• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who had the best conference at E3 2019?

• Microsoft

Votes: 425 12.6%
  • Bethesda

Votes: 31 0.9%
  • Devolver

Votes: 69 2.0%
  • Ubisoft

Votes: 59 1.7%
  • PC Game Show

Votes: 30 0.9%
  • Square Enix

Votes: 481 14.2%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 2,283 67.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
CGI bullshit is common towards the end of a generation and even in the beginning. It's usually mid way into a generation that E3 conferences pick up
You'd have a point but E3 2012 was full of gameplay before next-gen hit. A lot of games at the show this year are out in next few months to about 10-11 months from now. The lack of gameplay on display was significant.

I was stunned we didn't get a massive Gears 5 blowout for example and that's out in 3 months.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Nintendo just because they showed gameplay, but wasn't that great. Microsoft wasn't bad if you view it as gamepass the show, and get gamepass for cheap

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Nintendo for me. That BOTW announcement at the end pushed them over. if it was MetroidP4 instead of BOTW, I would have given it to:

Squeenix
FFVIIR hit me hard in the core. Game is looking incredible. Game of the Show. Sorry Cyberpunk /shrug

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
We knew BOTW 2 was coming? Since when?
Given the history of Zelda and this new engine, it just made sense. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, A Link to the Past and Links Awakening, Zelda 1 & Zelda 2, Oracle of Ages/Seasons.... I'm pretty sure everyone expected a sequel in this world and the ending also pretty much set one up.

Oct 26, 2017
My head says Nintendo but my heart went with SE. I'm guessing Retro just scrapped whatever project they were working on between Tropical Freeze and taking over MP4? Their absence was really disappointing.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Square Enix is the only one I thought was good. I didn't watch the Nintendo one and I see it got the majority of votes so it looks like that was the best.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo did not only win the "show" portion of E3 by a large margin, they are still absolutely killing it right this very second with the Treehouse. Should check it out! (Luigi's Mansion 3 looks incredible) EDIT: ASTRAL CHAIN NOW

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Square would have been on level with Nintendo if Avengers didn't look so ugly.

Linkyn

Oct 27, 2017
Glad most people agree that it's Nintendo. Their presentation had levity, solid announcements, and updates on known titles. Even with the AC delay, they have plenty of exclusives coming out over the rest of this year, as well as some third party titles whose developers have to be commended just for getting their games to run on the Switch. Plus, they showed actual gameplay, and not just CG trailers.

Furthermore, the Treehouse stream is providing us with additional insight into these upcoming games over the next 3 days, so their overall presentation feels the most transparent, as well. Seriously, if you have time to kill, tune in to their stream - they're always entertaining to watch as well as informative.

As an aside, EA not even being an option in the poll got a good laugh out of me :p

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
One of the worst E3's in a long time, Nintendo was by far the best and only half decent showing (FFVII was pretty good as well)

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Lmao at anyone saying "smash isnt tha big to deserve this everytime". It absolutely is. Its the game that sold 10 million in less than 2 months.

Its fine that you dont like it,but at least call it how it is.

Oct 26, 2017
You'd have a point but E3 2012 was full of gameplay before next-gen hit. A lot of games at the show this year are out in next few months to about 10-11 months from now. The lack of gameplay on display was significant.

I was stunned we didn't get a massive Gears 5 blowout for example and that's out in 3 months.
Hmm...maybe I'm thinking of E3 2013 or something. I know we've had quite a few E3s that were just filled with CG and people walked away with the same complaints. It is weird that games that are out soon didn't have gameplay shown off. My only guess is is that they plan to show off more at another event or on their own terms

Is Microsoft not doing anything else after their E3 Conference? Because not showing off more of one of their most hyped games when it's coming out so soon is something else

Danton

May 31, 2019
Despite the absence of Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime Trilogy, any update as to what's happening with Metroid Prime 4, SMT V, OR whatever Retro is working on, Nintendo had a great presentation.

It won this E3 fairly handily.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
Had to vote for Square-Enix purely for FFVII-R. The rest of their conference didn't do much for me however.

Microsoft probably had the most consistently interesting one.

Bethesda's was a total shitshow.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo basically just politely asked for all the contents of my wallet for the rest of the year. I am going to be broke because of them and the ridic 2019 line-up. It starts in 2 weeks then doesn't let up till the year end.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Square. Apart from BotW2, Nintendo was pretty boring
I think FF VII was easily game of the show, but Luigi's Mansion, Zelda Links Awakening, Animal Crossing and 2 outstanding looking Smash characters Ithere's no way I'm not giving my vote to Nintendo. Like, a lot of it hasn't been for me, but I saw other people freaking out about stuff like Panzer Dragoon, too. The only dumb part in that direct was the Resident Evil stuff. THey showed the most gameplay too, by a huge margin.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Nintendo I guess, but for me the PC gaming show surprisingly had the most games for me.

PC
Nintendo
Square
Ubi
Bethesda
Microsoft

Game of the show for me is Watch Dogs Legion by far.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Nintendo was the best, followed by SE.
Then microsoft was only saved by cyberpunk and ori.
Ubi

thats it, no more companies attended e3.

Miles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
Nintendo did spectacular this E3, but i'm gonna give it to Squenix this year. I FUCKING LOVE how FF7R looks. With that alone they won, even with Banjo joining Smash.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Nintendo basically just politely asked for all the contents of my wallet for the rest of the year. I am going to be broke because of them and the ridic 2019 line-up. It starts in 2 weeks then doesn't let up till the year end.

Same. Here I was cutely thinking I'd have a moratorium on purchases for a bit and then "oh would you like to buy Secret of Mana 3" Fuck you Nintendo!!!

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
Personal favorite is Square Enix because of Final Fantasy VII Remake, Nintendo did have a better-paced presentation although I was expecting some more bigger surprises - no worries though as there is always the next direct.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
FF7R looked better than I expected, although I'm not sure if I like the first boss taking so long. I was not expecting a RTwP battle system, but I'm intrigued. Other than that, I thought the SE conference was fairly uninteresting. I did like the SaGa section although some release dates would have been nice.

I liked the Nintendo conference more, although ironically, the biggest announcement for me was probably the Secret of Mana collection coming out today which is SE. Didn't watch the other conferences since I had no interest in them.

The only dumb part in that direct was the Resident Evil stuff.

The video was pretty silly, but RE5 & 6 on Switch was not a bad announcement. That's around half the main series portable on the Switch.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The only game showing I was really into was FF7R to be honest.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo had the best conference, but Square-Enix had the most games I was interested in (Mana games showing up in Nintendo's Direct, etc).

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft because they finally pulled through for PC Gaming.

Nintendo didn't show off Bayo 3 so I could care less

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Square Enix by a long country mile. People claim that Nintendo won E3 2016 with just BotW and Square pulled that off here for me. There's also the continuing love for their classic JRPG IP which(as my favorite genre) is exactly what I want from them. I'm so glad I didn't have to snore through Just Cause or Tomb Raider or anything this year.

Second to me is Microsoft barely edging out Nintendo. MS was CG trailers and Gamepass: The Show, but I thought Cyberpunk continues to look excellent as well as being surprised by Bleeding Edge, being weirdly into Battletoads and liking a couple other of the smaller games shown. They also talked just enough about their services(GP on PC and combined service!) and hardware for the future, as was required of them this show.

Nintendo's games did very little for me. People complain about CG reveals but are impressed by the BotW 2 reveal? 🤔 Fire Emblem, Link's Awakening and Pokémon SwSh are the only games that they've shown that speak to me(somehow not Astral Chain despite loving all of Platinum's big games besides W101 and MGRR). I was hoping LA would feel a bit grander, but hey, I'm still in Day 1. The hypest parts of that whole direct for me were Panzer Dragoon and Mana announcements. Beyond excited for both remakes.

I still need to go watch Devolver.

This question is being posed to a community who had a major portion claiming that Nintendo once "won" an E3 with an MP4 logo(and boy did that age well). There was also only one major company's show that wasn't all leaked beforehand, hmmm.

Of what I watched:

1. SE
2. Microsoft
3. Nintendo
4. Ubi
5. Bethesda
6. EA

The last 3 all had at least one game that I'm more hyped for than anything from Nintendo or Microsoft first parties, but their conferences overall weren't that amazing.

Edit: I almost forgot. 2 big hype suppressors for me. Avengers and Contra. Both literally added negative excitement for me, instead of the usual apathy.

Last edited:

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Nintendo, with Microsoft a pretty close 2nd.

Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina, Link's Awakening, Fire Emblem Three Houses, and Pokemon Sword/Shield all look fantastic. Witcher 3 on Switch is a pretty cool get too, even if the graphics might be rough.

And BotW2 is easily the best new game announcement of E3, and Trials of Mana & No More Heroes 3 are very sweet too. Empire of Sin piqued my interest as well.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The video was pretty silly, but RE5 & 6 on Switch was not a bad announcement. That's around half the main series portable on the Switch.
Oh for sure, I just didn't get what the video was trying to convey with the REmake footage and then 5 and 6, the unscariest of the bunch, get announced. Also way too long for this annouincement. They could've easily fit them in the highlight reel later on.

dkeane

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo had a bunch of games I'll definitely buy, plus they didn't even show many Indies.
Also ... Animal Crossing, Zelda, Gooligi

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo's games did very little for me. People complain about CG reveals but are impressed by the BotW 2 reveal? 🤔 Fire Emblem, Link's Awakening and Pokémon SwSh are the only games that they've shown that speak to me(somehow not Astral Chain despite loving all of Platinum's big games besides W101 and MGRR). I was hoping LA would feel a bit grander, but hey, I'm still in Day 1. The hypest parts of that whole direct for me were Panzer Dragoon and Mana announcements. Beyond excited for both remakes.

There was also only one major company's show that wasn't all leaked beforehand, hmmm.
People were impressed that BotW2 is already a thing. A lot of people also just really liked the shift in tone, especially Majora's Mask fans. It's also not CG. Ad vver all Nintendo just showed the most gameplay, by far. Luigi's Mansion also looks fucking dope, btw. But tastes differ I guess.