (who you haven't seen in an hour, and believed to be dead).

Everything to keep up the pacing, and give the movie that emotional drive that TDK nailed. As it stands (while I do like it) TDKR is too long, with too little happening.

Last edited:

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's Tony > Steve >>> Bruce. The ending to TDKR is the least sensical part to an already nonsensical movie. I would have put Steve over Tony but it comes way out of nowhere and feels like it needed more time in the movie.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
Bruce didn't even become a dad. :(
DyaHfgGX4AA8Prt.jpg

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
RDJ and Evans should have shared a spot, with a third option dedicated to Huge Jackman.

As perfectly as Cap and IM's final scenes are, I'd still give the edge to Bale/TDKR. His goodbye to Gordon single-handedly makes up for how messy the film is

Tony's arc would have ended better if he had said "we are the Avengers" instead of "I am Ironman"
Y'know, Thanos...

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I loved all 3 sendoffs so this is tough and i cared more about bruce wayne than the other 2 characters but Stark had the best sendoff of the 3

Jackmans wolverine should be in here. His was the best

Overall arcs? Bruce Wayne no question followed by stark and wolverine and then rogers i guess.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
That scene at the end of TDKR is ridiculous.

Bruce Wayne, one of the richest men in the world just sitting there in a cafe and no one recognizes him? Yeah right. It's the equivalent of believing that Bill Gates or Elon Musk or somebody like that could be anonymous in a cafe. Absolutely ridiculous.

My friend is a cook at a Seattle restaurant where Jeff Bezos comes in occasionally and apparently people generally leave him alone. He does have a body guard, but he stays out of the way

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
I can't pick between Tony and Captain. Both were perfect in their own way

TDKR was hot garbage and shouldn't even be on the list. Nolan phoned that ending in like he was working for Verizon. Hell, put Logan on it over that.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
Tony's felt weak to me also didn't make sense. There is no way he wouldn't die before he had a chance to snap. Cap's was better , but I didn't care about him and Peggy.

Bruce's wasn't great but I liked it better than the other two.

TGR Sean

Nov 5, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Since Avengers 1, Tony struggled mentally with "is Iron Man good enough." Thus how he jeopardized everything in AoU. And from then on he's been an emotional wreck, losing Pepper, flipping out on Cap. And when Thanos came he was scared that Iron Man wasn't enough. And he wasn't, watching everyone (and his adopted son Pete) die as a result. Came back to Earth, flipped out one more time, then gave up.

Even in the final battle, he worriedly asks Strange if it was going to be ok. He wasn't sure it was enough.

"I am Iron Man" in End Game was his way of finally proving to himself that he had what it took to save the world. "And I" - the look on his face as he realizes he's going to lose his family... "am Iron Man" - face morphing into the determination of someone who finally found confidence that he could do it.

As he falls back against the wreckage he is able to force a little celebratory smile. I don't think that was for the people, or the world, I think that was for himself. He finally found peace of mind. He was finally able to rest. Iron Man was enough.

Goddamn the Russo's killed it with Tony.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
I'll go with Captain America. It was a really nice way to end the whole saga.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Tony's sendoff is the strongest, but they're all pretty great. Bruce's suffers for being attached to such a mediocre movie.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
The problem I have with Cap's one is that it felt minor coming immediately after the sacrifice of Tony, people were emotionally exhausted at that point. If it was done in the next movie it would have had a much higher Impact IMHO so id still choose Stark. Batman had the worst one by far for me

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
Gave it to iron man cause he died for his team. I liked Steve's ending but iron man went in knowing that he might not see his daughter again and sacrificed himself for everyone. Great character arc. No funny quips. No showboating as tony stark. Just a quick fuck you to thanos and he was out.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Coin flip between Tony and Steve. TDKR is nonsense and Bruce's ending is ridiculous. Almost makes more sense if he's Alfred's hallucination at the end.

Gave it to iron man cause he died for his team. I liked Steve's ending but iron man went in knowing that he might not see his daughter again and sacrificed himself for everyone. Great character arc. No funny quips. No showboating as tony stark. Just a quick fuck you to thanos and he was out.

It's hard to separate the two, I think. Tony starts as a supremely selfish man and by the end of Phase 3 has grown to be willing to sacrifice his life to save others. Steve starts as willing to sacrifice his life to save others, and by the end of Phase 3 has grown to be able to live life for himself. And they don't get there without each other. It's a nice parallel thread through the films.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Everything in the dark knight trilogy is more memorable
Thats how I feel. Those movies make you feel emotional in a way I rarely feel in any of the Marvel movies.

Considering how many movies Endgame was supposed to wrap up I really didn't feel any emotion at all.

I think Cap's movies have the most emotion and might be the best of the Marvel movies (for me at least). Winter Soldier is such a great movie.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
Coin flip between Tony and Steve. TDKR is nonsense and Bruce's ending is ridiculous. Almost makes more sense if he's Alfred's hallucination at the end.

It's hard to separate the two, I think. Tony starts as a supremely selfish man and by the end of Phase 3 has grown to be willing to sacrifice his life to save others. Steve starts as willing to sacrifice his life to save others, and by the end of Phase 3 has grown to be able to live life for himself. And they don't get there without each other. It's a nice parallel thread through the films.
Yeah Steve had a great ending but while his ending was nice, I can't place it above Tony's sacrifice

but that's a great point about the parallel arcs

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
edit: read it wrong

Tony

but Steve too, someone I know defended the ending and I agree with it

I keep seeing people go "but what about Bucky?" or "what about the other avengers?" for bucky- Rewatch that scene, he clearly told Bucky. Dude's acting way too coy for that not to be the case. and then people are like "what about Thor, Banner, Hawkeye, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, Ant-Man, or War Machine??" Why would Thor give a shit? Homeboy's hopping out to space to get his own shit in order and lose 40 pounds. Probably slap Cap right on Americas ass and tell him to have fun.

It's clear he wanted to surprise Sam.

The other characters mentioned? He didn't have much of a relationship with them outside of what? Ant-Man's fanboyism? That one talk he had with Wanda in Civil War? I wouldn't tell everyone on my Facebook Friendslist if I was going on vacation and neither would you. Outside of what? My family. So in Steve's case his equivalent...Bucky.

Fuck it, I'm goin' in harder because I'm sick of you and every 14 year old on twitter whining about this. Steve has been consistently fucking miserable the moment he ran out into Time Square after getting thawed out. He is miserable, because he just doesn't fit it in, he doesn't click with people anymore, so he just throws himself back into fighting again and again, because that's the only thing he knows and that's what everyone expects of him. It's an extremely toxic mindset. So the second he does something for himself, to make himself happy. Everyone gives him shit? Really? Boy is out here goin' in for some self-care and we're going to act like that's pure evil?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see Nolanverse Bruce is dead last.

Dude could've had a great character arc but nope, TDKR decides he should spend the rest of of his life living it up with his criminal girlfriend in Europe with stolen money...

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
for all TDKR's problems it's probably the best cinematic batman/bruce "sendoff" we'll ever see

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
It's either Cap or Tony.

The selfless man who finally did something for himself and the selfish man who made the ultimate sacrifice for everyone else.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
How is Bruce Wayne not winning here? Captain America and Iron Man both had brilliant story arcs but not over the course of their standalone movies, the latter especially. Everything important for Tony after the first Iron Man happened in The Avengers, Age of Ultron, Civil War, Infinity War, and Endgame.

I also voted Bruce in TDK trilogy because of this. I assumed OP meant just their respective trilogies.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I'd put Cap and Tony as roughly equal. I gave the edge to Tony since he actually died and all.

TDKR ending was dumb. I just hated that film, it didn't seem Nolan's heart was in it.

And Logan was just a sendoff, he died(finally), "So that's what it feels like". I didn't feel like there was much of an arc to Logan's character but that's on the disjointed movies from Fox.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I like Cap's the best because while "selfless sacrifice" is and oldie-and-goodie for capping off an arc, especially for a selfish character like Tony, making a satisfying conclusion to a borderline-messianic character where he doesn't sacrifice himself is so much more novel and difficult to do.

Like they could have had Cap make a sacrifice play, and that would have been "fine" in a completely expected and boring sort of way, but they went for the brass ring and they grabbed it. Tons of love for that.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Bruce is deaaaaad last on this one. I didn't like how they ended him. They could have gone the anonymous route a better way. But him just sitting there in the open? Nah. I didn't buy the whole "recluse the world forgot" thing at all. I hated that setup.

I liked Ironman too, but I felt more for Steve Rogers. Him going back and living his life then growing old was great.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bruce's ending in TDKR and it's not even close. I've watched TDKR about half a dozen times and the ending still gives me shivers.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought RDJ's was too dragged out between his actual death and the hologram message.

Chris Evans' ending caught me by surprise and it owned.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I look at Tony and Caps arcs as one central arc at the heart of the MCU. Two arcs that had the biggest ripple effect in the MCU and were on the same spectrum on polar opposite ends.

It's hard for me to look at their arcs separately when they both made each other better and relied heavily on each other in their respective arcs.

That whole, "resentment is corrosive and I hate it" scene between Tony and Cap was some real shit. And was probably my favorite scenes between the two (wish it was shot better though, Jesus lol). But it really shows how much they pushed each other to grow and how wrong people are when they pick a side in CW.

So when I look at the 10 or so years spent on Tony and Cap I have to go with those send offs. Even if in believe Nolan's movies aside from TDKR are better than 90% of MCU films.

Their endings to me were better than the meandering exposition of what Gotham does it doesn't need or what Batman stands for that Nolan would make us sit through but. Gotham is its own character and sometimes Nolan just went overboard with it. TDKR's twist pretty much ruins Bruce's arc for me and the corny Robin shoe in.

Bane presented the perfect opportunity to send off Batman with a bang but the only bang we got was him banging Talia who was somehow responsible for everything? Jesus. Of all the ways to tie in Ras again they went with that.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Lame answer, but I thought all three were done really well. If I had to pick one, I guess I might say Cap, but partly because I'm impressed by just the premise of it. Passing the torch or sacrificing yourself to save the world are things other heroes have done and that you'd also expect of heroes. But a superhero, let alone Captain America, choosing to make the selfish decision to finally live a life of his own -- after a lifetime of living in service of others -- was imo an atypical story choice and a completely perfect one. It also helps that Steve has the final moment of the film, so Endgame really closes out on his arc.

TDKR was a messier movie than Endgame, but it really sticks the landing for itself and the whole trilogy. I really like that Bruce finds peace in his life, and I suspect a lot of people rejected the ending altogether because the idea of Batman just giving up is anathema to them. But it fits with Nolan's depiction of Bruce Wayne, as someone who felt obligated to be Batman but wanted to hang it up and live a life of his own someday. I liked that achieving this meant sort of unlearning the lessons of the first two movies, re-embracing fear and a desire to live.

I loved all 3 sendoffs so this is tough and i cared more about bruce wayne than the other 2 characters but Stark had the best sendoff of the 3

Jackmans wolverine should be in here. His was the best

Overall arcs? Bruce Wayne no question followed by stark and wolverine and then rogers i guess.

I rewatched Logan last week and it is really great, and I agree Jackman's Wolverine belongs in this convo (though I'd definitely put his fourth out of the four), but it was kind of a bummer that he basically spends the whole last act of the movie passing out over and over again lol

Last edited:

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Glad to see Nolanverse Bruce is dead last.

Dude could've had a great character arc but nope, TDKR decides he should spend the rest of of his life living it up with his criminal girlfriend in Europe with stolen money...

Yep. What an awful way to end trilogy. Watched the movie again two months ago and it's worse than I first remembered. A clumsy poorly edited film that just shits on all of its characters and ends on a wet slippery fart.

Batman begins is still the best of the three. Heath ledgers joker saved the dark knight.

As for the poll, it's iron man.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I went with Cap. I was beyond ready for Tony to fuck off by that point and I wanted to like Bruce's exit more but I didn't hate it. I have a weird relationship with the Nolan movies.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Batman is just so stupid it should not even be on this poll.

Captain America's left so many questions unanswered. Like how could he even return the Soul Stone, for example.

So I guess that left Tony's for me.