• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I know I am far from alone in this... but I wanted to have a fellow conversation with folks who struggle the same.

Whether it's writing, drawing, composing, programming, and so on, I'm sure there are others like myself who have started dozens and dozens of projects only to move onto the next one and never get any done.

I can't count how many stories I start writing, get so hyped about it, and then get another idea for another story and then move onto there. I always tell myself, "No, this is the one!" and it never is.

I've wanted to improve my drawing skills but I've only finished very very few drawings, never enough to actually improve.

And I've been working on the same game since before I graduated College and whenever I get motivated to do more work on it I always end up falling off.

Sometimes I worry that all I really am is the "Idea Guy" which doesn't really have a role in places.

For those that have the same problem, how do you try to remedy it if at all?

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Same. I am so passionate about this stuff, but starting feels like such an immense task and I'm tired and I just want to veg out. :(

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
That's why I try to work on defined groups of projects instead of just 1. Currently I am writing 4 novels. When writing the first gets hard, I move onto the next, next, next, then back to the first when inspiration returns. All 4 should be done at about the same time within 3-4 years.

P.S. I also have another 8 stories that I occasionally take prep/worldbuilding notes on.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
You don't finish what you start because once you've created something it is no longer the perfect nothing in your head. You have to force yourself to follow through. Even setting aside a few minutes a day will do it, because for better or worse habit is the strongest motivator.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
Pretty much every indie game developer has this problem. I finished 2 big games on my own but I still have it with my new projects.
I think it all reduces to dopamine, you start a project because an idea gets you excited (also if you are making a game those first days of development get a lot done fast) but suddenly the rush is over and you are stuck working in a project that may not seem as great as before, it basically becomes a job. Worse if you have insecurities.

I think finishing a project is a skill that needs to be trained constantly, probably by reducing the scope of your projects, making daily lists and turning writing/painting/development in part of your routine so you can get things done without depending of "motivation".

Oct 25, 2017
Always chunk things down into the smallest possible amount. You'll never finish a 400 hour project, but 15 minutes a day is doable, bit-by-bit. Also, just give yourself some space to accept that you aren't going to finish and then set your goals accordingly. What's the smallest thing you can be happy with.

For programming specifically, keep a big library of reusable code. When you make something for one project make sure you take the time to make it agnostic. You'll always come back to the same snippets and having them ready to use can take a lot of grid time away to keep it interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel you OP but I've found that the more I make a big thing out of finishing a project the less likely I am to do it.

Im starting to internalize the idea of taking as long as I want to finish something and working on it whenever I want. You didnt work that thing a year ago, last month, today? Who cares, if you feel like doing it now go ahead and do it. If not, do whatever else you want to do and come back when youre ready. The only time limit and restrictions is the one you set for yourself

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
I'm in the same boat. If you want OP, we could try to make a group that builds structure and accountability for one another to help make.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I used to be super creative and spent a lot of time doing creative things.. being an adult with a hard job drains the creativity. It's so hard to find find the energy to do this stuff.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any time I've tried to write I guilt and shame myself for so long that by the time I'm done I feel too exhausted to even bother.

I just gave up altogether.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I set specific times and power through it. If it turns out bad, I can always adjust it later. My problem is more getting sufficient criticism to be able to go back and fix stuff.

ranjaboy

Oct 27, 2017
I know that feeling OP. You got to keep trying though. You may not see the incremental improvement, but trust me they're there.

I do sympathize with the whole work draining creativity thing.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I actually used to have this problem.

...I don't know that I necessarily recommend my solution however...I forced myself into a schedule and treated working on it as though it were a job - i.e. there are deadlines and I am required to meet them. I wouldn't allow myself to slack off or miss any self-imposed goals even if it meant staying up late to finish them because I knew if I let myself miss even one then it would alert my brain to the fact that there were no consequences for slacking off and it would be easier to justify missing it the second time.

Doing this it became habit. And once it became habit it started to get hard to stop. I don't like to sit with nothing for my hands to do now. I must always be working. I think it's killed my ability to just relax, but it does mean I've finished two fairly long projects, I have two others that are currently running and have updated just as steadily, and I'm able to even do some additional small projects on the side.
...I'm pretty pleased it worked out that way for myself, but I'm not sure that'd be for everybody...

JAlpsWanderer

Oct 27, 2017
Mmm, those top reviews are not stellar.

Different books work for different people, sure.
At the end of the day, regardless of what you read, you gotta put in the work. This book or any other is not going to sugar coat that fact.
What I would say this book does well is define the "problem" that people face in pursuing creative goals and give you a butt load of ways to tackle it."
But if you've got better ways to overcome your own personal demons, power to you friend.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a hard time. I have a huge talent for drawing as well--it comes to me very naturally and quickly. I made years of progress in a few months during a college course.

However, I have a hard time starting it and being consistent. I actually drew yesterday though. I need to do it almost every day for an hour or two.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I've probably started, for some reason deleted, and then started again a homebrew setting for D&D. I'm legit not joking, I've probably written a historical document of the precursor peoples at least five times now. My issue is, I start off with an insane amount of willpower. For example, I'll spend like five hours on a weekend just writing and listening to music. I'm willing to bet any progress made after that initial day is slow as a snail. Within a week, I usually stop entirely.Then I figure I'll start fresh and do it for real this time. So, I delete everything and the process starts again.

I think I fall into what happened to Duke Nukem Forever. I hear something that sounds cool or discover a new thing someone posted online, and I desperately want to put it in. Even if the setting doesn't need it. That new thing I heard about is shoe-horned in and it stands out. So, I start from scratch again to try and make it fit. Maybe some day I'll stick with it.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I am basically the entire art department at my shop. I don't struggle there, but I have such a hard time doing anything creative outside of work. I have all of these ideas that I never follow up on. It's easier to come home and watch TV than it is to try something that I might fail at.

Oct 25, 2017
Different books work for different people, sure.
At the end of the day, regardless of what you read, you gotta put in the work. This book or any other is not going to sugar coat that fact.
What I would say this book does well is define the "problem" that people face in pursuing creative goals and give you a butt load of ways to tackle it."
But if you've got better ways to overcome your own personal demons, power to you friend.
Yes its really about what you personally have issues with, because if there were no issues then you'd write a book every week, produce a TV show, etc. For example I know I stressed myself out trying to "force" myself to do things, so I now find being lax a lot less draining
I've probably started, for some reason deleted, and then started again a homebrew setting for D&D. I'm legit not joking, I've probably written a historical document of the precursor peoples at least five times now. My issue is, I start off with an insane amount of willpower. For example, I'll spend like five hours on a weekend just writing and listening to music. I'm willing to bet any progress made after that initial day is slow as a snail. Within a week, I usually stop entirely.Then I figure I'll start fresh and do it for real this time. So, I delete everything and the process starts again.

I think I fall into what happened to Duke Nukem Forever. I hear something that sounds cool or discover a new thing someone posted online, and I desperately want to put it in. Even if the setting doesn't need it. That new thing I heard about is shoe-horned in and it stands out. So, I start from scratch again to try and make it fit. Maybe some day I'll stick with it.
Try not to delete most things you make, old stuff can be useful

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Every single novel I've begun. Part of the reason I started a previous winning NaNoWriMo story from the beginning was to make it something I would be more satisfied with, and after winning with that version last year, it remains incomplete while I determine what direction to take it beyond that winning word count and can be bothered to just sit down and write (certainly have a lot of time again now).

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Every single novel I've begun. Part of the reason I started a previous winning NaNoWriMo story from the beginning was to make it something I would be more satisfied with, and after winning with that version last year, it remains incomplete while I determine what direction to take it beyond that winning word count and can be bothered to just sit down and write (certainly have a lot of time again now).

I actually finally completed my first NaNoWriMo last year. I was on a roll! And then I took that story and rebooted it cause I ultimately wasn't satisfied with where it was going.

How far did I get into the reboot (which itself is like the fith(?) reboot)?

A page.

Edit: You know what's bad? I actually completed my NaNoWriMo in 2018 as well, another story never completed though never rebooted.

Last edited:

JAlpsWanderer

Oct 27, 2017
Just skimmed through an online pdf of that book, and it seemed pretty terrible. Mostly the same old self-help inanity that you'd expect.

Again, fine.
Don't know what the "same-old self help inanity" means. But I will say that if you don't need advice or ideas or perspectives to keep you motivated, that's great.
Self-motivation is simple.
"Oh, you mean I just have to do this?"
But when you try to get down to it, the roadblocks come out. It's all simple. Simple isn't the same as easy.

The point is that we all need to find that thing that allows us to navigate these roadblocks. This book helped me conceptualize the problems that I faced.
Mileage varies, sure, but I would argue that the core problems do not.

For anyone who has trouble stepping up to the plate and feels that they can't finish anything, I have the deepest empathy. Creativity is a reflection of our soul, and it can take immense courage to look inside ourselves in an attempt to find out what it is we want to say.

Jan 11, 2018
I have an album that I've been working on for six and a half years. Its my first one, and I'm FINALLY in the process of finishing it up. I have a second album thats like 75% complete that I've been working on for maybe 8 years as well. So yeah, I know the feeling.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
I feel you OP. I am literally a professional writer (news/explainers) and I KNOW I have a novel in me. I have an amazing plot that I have all fleshed out, but when I sit down to put pen to paper, I get through maybe one chapter, read what I've written and walk away because I'm horribly embarrassed by it. I've been trying to write this novel for at least eight years, and every year that passes I worry that someone is going to do the same concept. I've already had two potential titles taken by other things that beat me to it.

At this point, every time I sit down to start and inevitably trickle off, I grow more afraid that despite, again, being a professional who is paid to write, I just have no skill or chops for writing prose fiction, despite being a voracious reader of the same. I've read so many "your first chapter is utterly crucial, your first sentence matters more than anything, think of what an agent would think when she opens your pitch" advice that I'm too paralyzed with indecision and nitpicking to just roll with what I've got and make it better later.

The sad thing is, I don't even really want to do this out of some super noble artistic goal of Having Something To Say, I just think it's a helluva story that would make for an amazing action movie or TV series (and make a lot of money), but since I don't have the means or connections to make that happen, I feel like I need to write it as a novel.

I used to be an insomniac who couldn't sleep at night, but for like the last five years, when I go to bed I start thinking about the first chapter and how it will play out, and I'm asleep within ten minutes.

Last edited:

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
could be adhd or it could be just a general lack of focus/discipline. OP of you have a therapist or a doctor i would mention this to them you never know.

Jul 26, 2018
I've used to make tons of high quality Youtube videos back in January-April. Now I stopped because honestly i'm just too lazy.... plus especially what's going on with DMC system and Youtube literally giving many Youtubers strikes rn. Depends on content, but it can be for gaming too. I've also received several copyrights too yet it doesn't affect me because my channel is tiny.

I've just made gaming walkthorughs but in 4K, ultrawide, ultra settings, and enhanced with ReShade. Basically making "movies" of the entire games with no HUD. Only one of my videos blew up and most are getting views very slowly and meanwhile some never had any views at all.... I've used to upload daily too.

No offense to other bigger gaming walkthrough Youtubers but I hate it when their videos get blown up yet their walkthrough/game play is lower quality tier than mine (only 1080p, 16:9, etc). No 4K? It's 2020! Yea.. jealousy can come with it too. So I've just stopped. I can continue anytime, but I rather be streaming at this point. Making a gaming channel base on campaign walkthoughs is just tough to go big or at least get views on. And again, the current state of Youtube doesn't make it any better.

Borgus

Apr 14, 2020
Toronto
I had a good streak with writing music initially and now I'm finding it hard to focus on keeping that momentum going. I think I've been mostly just lethargic cause of the amount of pot I've been smoking; probably going to cut back.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I can't even get myself to work on mario maker levels let alone start composing music. Ugh.

And I don't even remember how to play guitar, the melodies I come up would be way too complicated for me to play.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I used to have a lot of trouble making it past the first 30 pages of scripts because I'd inevitably read over what I'd already written and hate it. A combination of 4 (or I guess 5) things pushed me over that hump:

1. I now avoid looking at written up pages at all costs. Otherwise I'll spend a dumb amount of time finicking with them, and that's pointless since most of them won't make it to the next draft...

2. Realised there was more to writing than just that first draft, and that everything in it was (relatively) garbage. Even bits I thought were inspired / good were a lot better once I smushed them together with the clarity of a later revision.

3. Adopted a writing quota. If I don't do a minimum of 2 pages, then I can't go to sleep. This was inspired by Akira Kurosawa, who mentions writing a page no matter what in his excellent autobiography, reasoning that there's really no excuse not to vomit out at least 1 page a day (which would often turn into more in the doing / result in a minimum of 365 pages a year, or roughly 3 completed scripts).

I do 2 instead of 1 because duh... It'll totally make me twice as good as Kurosawa.

4. Outlining. I think writing without a plan is stupid. You can do it, but it'll probably be worse, slower and more stressful than if you'd bothered to outline. You can try and reason yourself out of this really easily ("It'll be more fun if I don't lol") but most of those are bad excuses that fall apart (finishing creative projects isn't fun - it's satisfying; consuming them is fun and the feeling people mistakenly chase by making stuff up as they do it).

5 (I guess). Desperation. I got really sick of myself after spending years only coming up with opening scenes. It was sad and depressing, so I just pushed until the terrible end of a thing with all my effort, and was really happy when I finished.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I'm the same. I always have ideas for what I'd like to write, start, then get stuck or distracted or hyper critical or move on to a new idea. I also find it difficult to figure out how to start a story in a way that would grab readers, so sometimes I don't even make it past that hurdle. I've considered taking a writing class but for whatever reason I haven't. And it sucks because as a kid I used to draw and write whatever the fuck without worrying whether it was good or anything, but I lost that ability somewhere along the way.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Ufff... I must have like 20 projects I started and haven't finished... I know the struggle and I hope one day I can finish at least one and bring something to the world.

Oct 25, 2017
You don't finish what you start because once you've created something it is no longer the perfect nothing in your head. You have to force yourself to follow through. Even setting aside a few minutes a day will do it, because for better or worse habit is the strongest motivator.

Absolutely this. I've been falling in and out of motivation for my current book for a while, but what's been getting things done is setting some time aside at night and writing. Sometimes I finish a whole chapter, sometimes it's only a few paragraphs. It's not even every night. But when I think about "I want to finish this thing" it always ends in "I've got to put the work into it even if I'm not feeling it 100%"

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I'm pretty bad at doing anything routinely without external motivation.

Oct 25, 2017
I have this issue too. Have tons of half finished projects. Would love a dedicated discord group to show off progress and motivate each other to finish

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do have adhd so it probably does play a factor haha.

ah yep I'm in the same boat too, but i was able to sort of overcome it mainly cause my probably was I wouldn't even start project thinking i would either never finish it and even if i did it wouldn't be up to my own standard. To overcome it I had to tell myself that no matter what it was ok to start something and then come back to it later, that i didn't need to shorthand myself by thinking I'll never finish it anyways. Sometimes you really cant do everything in one go.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I had a short story purchased and adapted to a short film (it was horror). A few of the people from the company that purchased it asked me to write a longer short story involving some of the same themes, as they said they liked my writing and it seemed to lend itself well to adaption. The director told me she really liked the story as well and it was the only one of dozens she had been pitched by said company that appealed to her at all.

So far I have only managed to write five pages of a planned 60-80 page story. I started a year ago. Every time I sit down and try to get the creative juices going I either blank, or get a few pages in and think that what I am writing is complete garbage and start over. It's easy when writing for pleasure, for me, but difficult when you know people are waiting on you ready to judge your work.

Oct 25, 2017
I have started to keep something of a journal relating to my personal programming projects and it seems to be helping me both keep track of what I've done on a much higher level, and helping me jot down potential problem spots, things I need to do more research on, whatever. More than anything, it helps me see when I'm making large blocks of progress, or just a little bit, or none at all. Early on it's usually pretty easy to keep excited and keep writing, and progress comes quickly, but of course like anything the deeper and deeper you go the harder things get and the more complicated problems arise, or real life invades, or what-have-you, and you start to see your journals evolve at a slower pace. But it's a constant and good reminder of what needs to be done, and when you aren't making progress the feeling of "I didn't write anything today" gnaws at you in a positive way.

I'd consider trying that out for any project.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
ah yep I'm in the same boat too, but i was able to sort of overcome it mainly cause my probably was I wouldn't even start project thinking i would either never finish it and even if i did it wouldn't be up to my own standard. To overcome it I had to tell myself that no matter what it was ok to start something and then come back to it later, that i didn't need to shorthand myself by thinking I'll never finish it anyways. Sometimes you really cant do everything in one go.

Yeah, that makes sense. I do try to keep my stories around in case I go back though sadly some have been lost when changing computers/USBs going bad and so on. So I can always go back. (Use google docs more often now so losing stuff isn't as much of a problem)

I did want to address this post actually because it's so true.

Specifically when I draw or write a story, I have this clear perfect idea of what I want to do. At least when it comes to writing I always have this clear movie-like imagination of what I'm writing down, but it never comes across as properly conveying that because when it comes to actually putting pen to paper (well typing haha), it just never comes out right. So yeah, it does get a bit annoying.

Zoso

Oct 27, 2017
The first 10% and last 10% of any creative project are by far the most exciting parts. It's that middle 80% that will completely ruin you.

Persistence is key. Show up every day and do the work. Stop waiting for inspiration, there will be no epiphanies. Hone your ability to tolerate the extreme discomfort of knowing what you're creating is shit. Keep working until it doesn't suck as much. Trust the process. Try not to compare yourself to others, you're in this for the long haul. And when you inevitably do compare yourself to others, realize that even highly successful people are often not 100% satisfied with their work. You are not alone. This may all sound like self help garbage but I have generally found it to be true. Persistence is far more important than natural talent. Keep working, but also be kind to yourself because it ain't easy.

JAlpsWanderer

Oct 27, 2017
I used to have a lot of trouble making it past the first 30 pages of scripts because I'd inevitably read over what I'd already written and hate it. A combination of 4 (or I guess 5) things pushed me over that hump:

1. I now avoid looking at written up pages at all costs. Otherwise I'll spend a dumb amount of time finicking with them, and that's pointless since most of them won't make it to the next draft...

2. Realised there was more to writing than just that first draft, and that everything in it was (relatively) garbage. Even bits I thought were inspired / good were a lot better once I smushed them together with the clarity of a later revision.

A lot of really good stuff here.
With regards to writing - especially fiction - you really have to be able to forgive yourself for writing crap, because except when the muse is dancing in your head most of what comes out on the first pass is going to be substandard or kind of trite.

But that in itself is important, and I would argue desirable. Because once you actually get through whatever it is your trying to write, you need the courage to throw out everything that doesn't work. If you're always spending all your time polishing things on the first pass, you'll never finish anything for one, and if/when you actually do finish that first draft, you'll feel even more averse to making the hard decisions that need to be made.

I like to compare fiction writing to drawing or painting.
With few exceptions, you'd never put down ink or paint into a work of art without sketching it out first, right? If you got those sketch lines, it's a lot easier to erase things that look off. But if you start off by putting down the nice ink and color work without taking the time to see if the whole picture works, you're going to spend a lot time and anguish fixing things later.

tldr; have the courage to write shit, but keep pressing forward with the knowledge that you can go back and polish anything later.

3. Adopted a writing quota. If I don't do a minimum of 2 pages, then I can't go to sleep. This was inspired by Akira Kurosawa, who mentions writing a page no matter what in his excellent autobiography, reasoning that there's really no excuse not to vomit out at least 1 page a day (which would often turn into more in the doing / result in a minimum of 365 pages a year, or roughly 3 completed scripts).

I do 2 instead of 1 because duh... It'll totally make me twice as good as Kurosawa.

Interesting! Wish I had time to follow this. For me, at least, I tend to do thirty-minute power-writing (more if I have time). Knowing that I only have such limited time to devote to writing, I find that nothing is wasted.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
I've struggled my whole life with completing creative ideas and have been struggling to write this one script for the past 5 years so I feel you OP. I'm very much a creative person and a huge part of my identity is the ability to express myself through music, writing, drawing so I often become depressed I can't get something done creatively. My biggest fear is dying before I get to make something that I can share with the world. Thanks for creating this thread I've seen some good suggestions.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I will say one thing that also hampers my writing is being too excited for big cool story moments I want to have. That may raise eye brows but the idea being that I get to enamored with what I want to eventually get to, that I struggle to write all the stuff leading up to that.