• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I've decided that I'm going to upgrade my gamepad to either the PS5 or Series X controller.

I haven't decided which, and it might come down to how well they work with PC and older consoles.

I am hoping that Sony can finally commit to proper xinput compatibility. The PS4 is great but I've had so many issues connecting to PC and Steam controller wrapper isn't perfect, and DS4windows fails too. I wish it was robust like 8bitdo's offerings.

I'm suspicious about the new Xbox dpad because Microsoft have made so many atrocious goofy dpads.

Nevertheless, I'm excited for new controllers and I'll be happy enough with my PC and current consoles until 2022 or so.

Who else is getting a new gamepad?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even know the old gamepads would work with the new consoles, so I was planning to get them by default. I assume a new one will still come with each console.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm good on controllers at the moment. The Dual Sense seems really good, but not really doing anything differently than the current DS4 or XB1 controller.

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
OP means using new controller for PC, not current gen consoles.

I'm fine with Steam pad, though I'm always open to new controllers for different types of games. A new Steam pad might be on the way too.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
The DS5 looks bad and has a stupid name and MS is never very good with controllers. No reason to downgrade from the COAT, DS4.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Series x controller looks sturdier and I really want that floating dpad and share button

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I bought a XBOX One controller very recently so I'm good for a while.

Unless I hear stories of how it being way more comfy than than One controller.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I'll be buying a DualSense to become my new go-to controller on PC. I need that USB C charging, the DS4 is the last micro USB device in my household lol. Plus it should hopefully have a better battery life.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I will most likely keep using my X360 pad for wireless.

I have a cheap wired XONE 3rd party pad which is amazing, so I'm keeping that too.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

So your What... aged so badly, it didn't get to age at all.

www.resetera.com

PlayStation 5: Answering your questions on compatible PS4 peripherals & accessories News

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/08/03/playstation-5-answering-your-questions-on-compatible-ps4-peripherals-accessories/
www.resetera.com

Xbox Series X compatible with ALL Xbox One Controllers, DS4 only for PS4 BC titles on PS5

Searched and couldn't find anything on either, lock if old. https://www.gamesradar.com/dualshock-4-pads-wont-work-with-ps5-games-playstation-confirms/ The article also states certain specialty controllers like the PS Move wands will be compatible for PSVR titles. Also the Playstation Camera...
www.resetera.com

Sony's Dualshock 4 restriction for the PS5 raises concerns of accessibility

There has been a lot of discussion about how Sony will not allow the DualShock 4 to be used on the PS5, but I wanted to link some comments that show things from another perspective. https://caniplaythat.com/2020/08/03/ps5-games-are-not-compatible-with-dualshock-4-controller/ The folk...