• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I remember back in the 90s I used to always have to lug my entire PC around to my friend's house, and vice versa, since there really weren't affordable laptops back then that could actually handle gaming well.

I remember having to always carefully plan how I was going to bundle everything up correctly so I can just bring it all inside in one go. Stacking the keyboard, mouse, and other wires on top of my heavy clunker of a desktop as I carefully walk in through the doorway. And then powerstrips and extension cables all over the place, making sure each person have enough for their set-up.

I mean, it was fun, but in retrospect, it was also a tiring disaster thinking about what I had to do back then for a lan experience.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
Always had those either at my place or a friends place. PC and tables in several rooms and the hallway.
Parents were not always happy, but it was a rare occurrence and usually during holidays.

Most annoying thing to carry were the CRTs though. 17-19 inch CRT was a nightmare...

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Always had those either at my place or a friends place. PC and tables in several rooms and the hallway.
Parents were not always happy, but it was a rare occurrence and usually during holidays.

Most annoying thing to carry were the CRTs though. 17-19 inch CRT was a nightmare...
Omg, totally forgot CRT monitors, lol.

Man, those things sucked to carry around...
What do you mean remember I still do
;D

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Oh god, the amount of time we spent at my one friends house every weekend playing Everquest circa 2000/2001. The only good thing was his dad was a CS professor or something and so for some reason had a bunch of nice monitors in their basement already so I didn't have to haul that thing around, too. Some of my best memories.

I remember one time we started gaming Friday night and when we woke up Saturday there was probably a foot of snow and still coming down so we had no reason to do anything but game all the way through the Monday snow day.

Shurp

Nov 29, 2017
You haven't lived if you haven't had the joy of something failing and having to reinstall your operating system while at a lan party.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
LAN parties in my tiny room were extremely common in my teenage years. Me and a friend would have our computers together and play Counter-Strike or World of Warcraft. We'd also do Xboxes (and later 360s) and do Halo 2/3 together over Xbox Live.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not only LAN parties but I'd also drag my PC down to the local cyber cafe since most of my friends didn't have their own PC, but they all played counterstrike.

Crazy how different my late teens would have been if I had gigabit instead of 56k.

ASEdouard

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I remember back in the 90s I used to always have to lug my entire PC around to my friend's house, and vice versa, since there really weren't affordable laptops back then that could actually handle gaming well.

I remember having to always carefully plan how I was going to bundle everything up correctly so I can just bring it all inside in one go. Stacking the keyboard, mouse, and other wires on top of my heavy clunker of a desktop as I carefully walk in through the doorway. And then powerstrips and extension cables all over the place, making sure each person have enough for their set-up.

I mean, it was fun, but in retrospect, it was also a tiring disaster thinking about what I had to do back then for a lan experience.

Oh yes. And then playing Urban Terror, Warcraft 2 or freaking command & conquer for hours on end. A hassle I would not in a million years go through today at 37, but as a teen it was a ton of fun!

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
i remember helping friends lug their obscenely huge full server towers up and down steps so we could play some Soldier of Fortune 2 overnight in a leaky basement across town.

SabinFigaro

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy do I ever.

I lugged around a 21 inch CRT, which is insane to think about now.

I remember the days of early Counter-Strike (pre-version 1.6) and Unreal Tournament until the wee hours of the morning. At one gathering, someone was passing out burned copies of the original Max Payne, or Windows XP when it was first released. Dumb kids with little money and way too much free time.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy do I ever.

I lugged around a 21 inch CRT, which is insane to think about now.

I remember the days of early Counter-Strike (pre-version 1.6) and Unreal Tournament until the wee hours of the morning. At one gathering, someone was passing out burned copies of the original Max Payne, or Windows XP when it was first released. Dumb kids with little money and way too much free time.
I remember whenever I carried my CRT around, I always had to leverage my back a little, since it was so front heavy, and when I walked into my friend's home I had to be careful not to trip on the door frame.

Good times...

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't start going to LAN parties until about the mid 00s when I finally built my first gaming PC, so I at least missed out on lugging around CRTs. Otherwise I did go to a couple before that just to hang out and I'd get on and play some games when one of my friends needed a break. I think the biggest one my friend group ever ran was a weekend long gauntlet from Friday afternoon into early Sunday evening. We practically ran in shifts and there was around 16 of us there at max. It was awesome. It helped that at least a couple of the group were in IT and were able to set up a nice wired setup for us. A lot of times we would just do smaller ones with 4 or 5 of us and those smaller nights were great too.

Lots of Starcraft, Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 Arena, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2, Diablo. Lots of terrible eating decisions. I miss having that kind of time and energy.

Now a few of us have taken to doing the local game jam that the developer community in my city puts on a couple times a year. Thankfully I just take my laptop for that, though when life gets back to normal* and they resume, I may just bring the whole rig. It's not quite the same but the overall spirit is there.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Pc's a few times and a lot of Xbox lan parties for Halo. I remember back in the day you could buy a strap for your tower to hold the power cord and have handles to make it easy to carry.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read the title as "Who else remembers hugging"... Damn, I must be reading too many coronavirus news articles

Nov 14, 2017
All my friends used to have a ISA ethernet cards that used 10base-T coax cable. We'd go round to each others houses on the weekend and stay up all night playing stuff.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Those were the days.

I remember we had one LAN party under a huge tent in a friend's garden. Another in a half-finished extension, surrounded by bare concrete and blue tarpaulin over the soon-to-be windows.

Nothing stopped these nerds!

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I did that like once or twice. It was a lot of effort, but also a lot of fun. Prefer keeping things online though. Also, consoles always seemed to be more practical for LAN parties, but only a few games supported such function.

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't been in a LAN party in almost 20 years, but they are some of my finest gaming memories.
I remember it started almost casually among friends I was already hanging out with. It was a large group of 15-20 people and we mostly got together by constantly going for clubs every Friday night. One day turns out at least 4 of us were into Counter-Strike. After some vague chatting about the topic a guy and his girlfriend in our group proposed to have a gaming Saturday night at her home.

It became a habit of us and for several months we had on average one of these gaming nights every two weeks or so, usually involving 6-to-10 people.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite gaming sessions was playing Neverwinter Nights with six other guys in my friend's basement. We're just hanging around this bar while my friend gets the quest for us and all of a sudden the entire bar is attacking. It turns out my other friend went into someone's room and failed a stealth check to steal. The NPC then attacks him and sets off a dominoe effect where we end up murdering 20+ villagers. Good times.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
For sure. It really was a blast.. miss it.

All the Quake ctf on E4M3 with my friends atmy friends place willAlways stay dear to me.

My first big LAN was in 1998 I Believe, over 50 People which was huge.. and then came Dreamhack and so on which obviously was even bigger.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
OP, you just had to go there and make me nostalgic and tearful today, didn't ya...
Yes, I miss everything "in-person" in general. Online is cool and all, but it doesn't compare. Miss them "Computer Clubs" that we had here too.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
My parents wouldn't have allowed me to drag around the household PC back then, but I definitely did bring my small TV and console over to friends' places for gaming sleepovers. Very fun. We'd have like four or five TVs set up in a single room, cables everywhere, lots of snacks. Good times.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
one of my friends had FOUR computers so we didn't' need to. just went round his place to play Starcraft or Unreal lol

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember me and my friends having to use a construction cart in order to carry my friend's huge CRT monitor where the LAN party was gonna happen.

Oct 28, 2017
Obligatory:

you-go-guy.jpg

you-go-guy-2.jpg

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Yes. Yes, I do.

Luckily one of my best friends lived next door. So it was a short walk with my monitor and PC.

We played a shit ton of Age of Empires, Battlefield 1942, Warcraft 3 and GTA during these LAN parties. Was a lot of fun.

Oct 27, 2017
I slipped a disc in my spine when I tried to move my CRT-screen while sitting down, I just came home from the first Dreamhack and moved the screen over to the car seat closest to the door and my back died haha.

But man, I really miss the weekend LAN parties with my friends.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm much too young to have been around in the heyday of lan parties. But I did build my current PC in a tiny mini-ITX case specifically so I could bring it to friends' places on the train, which has led to a couple impromptu sessions of Left 4 Dead.

Deleted member 4262

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My friends and I did this often in the 2000s. I also went to my city's biggest LAN event many times, with about 600-800 people attending every year. Shit was wild.

11023901_1030910700269929_831582992143025848_o.jpg

1799139_1030910090269990_5085902902263639974_o.jpg

1039718_931452170215783_6591990937238333533_o.jpg

PS: If you're Norwegian, you can see one of our biggest current TV personalities in the last pic.

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
The most absurd bit of lugging I've done - not actually for a LAN party, although it was at the time when I would do so - is taking my PC home from University at Christmas.

In a suitcase.

On a train.

JesseDeya

Oct 27, 2017
My steel rig was so heavy I installed a bathroom towel rack on the top as a handle!

The 17" Sony Trinitron might be the reason I now have lower back issues :)

Not only did I lug all that, but as we raced F1 / Rally / GPL / NASCAR / V8s I also lugged my steering wheel, pedals and office chair with me.

Moving CRTs was a PITA, but what I most remember was that 1/3 of the LAN Party time was about setting up the network.

And another third was sharing "video" files.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Miss lugging around my CRT while it digs into my arm. Haven't taken my comp anywhere in the past 15 years. Would be a lot harder now with having a 75" tv for a monitor.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know anyone who games on a laptop, gaming or otherwise.
We still do LAN parties and we all have proper machines.

Deleted member 10234

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it was crazy, can't believe it's been almost six months.

Living that mini-ITX life, I can just throw my PC and all the accessories apart from the monitor in a backpack

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Sure, big tower case.
I also had a 21 inches monitor (that weighed a metric ton) , but a "portable" 17 inches was what i carried around at Lan Parties or Demo events.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I never actually did it. Prior to my family getting broadband, there was no way in hell they would have let me take the only computer we had to a friends house. Dial-up it was!

By the time I did any sort of LAN party, I had a laptop and the person's house we played at had WiFi and broadband. The few friends I have that play video games are all console. When Dark Souls remastered was released, I had a couple friends over with TVs and we played co-op together which was a lot of fun.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
For a 2 1/2 half weeekend, you'd always need at least 1 day to set everything up and configure windows and whatnot so it actually works.

I remember a LAN where all we did was playing Magic since nothing worked.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Nope. Couldn't even afford to have a PC capable of gaming for quite some time, imagine playing online games with others, or carrying it on the street.

That said, I played a lot with my friends in lan houses. It was the best.