• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
It annoys me too as I prefer the DS4. How do I make sure games that can display them actually do?

Are you running DS4Windows? If so that may be messing with it. For example when I load up Prey with DS4windows still open, it basically disguises the PS4 as an Xbox One controller, with Xbox button prompts. But when I run it without DS4windows, it automatically displays the PS4 button prompts.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you running DS4Windows? If so that may be messing with it. For example when I load up Prey with DS4windows still open, it basically disguises the PS4 as an Xbox One controller, with Xbox button prompts. But when I run it without DS4windows, it automatically displays the PS4 button prompts.
no I do not have DS4windows. I will test it with AC Origins. That does have ps4 prompts on the pc version right?

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
Partially why I stopped playing on my pc. Remembering what Xbox button mapped to which ds3 button was a chore.

Oublieux

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely would like this to become more common, but I generally don't have a problem as I map out button placements via position and not their symbol.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
People pretending to have DS4 commands on a PC game running on WINDOWS. Lol

Why are you guys calling lazy devs because they are not putting Ds4 prompts on a PC GAME running on WINDOWS platform when the standard is Xbox prompts?
Standards change and evolve, especially on PC.

DS4 is a very popular controller just going by the number of PS4s sold. Therefore new games really should support it as a control option since the controller is pretty much plug and play on PC.

Deleted member 23965

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have 3 controllers for my laptop: a Logitech g510; Steam controller and a DS4. I have no problem switching from one to the other as my mind seems to map the keys without any issue regardless of on screen prompts. However, Nintendo controller layout is confusing and throws me for a loop every time I switch from the PC to Switch.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
Bump cause it's fucking disgusting.

I found this thread while googling how to have PS4 icons in The Witness. Turns out I couldn't find any mods.

Sekiro doesn't have PS4 button icons either. The same is true for Blue Reflection.

ALL DEVS HAVE TO DO IS USE A PS4 BUTTONS PACK LIKE WTF

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's pretty hit and miss in my experience. Worst case you can mod them in for some games. Doesn't bother me as much since i personally prefer the xbox controller for majority of games I play on PC anyway.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Well Microsoft controllers are default controllers on PC. Devs might as well add prompts for Switch also while they at it.

Amirnol

Oct 27, 2017
It's very annoying. I have to mod 90% of PC games I play to add PS4 button icons, and most of these games have them built in already but just don't give the option to switch them.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

I found this thread while googling how to have PS4 icons in The Witness. Turns out I couldn't find any mods.

Sekiro doesn't have PS4 button icons either. The same is true for Blue Reflection.

There's a mod for Sekiro. It actually just enables the prompts that are already built into the game, so it's bizarre a mod is required at all.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I had no idea this was still a thing. I prefer the Xbox 360 controllers so that's all I use. It seems like it should be a pretty easy thing to fix.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm annoyed by the lack of 360 buttons support even though it is the most used controller on steam.

Like what the fuck are these?

XB1-Menu-View-Buttons-Details.jpg

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I'm not sure how true this is but i heard that devs have to pay Sony a fee in order to incorporate PS4 icons so that is likely why alot of them lack it. It's a shame. Again though, don't quote me on this.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I mean "fucking disgusting" is hilariously overdoing it considering the actual disgusting things going on in the industry. And this is an old ass thread.

It's annoying, but I'm guessing since the PC industry default has been Xbox layout for so long it's just the standard coverage for most devs.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Yeah, it's annoying since the DS4 is my go to gamepad, but I do have the Dreamcast/Xbox button layout memorized.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm used to it now, but I don't see why they can't add an option for DS4 prompts.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Fight the good fight OP, but I'm guessing you are fighting a losing battle here.

The Xbox controller has been the default on PC for years, and even if a lot of PS users play on PC, I can't see it ever becoming default. If you want every game to have proper button prompts, I'd consider buying an Xbox controller.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a joke? I reinstalled it to check, as PC Gaming Wiki says that it has support for DualShock 4 button prompts, but the game doesn't actually seem to use button prompts anywhere?
I do agree that it should be trivial for developers to support this in a lazy way by having an option in the menus to select which prompts you want to see, and there's really no excuse to not have it.

I'm annoyed by the lack of 360 buttons support even though it is the most used controller on steam.

Like what the fuck are these?

XB1-Menu-View-Buttons-Details.jpg
It's true, I actually find Xbox One prompts more annoying than a lack of PlayStation prompts, even when I'm using a DualShock 4.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I use a 360 controller.

Tried a PS4 one but the game audio cuts out and you have delve deep into the device settings. It's not worth the hassle to me.

Might look into get a XBO controller but they're quite expensive and I'm not really arsed. 360 con still holds up these days, not like the PS3 con, that is awful.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
I'm not a pc gamer but I do watch some folk who play mainly on pc. I always crack a smile when avoidingthepuddle messes up a button prompt and complains that x is square.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

"Hey guys, look, you can actually plug the PS4 console controller into USB and windows will pick it up and you can use the basic functions of it in games, even though this is a Windows/Microsoft platform that's somewhat tied to the Xbox controller. and that this controller has never been advertised as a PC controller, and is 100% for use with the PS4, that's pretty cool huh? PS3 controller didn't do that"

4 years later "IT"S FUCKING DISGUSTING XYZ GAME DON"T FULLY SUPPORT PLAYSTATION CONTROLLER ON WINDOWS"

Fucking lol.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
its 4 buttons, how hard is it to remember...
xy
ab

for what do you need ps4 prompts? you cant remember xy/ab?

baffles me everytime i read about it. i use ds4 myself and never ever thought to myself "damn i need ps4 prompts"

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Pretty sure the PlayStation inputs are licensed, meaning you have to pay Sony for the right to use them. I have heard that a few times but never got direct confirmation for it.

I always get a little surprised when I see people struggle with this stuff. With Microsoft, SEGA, SNK and really most platforms platforms it was always a direct order with the letters or numbers going left to right. Nintendo consoles are a bit weird with how they handled things going into Super Nintendo, but it was still pretty basic. GameCube and Nintendo 64 were kinda messy though I guess.

PlayStation buttons are really the only 'weird' ones, especially with how they have handled X and O in different regions. Even there it was still only four face buttons.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Pretty sure the PlayStation inputs are licensed, meaning you have to pay Sony for the right to use them. I have heard that a few times but never got direct confirmation for it.

The symbols are trademarked in select contexts, but this doesn't mean you have to license them to use them as prompts in your game:

That this precludes developers from including the prompts in their games is actually a myth. Most notably, the Steam Controller API ships with DualShock prompts that developers are free to use in lieu of their own. Xbox prompts and Pro Controller prompts are also included.

It's just one of those things that has endured so long that it seems true, like "The PS2 Final Fantasy games are PlayStation-exclusive because Sony had a hand in making them."

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's so easy to translate the Xbox controller prompts into their PS equivalent that this doesn't really affect me.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
It used to bother me a bit when I used to use a PS4 controller on PC, that said I'm so used to both controllers that I can still "translate" quickly in my mind which button I need to press regardless. I'm back to using an Xbox One controller for the most part now though since I got sick of all the headaches using a PS4 controller on PC creates. DS4windows kind of works, but even a light breeze can sometimes stop it from getting 'exclusivity' for the controller on your PC. Steam controller api does work but then you have to run everything through Steam to use it(or use hacks which don't always work), which becomes more and more of a pain as we see more launchers being created. I still occasionally use a PS4 controller if I have a reason to, but that's not massively often.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
It becomes muscle memory. But then you have moments like Dark Souls on the Switch with it's A and B button.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I thought that this was fixed via steam about a year ago? Or did that only apply to BPM and is still on a game by game basis?
It makes games think you using an Xbox pad, it doesn't change the button prompts, however.

The Witcher 3 also supports them natively, although it got patched in after release. And this is from 2015. Wish more games would do that.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Don't really care, I've played enough Xbox and Playstation to know what the equivalent prompts are.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not terribly bothered by it because I was so used to the 360 controller that it usually doesn't even register in my mind that I'm using a DS4.

However, there are definitely hectic moments in some games where my mind goes blank and I reflexively look down at the controller and that's when muscle memory goes out the window and my mind tries to match up prompts to DS4 buttons, leading to some annoyance.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
As a linux gamer I must say that lack of PS3/4 button prompts is indeed real annoying.
Sony Controllers have been supported on Linux for waaaaaaaayyy longer than XBOX controller so when you release a linux version and you have no PS3/4 button prompts you're leaving a bad taste in the mouth of half of your linux customers like real bad .
Why ? Because again historically the first community drivers for gamepads that were reliable enough to use with our operating system was USB PS2 controller adapters , then the PS3 controllers proper , then PS4 controllers were supported quicker than XBOX one controller (hell its only this year that the wireless dongle for XBOX one has finally been supported before that you had to use XBOX One controllers wired , or go back to XBOX 360 controllers if you wanted a wireless xbox contoller experience)

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't quite say annoyed but it is an inconvenience. I hope they implement this on future controllers for ALL games not just certain ones but if it doesn't happen then I ain't sweating.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would be interested to see what the most popular controller options are for PC. I wonder if X1 controller has overtaken 360.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
What annoys me more than games not having DS4 icons is games having support for them but no manual toggle for them in the options menu. Since I use a DS4 with Steam Input over bluetooth I basically never see DS4 icons that games officially support, I'll quote myself from somewhere else:

I'm honestly baffled that this isn't a thing as from my understanding this should be an absolute trivial thing to include. I'm talking about games like Rocket League and Dragonball Xenoverse 2 for example, these games show different button-icons depending on the input method, be it a Dualshock 4 controller, a Xinput Controller or keyboard and mouse which is a great thing it just seems that all developers that implement this miss a very obvious thing.

I use a Dualshock 4 wireless over bluetooth along with Steam Input and it works absolutely perfect and is one of the greatest things to happen to PC gaming alone because of the many options you get, I can control everything with my controller while gaming thanks to it, it just leads to a small flaw that no developer seems to realize.

By default when using a DS4 over Steam Input it gets emulated as a XBOX controller which makes sense because many games support just that though that leads to the problem that games like Rocket League, which have native DS4 support, shows the XBOX icons despite a DS4 being connected. To get the game to show the Dualshock icons you have to disable Steam Input and let the game handle the DS4 instead of Steam which is slightly annoying. But hey Steam has a per-game "Force Steam Input Off" setting that does exactly that so you can enjoy games that support it with Dualshock icons, so everything is great right? Except no it isn't because this only works when the DS4 is connected wired, if you disable Steam Input per game while wireless the controller will cease to function at all for that game.

The only way to get it to work is to disable Steam Input globally and restart Steam, then re-enable it and restart Steam again if you want to play another game that needs it. I find that frustrating because in my eyes this is so easy for the game developers to solve. If the game already supports DS4 icons on PC like Rocket League does, why can't we have manual override in the options menu. A game could simple have an option called:

Controller Icons:

AUTO - Changes depending on used input device
Show XBOX icons - Always show XBOX icons
Show DS4 icons - Always show DS4 icons

I already tweeted the Rocket League devs about it a year or two ago and got told they will consider it but so far nothing happened. I really don't get why this isn't a thing.

Don't get me wrong, I can live with XBOX icons just fine but it seems so easy to implement that it honestly baffles me.

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
I think one idea is for pc games adapt some of the logic seen on Switch games.

Instead of showing the button Letter/symbol just highlight what of the four buttons you need to use.

hGwa6ho.png