• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character had the better character arc and/or send off across their movies?

• Bruce Wayne in The Dark Knight Trilogy

Votes: 161 14.3%
  • Tony Stark in the Iron Man movies

Votes: 506 45.0%
  • Steve Rogers in the Captain America movies

Votes: 458 40.7%

• Total voters

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The anonymity really isn't the main point anyway. It's that he put Batman, the cave, gotham, Rachel, Dent, his parents death etc. behind him and started living again.
Yeah, that definitely works, it's just that it's pointless faking Bruce Wayne's death when it's impossible he won't be recognized living in public like how we see him.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Tony gets the edge over Cap, but they were both satisfying. TDKR was kind of a messy race to the finish line.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Knight Rises ending was stupid as hell and that Michael Caine quote was Star Wars Episode III tier ham nonsense

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Did Cap even end up with the version of Peggy that he left?

I don't remember how this movie dealt with time travel but my assumption was that it wasn't the same Peggy. Didn't she speak of a husband in one of the movies? Someone that Cap has saved in the war?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I think I give it to Brucie because TDKR's denouement is just fantastic. I love how that movie forced him to learn to live again, contend with how he failed the city (lie about Dent), atone for his sins in the prison and then leave his fortune/inheritance to Alfred, the city of Gotham and good causes... like dedicating the grounds of Wayne Manor to housing orphaned children. I just found it the most emotionally satisfying of the three. Also, Bruce fades into complete anonymity. No one knows this rich man saved the city, gave away his fortune and restarted his life elsewhere. Sure, there's a big statue dedicated to The Batman but not the man behind it all. Also, who could deny Gordon's reaction when he sees the bat symbol restored. So good.
Looks like you came a long way from starting a thread a couple weeks ago that Batman Forever was better, lol.

www.resetera.com

Batman Forever or The Dark Knight Rises?

Honestly think I’d rather watch Batman Forever. Rises has been on AMC lately and it’s ... whatever. It’s fine ... like it’s not a “bad” movie but it was a very disappointing end to the Nolan trilogy. I actually think Batman Forever is more entertainment overall -Better pacing -Entertaining...

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TDKR lmao
FaroffMelodicHoneycreeper-size_restricted.gif

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Bruce didn't even become a dad. :(

Oct 27, 2017
We cannot.

In fact, I feel the exact opposite Tony and Cap were lame as hell whereas Bruce was amazing.

Bruce's ending was a complete nothingburger just like the whole movie. In fact if Nolan announced a 4th movie with Bale coming back no one would even bat an eye.

Not if we're only talking about the characters' trilogies.

If you have to imbue an artificial handicap to Tony and Steve that kinda says it all, doesn't it?

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Bruce Wayne is not a recluse. He was a famous playboy who would purposefully pull very public antics in order to make it seem more unbelievable that he was actually Batman.

It's in the comics and it's in the Nolan movies. That scene was laughable. That whole movie was terrible though, so by the time the ending happened I was already beyond annoyed.
By the time of TDKR he had become a recluse and his Playboy antics, like Batman, lasted about a year or two. Celebrities fade from the public conscious quite fast. The average person couldn't point out John McCafe or Richard Branson and those are rich people who try to be celebrities.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
The final scene in TDKR is such a weird thing. I don't dislike the movie as many do, but in those final few minutes it FINALLY starts to feel like it has the momentum of BB and TDK again. It's like the Magic was lost for most of the movie. But the Nolan juice kicked in for the end. Made you excited for a sequel you knew you were never going to see.

(OT: Cap's send off was great. Less bombastic than Tony's but full circle, and a well deserved reward for a job well done.)
I agree wholeheartedly with this post. Could never quite put my finger on why it didn't work for me, because like you said it was a pretty hype ending which most people praised in spite of everyting else but maybe it shouldn't have been so upbeat? Considering this was the final entry, I don't think thats the emotion I wanted from it. I could accept the concept of the legend living through others or Bruce being at peace, but the fact the story that preceded the ending was lacking and the combination of upbeat music with an open-ended feel to the final Blake scene I came out sad rather than satisfied when I stopped and thought that this is how Nolan's trilogy would go out. I was quite vocal to friends how there shouldn't be Batman 4 before I went into TDKR and walking out I almost wished there was? I figured it was just believing Nolan could do better, but the feel of that ending did throw me off too. Its good, just not what I wanted to feel.

To answer the OP though, I think Tony and Cap were tied for me. Their sendoffs were both excellent and I came out of Endgame so much more satisfied despite having a more emotional attatchment to the Nolan flicks in their heyday.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
By the time of TDKR he had become a recluse and his Playboy antics, like Batman, lasted about a year or two. Celebrities fade from the public conscious quite fast. The average person couldn't point out John McCafe or Richard Branson and those are rich people who try to be celebrities.

If you think Richard Branson were to die and then show up at a cafe in Paris or whatever and that shit wouldn't be all over the internet I have a bridge to sell you.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Steve Roger's. Tony's arc gets a bit muddled after IM3. Bale's Batman arc is just stupid.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
It's definitely Tony.

Steve has to time travel to end up with a girl who once liked him but ended up married to another guy and had a happy life after hooking up with her niece didn't cut it.

Bruce faking his death and running away with someone who understands him is a fine ending but feels like a cop out in some way he makes Gotham someone else's problem

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
If you think Richard Branson were to die and then show up at a cafe in Paris or whatever and that shit wouldn't be all over the internet I have a bridge to sell you.
People would just accept that he died and assume some guy halfway across the world who looks like him is just some random guy. Like famous people go out in public all the time, if you're a C level celebrity at best I don't think the world is going to clamor about where did they go like all the celebrities who have faded into obscurity in real life.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I like Cap better but I feel starting and ending the massive project that was the MCU (I dont see it maintaining the same level of cultural relevance after Endgame) with Tony was the right call, and made for a more effective ending

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
He probably does and doesn't hit on his niece
For the former, it doesn't count if we don't get to see it. That's the best part about Batman!

For the latter... are you referring to Barbara? As long as we keep Bruce Timm away, it's not a problem.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Steve's heartbreaking "...I hade a date." and the call that preceded his sacrifice are together one of the best moments in the entire MCU, so the fact that they paid it off in his ending makes that the undisputed winner for me. Tony's arc is solid too, though.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
People would just accept that he died and assume some guy halfway across the world who looks like him is just some random guy. Like famous people go out in public all the time, if you're a C level celebrity at best I don't think the world is going to clamor about where did they go like all the celebrities who have faded into obscurity in real life.
This is the same movie in which paparazzi immediately flash their cameras like crazy when they see Bruce walk out of a car after he's been a recluse for years.

For the former, it doesn't count if we don't get to see it. That's the best part about Batman!

For the latter... are you referring to Barbara? As long as we keep Bruce Timm away, it's not a problem.
I'm referring to Steve and Peggy's niece Sharon, lol.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Steve and Tony are neck and neck. The wonderful thing about the Cap/Iron Man dynamic is how their arcs run opposite each other. Tony makes the ultimate sacrifice play, and Steve makes the decision to pass on the shield to have a second chance at living a life.

I voted Captain America because tying in the ending of his arc with the ending of his first film is a thing of beauty. "It was beautiful" is such a perfect way to convey the life Steve decided to live after giving so much to the world. He spent his life in the service of others, and finally decided to take some for himself.

Oct 25, 2017
Callbacks and payoffs aren't the same thing.

For my money, if they actually stopped with Days of Future Past, I'd rank that as better than everything named here.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, Christian Bale's send off was awful.

I was already down on the movie by that point, but that last shot had me actively groaning.

This is the main reason I feel it should have been left ambiguous with Alfred just looking there and smiling, although people would have said it was too similar to the Inception ending.

No one is not going to recognize him looking like this.

Christian-Bale-Dark-Knight-Rises-ending.jpg
Thank you!

It would have been such a nice ending, with Alfred getting emotional, smiling and waving to someone off-screen, since that EXACT scenario was alluded to earlier in the film. It really felt like studio meddling for Nolan to include Bale and Hathaway waving back. I refuse to believe, the man who chose to leave the Inception ending vague, felt the need to staple the resolution of Dark Knight Rises to the audience's forehead.

And so what if it's like Inception? Ambiguous movie endings with story implications is like the internet's favorite thing ever.

crazy monkey

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I could not even watch TDKR. Could not understand shit that was being said by the villan. It was boring. What a letdown after the The dark knight. I think that was mostly lifted by Joker. I did not enjoy first one either. I do not understand the praise these gets. The dark knight is definitely a classic because of Joker.

Tony send off was extremely sad. Cap was perfect. I chose Tony because of sacrifice. both were amazing.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bruce Wayne only had a career of like a year and a half as Batman within the Nolan universe.

I would say Tony/Cap had the better send off. It felt earned.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Steve Rogers got to live his life in the end. I go with that one.
Remember Tony turned down the remaining Avengers to change history so he could live out the rest of his life with his wife and daughter. He felt he sacrificed enough for the greater good. It wasn't until he saw a picture of Peter Parker he had that he changed his mind to risk his own happiness and life for a chance to bring back Parker. Tony knew the risks and did it anyway.