• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did you grow up with the SNES versions?

• Yes, I grew up with the SNES remakes too

Votes: 142 29.9%
  • No, I grew up with the originals. Get off my lawn!

Votes: 178 37.5%
  • Grew up with both

Votes: 140 29.5%
  • Grew up with neither. My childhood was robbed.

Votes: 15 3.2%

• Total voters

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I grew up on the snes versions. I actually never knew that those super mario games were remakes of the nes versions till a few years ago.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
From what I understand, the original All-Stars in your pic was released in 1993 and then they released a new version of All-Stars that included SMW in 1994. It wasn't bootlegged. It was an official release.

I never even knew there was a version of All-Stars that existed without SMW until many years later when I found out through the internet.
The Dual cart was a pack-in
The Single cart was the commercial release

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up with both, and for the longest time preferred All Stars. But man nothing beats the original games on original hardware. I've got SMB1 and 3 on NES and All Stars + World on SNES.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
I did, always thought they were weirdo games compared to super Mario world, still do tbf.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
Grew up with both. First playing SMB on my cousin's NES after school. Later, my parents bought a NES with SMB/Duck Hunt pack and later on SMB3. Great times... After a few years a different cousin got the SNES with Super Mario World and it blew me away. He lived far away so didn't had the chance to play too much (only in my imagination). Finally I convinced my parents to get a SNES with the recently launched Super Mario All Stars pack, and I was in heaven.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So that's why I remembered all those games looking significantly better then when I replayed them on the Virtual Console. I owned all-stars

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Grew up with both.

Got introduced to SMB1, 2 and 3 via NES from my cousins and rented Super Mario All stars on SNES soon after.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I only had the original SMB 3.

I think it was the only game I had for the NES and then went all sega until the N64.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I didn't own an NES as a kid so my experience with those games was via All Stars. I would play SMB1 at friends places on an NES. I didn't play SMB2 or 3 on NES for the first time until a year or two ago.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
I played them on the NES originally, but we sold our NES when the SNES came out, so by the time All-Stars came out, it already felt like a bit of a nostalgic throwback. Looking back at it now, it was only two years after the SNES launched in the States, but it felt longer to nine-year-old me.

If I had to guess, I probably spent more time with the SNES versions since you could save your progress.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up with both I own both.

The originals are better because of the physics, imo. But at this point, it doesn't matter because there's a romhack that puts the original physics in All Stars.

I should probably get around to patching my rom, as a matter of fact.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
We never had a NES when we were young because we were poor, but once my parents made a little money, we got a SNES for Christmas with Super Mario All Stars, so those are the versions I grew up with. As a result, I kinda look down on the NES versions because...well, the remakes are the same but better.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
5920130877-40c12236aa-b.jpg

I don't know if SMAS on its own was ever sold at retail before it became a pack-in along with SMW. I *do* know that, when first released, it was only available to those who sent sent away for it with proof of purchase of a system. That's how I got my copy. Almost beats their "free copy of Dragon Warrior when you subscribe to Nintendo Power" offer years prior.

Also, anyone claiming SMB1 and SMB2 (Lost Levels) is better in All-Stars obviously aren't aware how badly the "brick bug" ruins the gameplay. The other changes implemented I can forgive as part of the remake process, but you can't convince me those physics were on purpose.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Are the physics borked in all 4 games or just SMB 1 and Lost Levels?

I never owned an actual copy of Lost Levels, but for 1-3, it's all of them. And I wouldn't say that the physics are borked, they're just different.

A stupid change, especially when we get things like the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy where the physics are the game and the only thing they ruined was the music, but it's still playable.

But if you've played the originals a lot, it just feels wrong.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know if SMAS on its own was ever sold at retail before it became a pack-in along with SMW. I *do* know that, when first released, it was only available to those who sent sent away for it with proof of purchase of a system. That's how I got my copy. Almost beats their "free copy of Dragon Warrior when you subscribe to Nintendo Power" offer years prior.

Also, anyone claiming SMB1 and SMB2 (Lost Levels) is better in All-Stars obviously aren't aware how badly the "brick bug" ruins the gameplay. The other changes implemented I can forgive as part of the remake process, but you can't convince me those physics were on purpose.
Super Mario All Stars had to have been a retail thing, because I never sent any of those little things in and I have a copy. Anything inside of the game boxes or cases that weren't the actual games never left the packaging. My brother and I never thumbed through anything and my parents never cared enough, so it being available at Toys R Us or Walmart is the only thing that makes sense.

Deleted member 60402

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 3, 2019
Not me, never even knew about Super Mario All Stars. Only ever play super mario bros 1 and 3 at my cousin place, while my first mario game and first game being super mario world.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario All Stars had to have been a retail thing, because I never sent any of those little things in and I have a copy. Anything inside of the game boxes or cases that weren't the actual games never left the packaging. My brother and I never thumbed through anything and my parents never cared enough, so it being available at Toys R Us or Walmart is the only thing that makes sense.
I suppose so. I have vague memories of the game only being available via the offer, but after they exhausted their supply they could have reprinted more and made those available at retail. I'm sure there's some ancient software sales records that reflect that. If both the offer and the game were available at the same time why mail away for it and not just present participating retailers with the coupon and proof of purchase and get it from them directly?

Oddly the game's wiki page makes no mention of the offer. But the game was reviewed in all the major english-language magazines, suggesting that it got a proper release.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Grew up with the NES versions, but have played the All Star versions more recently and it was nice, I guess! It felt exactly the same but looked a little nicer. It was instantly a massive improvement just from being on one cartridge and having the SNES controller.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017

Yah i remember getting SMAS this way. It was great having all OG mario games (plus lost levels we didn't get in the US) in one package.

lmog

Jun 17, 2019
Brazil
I did. Never had a NES, my first console was a Master System (it was huge in Brazil), my second was a SNES with the All-Stars + World cartridge.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
SNES versions for me. It's possible my first exposure to SMB3 was on the NES because my grandparents, who lived 12 hours away, had it on NES, but the SNES was our home console and I played the shit out of SMB All Stars.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I had SMB1 and 3 on NES, and All Stars + World (recall it being packed with the console).

I never liked the SNES versions due to the physics changes. As a kid I didn't know what, how, or why, but they didn't play like what I was used to so I would play the originals given the choice. Only thing I liked about the All Stars versions were the ability to save, but ironically the first time I beat SMB3, no whistles, was the NES version without saving. Left on over the course of three days.

Oct 28, 2017
*raises hand*

My family didn't have an NES so I only played the originals at friends' houses. Then we got an SNES and All-Stars was one of my earlier purchases.

Man, just looking at that cartridge brings back memories. A perfect first "video game" for any kid to have, yeah? The reason why I say "video game" is because it's technically a collection of games and not just one game. It's got SMB1, SMB2 (both Japanese and American versions), SMB3, and SMW. The first three are remade with SNES visuals while SMW remains unchanged as it was originally an SNES game in the first place.

The version of SMW in this cart actually adds unique sprites when playing as Luigi in two-player mode. In the original version he was just a palette swap of Mario. It also adds a fourth save slot.

The Mario Wiki claims that the SMAS+SMW cart only got a standalone retail release in Europe (and was never released at all in Japan).

OP
OP
daTRUballin

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
The Mario Wiki claims that the SMAS+SMW cart only got a standalone retail release in Europe (and was never released at all in Japan).

Huh, that's interesting..........I live in North America, but I have no idea how our family got our cartridge. The SNES I played on technically belonged to my mom lol. I must've first played that cartridge around 2000 or 2001. No idea how long we had it for at that point.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
SNES was my first console, so I'm one of those. I remember playing SMB3 for NES later and being confused why it was all wrong before remembering how I originally played it.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I owned the original (no SMW) and well, talk whatever trash you want about the remakes but I beat Lost Levels world D and nobody can take those scars away from me!! ;_;

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Anyone else like me play Super Mario Bros. on NES in the the 90s?

My first consoles were GameBoy and PS1.

Meanwhile in Turkey (where we go for Summer Holidays) my Dad bought me what was locally called an "Atari" (synonym for videogames in general) but was in fact a hacked NES. The cartridge itself was one of those 1000 on 1 game carts. But many of the "games" were duplicates and just different save states of about 10, 20 or so base games. Me and my cousins used to play the hell out of it, especially Mario.

Even had Duck Hunt on there and a Zapper.

In fact I just remembered this was around the time I really wanted an N64 and SM64. The box art of this fake NES had SM64 art on it, specifically the art of Mario with the Wing Cap on flying. So I was actually asking for an N64.

Proud to have experienced NES during my childhood, considering my first proper home console generation was PS1.

Oct 27, 2017

As an "old man gamer," I can confirm that Super Mario All Stars was indeed a retail release in the states. Hell, I rented it from blockbuster video the day it came out.

In fact, SMAS was Nintendo's big 1993 holiday release...which IIRC is why Sega ate their fucking lunch that year with Aladdin, a blood filled Mortal Kombat 1, and 3 new Sonic games. Not talking shit, mind you. Just stating facts. SMAS was a million plus seller, but it wasn't an instant success. A lot of my friends were disappointed that it was old Mario games (not counting Lost Levels)

That's where the promo above came in. To help boost sales, (and maybe to compete with Segas infamous "Buy Sonic 1, get Sonic 2 free" offer), Ninty had it where if you bought a SNES that holiday season, you could mail away for a free SMAS copy (which they just sent the cart and manual, no box)

A year later, along with a DKC bundle, Nintendo made that 5-in-1, with slightly revised SMW included. That's why that cart is somewhat uncommon (not rare). Heck, until this thread, I didn't know it had a stand-alone Euro release.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I went from the NES ones to the SNES ones.

All stars SMB1 brick bug was very annoying
All stars SMB3 aesthetically was not very good in places - such as the underground bits where reflective minerals in darkness were replaced by a boring underground bg, or the dark world levels no longer being well...dark, losing the end-level stlyled background elements.

All stars version SMB2 USA I remember liking. Lost Levels I had no frame of reference for

Jun 17, 2018
My first Mario game was the Gameboy version of the original which was great. Then I had borrowed a friends SNES and played Mario All Stars and that's the definitive game for me personally.

Nov 8, 2017
I got All Stars in a bundle with my SNES for Christmas in 1993. I had the version that doesn't include SMW, but we also got that game separately, along with Super Mario Kart. That was one hell of a Christmas for 11 year old me, especially since we had no idea we'd be getting a SNES (my parents had consistently told us we couldn't have one because we already had a Mega Drive).

I had no idea that the games were remakes until some years later. I wasn't even aware of the NES itself, since I didn't know anyone who owned one. Pretty much anyone who played games on 8-bit at my school did so on a Commodore 64.

I played the hell out of all of them. I don't think I've ever got more frustrated at any game than I did at Lost Levels. I did complete it though in the end!

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
We grew with the NES version and also super mario land on GB. Any kid would want a Super Famicom after that but our parents thought it was too expensive, so we continued playing nes games till 1995. When N64 came I had already switched to pc.

Oct 26, 2017
Me. Nobody really had a NES round here, it was the Master System or one of the Micro Computers. The SNES was the first Nintendo seemed to gain any traction and a lot of that was down to SF2.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I owned neither, since I was a SEGA kid, but I played both variations at family and friends' houses. With that said, I don't think I knew at the time that the SNES game was a remake collection; it was just more Mario to me.

Buenoblue

Banned
May 5, 2018
Spare a though for us master system kids. My parents bought a master system and I was playing Alex kid in miracle world instead.☹️. I'm in UK and was a Sega kid, never owned a Nintendo console until Wii so alot of the nostalgia isn't there for me. I have played some of smb and it's a great game I just don't have the love and memories for it like I do Sonic.

Sep 7, 2018
I only played Super Mario Bros. 1 on the NES. I played the other two on All-Stars. I also didn't know there was a catridge that had All-Stars and Super Mario World on it.

Buenoblue

Banned
May 5, 2018
I wasn't even aware of the NES itself, since I didn't know anyone who owned one.

This. I didn't even see a nes growing up! And I only knew one girl who had an SNES. Everyone I knew had Sega or c64/Amiga. I'm 43 for reference. It seems so strange every time I see the love and nostalgia on the U.S. sites over Nintendo.

jothne

Jun 20, 2019
Japan
I played SMB3 on my uncle's NES a bit before I had any video games of my own, but the first game system at my house was an SNES with SMW and, $3.50 and a couple months later, All-Stars. I remember mailing in this coupon.

OP
OP
daTRUballin

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Why no option for GBC/GBA OP? Not all of us are old fogeys here you know.

I had totally forgotten about any handheld versions and was only focused on NES vs. SNES. I did actually own (and still do own) a SMB Deluxe GBC cart that I played on my GBA. So I guess I kinda "grew up" with that version as well, but not really to the same extent. That was already years and years after I had played the SNES versions and those were already cemented as THE versions of Mario for me by that point.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I grew up with the GBC/GBA versions and vastly preferred those.

I played a little of All-Stars at someone else's house, but never owned it myself.