• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
So uh...I live IN Ridgecrest at the moment, (moved from AZ for a job opportunity after college) and I'm pretty fucking freaked out right now. Anyone used to earthquakes wanna fill me in on "foreshocks" and how much of the media right now is just speculation? Cuz' I'm pretty shook right now if these last two were just warm-ups.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My natural disaster bingo card is looking pretty good:

Major hurricane (Andrew)
Large tornado (EF4 in Jackson, Tennessee; February 2008)
Wildfires (Woolsey, 2018 and Springs, 2013)
Earthquakes... hopefully this is it and it doesn't get worse

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I too wish I was so cool to have been through major weather events and then make fun of others who havent to show my cool weather street cred

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
So uh...I live IN Ridgecrest at the moment, (moved from AZ for a job opportunity after college) and I'm pretty fucking freaked out right now. Anyone used to earthquakes wanna fill me in on "foreshocks" and how much of the media right now is just speculation? Cuz' I'm pretty shook right now if these last two were just warm-ups.

1 in 20 chance that the next one will be bigger. It may be tomorrow, it may be in 2 years ... 20 years ... who knows.

I'd trust the real experts than the media on this one, to be honest.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I was in the middle of homecoming when it hit. I couldn't focus on the film anymore after that. This really sucks.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
All anyone can tell you is that there's a 5% or so chance that a bigger quake will follow in the next few days, and a 95% chance that it won't.

Honestly if I lived in Ridgecrest area and had the ability to move away for a few days, I would.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow at those people running during an earthquake. That's the last thing you should be doing. I've read if the earthquake is strong enough you won't be able to move even if you try.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
All anyone can tell you is that there's a 5% or so chance that a bigger quake will follow in teh next few days, and a 95% chance that it won't.

Honestly if I lived in Ridgecrest area and had the ability to move away for a few days, I would.
I thought this WAS the 5%, since the one yesterday was smaller. I guess there's always a 5% chance the next one is larger?

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Everything is speculation. News channels need to fill time. The people talking about plates moving are stating 100% fact, but no one knows what that ultimately means for a big quake. A big quake could hit California in 2 days or 100 years, and no on will 100% know until it actually happens.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The foreshock thing is just that there's a 1/20 chance there's a bigger quake in the next day or two, rather than a smaller one, in which case the current M7 quake would be retroactively labeled as a foreshock, rather than the main shock, as by definition the main shock is the biggest quake, and the others are all smaller.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017

The number being used at the press conference the other day was a 5% chance a bigger one will come. That happened tonight so I would assume it's a fairly small chance of seeing something even bigger. Smaller aftershocks are more likely.

Growing up in SoCal I remember being woken up in the middle of the night by quakes a number of times. It's unnerving not knowing if another one is coming. People would sleep in their cars all night just to get out of the house.

edit - embarrassingly late

Last edited:

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the CalTech press conference. I forgot what it's like to hear smart people answering smart questions from the media.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
1 in 20 chance that the next one will be bigger. It may be tomorrow, it may be in 2 years ... 20 years ... who knows.

I'd trust the real experts than the media on this one, to be honest.
All anyone can tell you is that there's a 5% or so chance that a bigger quake will follow in the next few days, and a 95% chance that it won't.

Everything is speculation. News channels need to fill time. The people talking about plates moving are stating 100% fact, but no one knows what that ultimately means for a big quake. A big quake could hit California in 2 days or 100 years, and no on will 100% know until it actually happens.

The number being used at the press conference the other day was a 5% chance a bigger one will come. That happened tonight so I would assume it's a fairly small chance of seeing something even bigger. Smaller aftershocks are more likely.

Growing up in SoCal I remember being woken up in the middle of the night by quakes a number of times. It's unnerving not knowing if another one is coming. People would sleep in their cars all night just to get out of the house.

Okay. Cool. Just trying to get a handle on all of this. Never had to worry about earthquakes before so it's weird to have them so close like this. (Especially since all of my neighbors that have lived here their whole lives say it's never been like this). Woke up three times yesterday to smaller quakes so I imagine I'm not going to get much sleep tonight.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Always best to have these smaller ones come up to lose pressure for you know...the real big one.

This is yet another tho along the NA west coast just this week there have been a few.

Nov 1, 2017
It's moments like this where I'm glad I live in the Midwest, where the most dramatic natural disaster is a tornado warning, which for 99.999% of people in the affected area is just a thunderstorm with some sirens going off

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
San Andreas fault maxes out at approximately 8.3, so at least it won't be as bad as when the doom of Seattle comes

Yeah, people assume the San Andreas quake would be The Big One.

That one will suck, don't get me wrong, but IIRC it'll be nothing compared to Cascadia. We're talking about 2 weeks of spotty infrastructure at the very worst vs months.

And we'll definitely feel it in California but the Pacific Northwest is the one that's really in danger. I hope people in those areas are at least taking precautions as well.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Uhhhh, Dr. Jones just said this earthquake was closer to the San Andreas fault line than the last one? So it is getting closer to that and LA? That does NOT make me feel good, right now.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
It was very long but soft here and I was in a restaurant at the time. I've lived through earthquakes all my life, but I've never been in such a public place during one. It was interesting to see all the different reactions.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And we'll definitely feel it in California but the Pacific Northwest is the one that's really in danger. I hope people in those areas are at least taking precautions as well.

When Nisqually hit I was in college. Just about everybody dove under their table/desks instead of running outside/freaking out, so at least some earthquake training's been lodged into our skulls.

After it hits, uh...that's a different story.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Man, there's a small shaking every ten minutes or so. Fuck this place lol. Take me back to AZ where all we have is dust devils.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the South Bay and felt none of the quakes so far. How in the world do people in OC feel these?

I think I remember reading after one of these quakes a while ago that there's a massive granite slab somewhere in the LA Metro Area that basically blocks the shockwave from hitting certain locations depending on where the quake originated on the other side of it. Acting like a barrier island or something.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I was in a 9.2 in November, 7 is big, but doesn't need a press conference
You could say he was...
giphy.gif

Shook.
Yeeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhh

FUCKING DEAD!!!!

OT: stay safe CaliERA/peeps of California.