• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So, um.....two high 6-pointers back-to-back.

Does this mean anything?

The only meaning worth worrying about is these could be forshock before something bigger - but they also could just be standalone shocks. There is no way to know. Even experts on the matter would not know. Foreshocks will be mentioned in a lot of articles and news stories for the next few days but it is all speculation, and guesswork based on past events

Nov 16, 2017
I'm new to earthquakes, but is the expectation that all buildings are built to withstand any reasonable earthquake? Like the main danger is stuff falling on top of you right and not the entire building collapsing?

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For the new page, 'cause it feels kinda relevant:

What to do in an earthquake:

• If you are INDOORS -- STAY THERE! Get under a desk or table and hang on to it (Drop, Cover, and Hold on!) or move into a hallway or against an inside wall. STAY CLEAR of windows, fireplaces, and heavy furniture or appliances. GET OUT of the kitchen, which is a dangerous place (things can fall on you). DON'T run downstairs or rush outside while the building is shaking or while there is danger of falling and hurting yourself or being hit by falling glass or debris.
  • If you are OUTSIDE -- get into the OPEN, away from buildings, power lines, chimneys, and anything else that might fall on you.
  • If you are DRIVING -- stop, but carefully. Move your car as far out of traffic as possible. DO NOT stop on or under a bridge or overpass or under trees, light posts, power lines, or signs. STAY INSIDE your car until the shaking stops. When you RESUME driving, watch for breaks in the pavement, fallen rocks, and bumps in the road at bridge approaches.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Whats up with merging the threads? We have a threads everytime someone farts out a thought about a Marvel movie but 2 threads for 2 quakes is too much?
Just need jimquisition or angry joe to do a video about the second quake. Then for some reason they will get their own thread separate from the main thread.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading that the quake was revised again higher to 7.1
So far they've had ~13 aftershocks up there higher than 3.0 some as high as 5.5
They're gettin shook real bad

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Live in Vegas, didn't feel anything. Didn't even know anything happened until my mom texted me asking if I felt the quake.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
For the new page, 'cause it feels kinda relevant:

What to do in an earthquake:

• If you are INDOORS -- STAY THERE! Get under a desk or table and hang on to it (Drop, Cover, and Hold on!) or move into a hallway or against an inside wall. STAY CLEAR of windows, fireplaces, and heavy furniture or appliances. GET OUT of the kitchen, which is a dangerous place (things can fall on you). DON'T run downstairs or rush outside while the building is shaking or while there is danger of falling and hurting yourself or being hit by falling glass or debris.
  • If you are OUTSIDE -- get into the OPEN, away from buildings, power lines, chimneys, and anything else that might fall on you.
  • If you are DRIVING -- stop, but carefully. Move your car as far out of traffic as possible. DO NOT stop on or under a bridge or overpass or under trees, light posts, power lines, or signs. STAY INSIDE your car until the shaking stops. When you RESUME driving, watch for breaks in the pavement, fallen rocks, and bumps in the road at bridge approaches.
Hey good looking out!

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
All these recent earthquakes are making me paranoid about the big one that's overdue over here in Utah.

Please stay safe everyone!

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
I've lived in North hollywood for 2 years now. Heard about them and listened to the big one podcast about it all. Until this weekend never actually felt one. Kinda crazy I have family in town on the one weekend we get two big ones. The first one was kinda funny to me and exciting. This second one just now was while we were at a restraunt and people actually got up to run outside. Got pretty freaked out not gonna lie.

Last edited:

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If that's only 6.9, I don't want to know what a 9 feels like.

Each step on the scale is a 10 fold increase in energy on number before it. 7.0 would be tenfold greater than a 6.9, and 7.1 would be tenfold greater than a 7.0... so 6.9 would be almost incomparable to a 9.0. It is like comparing a piece of lego to a skyscraper

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So there's basically no way to tell if the 7.1 is the biggest one that will happen

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So tonight's quake was the same strength as the 1989 Loma Prieta quake that messed up norcal. The epicenter of that quake was about 65 miles from downtown San Francisco.

Tonight's 6.9 was centered about 150 miles from downtown Los Angeles. So a bit over twice the distance. It was spooky when it happened but it was the fear of it getting worse more than the actual shaking.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
7.1 caltech is saying.

Holy, that's a big one.

If this is a foreshock to a bigger one, uhhh....

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Another tremble (aftershock?) just now. Ugh...

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These aftershocks are crazy. Idk if anyone else is feeling them but they continue to rock our building.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
q5BOGnV.png

giphy.gif

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
I felt that here in Summerlin. A lot of my friends at work felt that on the south side of the strip as well.