• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you expect 2020 to be the best year of the gen?

• Yes

Votes: 252 44.8%
  • No

Votes: 311 55.2%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
The poll is split evenly.
tenor.gif

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
I'm really sorry, but 2017 is untoppable as far as gaming years. It was the best year in the medium's history, by a huge margin. I mean, who knows what the future holds, but to me it's very difficult to dethrone that year.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of games releasing in 2020 that I'm interested in, as well as much bigger things happening too like next-gen consoles.

I have a feeling 2020 is going to be a pretty amazing year.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure, I find it hard to beat 2017 for me. I'm not even interested in half of that list in the OP.

It will probably be the best send off year for a gen though. Definitely should be better than 2013 was.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks a little empty so far, but am interested in seeing what Elden Ring looks like, as well as play Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2 and Cyberpunk. Other than that it looks a little meh. Indies will deliever as always though and maybe Nintndo will bring the goods?

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
looking forward to Tales of Arise and FFVII:R, but yea, way too many must have games next year

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Just curious, what makes 2019 legendary for you? Is it mostly Switch stuff? Because as a PlayStation and Xbox owner, I think it has been subpar.

What was/is so special about Switch this year ?

PS4 and Xbox have RE2R, Sekiro, DMC5, Death Stranding, Gears 5, Days Gone, Borderlands 3, Judgment, Star Wars.

Much better imo.

Oct 26, 2017
What was/is so special about Switch this year ?

PS4 and Xbox have RE2R, Sekiro, DMC5, Death Stranding, Gears 5, Days Gone, Borderlands 3, Judgment, Star Wars.

Much better imo.
Super Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Astral Chain, Luigi's Mansion 3, Dragon Quest XIS, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, off of the top of my head. Plenty of good stuff coming out or out already. I'd take most these games over the ones you've listed, personally

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Super Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Astral Chain, Luigi's Mansion 3, Dragon Quest XIS, and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, off of the top of my head. Plenty of good stuff coming out or out already. I'd take these games over the ones you've listed, personally

Some well scored titles but PS4/Xbox are looking by far not subpar compared to that.

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, what makes 2019 legendary for you? Is it mostly Switch stuff? Because as a PlayStation and Xbox owner, I think it has been subpar.

I wouldn't say legendary, but a year that has Resi 2, Sekiro, DMC 5, Astral Chain, Outer Wilds, Telling Lies, Control, Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem, Apex Legends, Ace Combat 7, Metro Exodus, Observer, Katana Zero and others is far from bad. Also, the year is far from over. Big hitters like Gears 5, Borderlands 3, Modern Warfare, DOOM Eternal, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, The Outer Worlds and Death Stranding have yet to come out, as well as promising AA fare like Greedfall, Shenmue III and The Surge 2.

I think for me it might top 2018 when all is said and done, especially if some of the yet to be released games deliver on their promise.

2020 looks insane though, hard to argue with that.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best AAA year this gen, sure. But I doubt it will top 2017 for me - which had 4+ indie/AA masterpieces that barely been touched by AAA games this gen.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
If the games already announced for 2020 live up to expectations, and if a few other games like Elden Ring, Zelda and Bayo 3 make it out, then I can see it.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah next year is looking pretty awesome. Dying Light 2 is probably my most anticipated game atm. FF7R also is looking much better than I thought it would.

I don't know if next year will contain the gotg but I think it will be the best in terms of the quantity of awesome games. Plus next gen games that we haven't heard of yet.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Of all those heavy hitters next year, Ghostwire: Tokyo is what I'm most anticipating. This is a new IP from a developer I keep my eye on.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
It's the reason I'm fully confident I'll hold off on next gen until the plus refresh. There are 4-5 games in the OP list alone that I will definitely play, and I play through ~2-3 games a year (non-portable)

Oct 26, 2017
I'm ready for the gen to end and the list in the OP depresses me, personally. I don't need the nth Halo or Naughty Dog game so a hard no vote for me.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
The Last of Us Part 2 will already put it in contention for that. Then you throw in Cyberpunk, Ghost of Tsushima, FF7 Remake, Persona 5 Royal, and others and you really see how it likely will be.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a pretty good year so far.

Resident Evil 2 Remake
DMC 5
Sekiro
Super Mario Maker 2
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Astral Chain

Year isn't over yet either. Ton of games left to come out.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
This gen is going out with a bang. The award for best year of this gen is basically 2020's to lose at this point. As long none of the expected heavy hitters shit out an Anthem type failure it's going to be hard to argue with all of this hits. (presumably)

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
2014 was imo horrible...

I believe Alien Isolation was the only game what I really liked.
The Last of Us Part 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Animal Crossing
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2
Town
Detective Pikachu 2
Wasteland 3
Psychonauts 2
Halo Infinite
Gears Tactics
Bleeding Edge
Minecraft Dungeons
Resident Evil Project Resistance
Age of Empires IV
Sakura Wars
Humankind
Yakuza 7
Deathloop
Skull and Bones
The Settlers
Gods and Monsters
Watch Dogs: Legion
Roller Champions
Rainbow Six Quarantine
Assassins Creed Kingdom
Biomutant
Destroy all Humans
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Trials of Mana
New Call of Duty
Serious Sam 4
Chernobylite
Babylon's Fall
The Last Campfire
In the Valley of Gods
Desperados III
UFO 50
Spelunky 2
Afterparty
Tales of Arise
Kerbal Space Program 2
Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
Peaky Blinders game
Lone Echo II
Cyberpunk 2077
Evil Genius 2
Witchfire
Werewolf: The Apocalypse
Dying Light 2
Outriders
Guilty Gear
Granblue Fantasy Versyus
Sometimes Always Monsters
System Shock Remake
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2
Disintegration
Predator: Hunting Grounds
Haven
Little Nightmares II
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
The Good Life
Oddworld Soulstorm
N1RV Ann-A Cyberpunk Bartender Action
INDUSTRIES OF TITAN
Phantom Brigade
The Eternal Cylinder
Darksiders Genesis
Remothered: Broken Porcelain
Orcs Must Die! 3
Twin Mirror
Sommerville
Lost Soul Aside
Baldur's Gate III
Divinity: Fallen Heroes
Nioh 2
Granblue Fantasy Relink
Elden Ring
Ys IX
Streets of Rage 4
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Firmament
Deltarune
Hades
Subnautica: Below Zero
Hollow Knight: Silksong [THE GOAT]
Darkest Dungeon 2
Solar Ash Kingdom
Shantae and the seven Sirens
Shovel Knight Dig

And that's just announced games so yeah I thing the potential is there.

Here's to a great 2020!!!!

I made this thread about 2014 being my favourite year.

Give it a look. I think you'll find 2014 was a criminally underrated year and look beyond what was competing for GOTY awards.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
2019s great if you own all the consoles. If you only have a ps4 it was good at the start then basically dead. If you had just a switch it started slow then just ramped up a lot. If you have everything (pc, ps4, switch, xbox one) you were probably swamped with games this year lol. 2017 has been my fav cuz I love JRPGs and nier, persona 5 (US release), botw, odyssey, and xenoblade 2 was just crazy for me. I hadn't spent that much time on videogames in years.

For 2020, it just depends on what comes out. FFVII Remake is my big game w/ Cyberpunk. Last of Us II I'm also picking up. Ghosts if it's coming out looks kinda slow gameplay wise / haven't seen enough of it and after Sekiro was out my interest for it just dropped even more. I don't care about watch dogs or most of these western AAA cranked out titles anymore because they feel stale now a days, but I still give it a fair shake and look at them when they release. I'm just not hype by em. If Bayo 3 and BotW 2 get added on that list and SMT V that would push it over since I like JPRG's a lot. PSO2 for the west on PC should be interesting too. Elden Ring I might try, but with FROM games its all about the setting for me. I'm not into a lot of medieval lore and stuff so if it plays / looks more like the regular souls games I'll prolly skip over it (I enjoyed Bloodborne and Sekiro a lot so I'll be keeping an eye on it).

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
nothing is topping 2018 for me but 2020 with cyberpunk, tlou 2 and possibly zelda could come close

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
From what I can tell 2020 will be a solid year for games with the potential to be even better once we know more about the next-gen consoles.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
If BoTW comes out in 2020, then yes
But then again I'm already calling it the best year on the sole basis of Animal Crossing

Gamer4life

Dec 6, 2017
I wouldn't say legendary, but a year that has Resi 2, Sekiro, DMC 5, Astral Chain, Outer Wilds, Telling Lies, Control, Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem, Apex Legends, Ace Combat 7, Metro Exodus, Observer, Katana Zero and others is far from bad. Also, the year is far from over. Big hitters like Gears 5, Borderlands 3, Modern Warfare, DOOM Eternal, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, The Outer Worlds and Death Stranding have yet to come out, as well as promising AA fare like Greedfall, Shenmue III and The Surge 2.

I think for me it might top 2018 when all is said and done, especially if some of the yet to be released games deliver on their promise.

2020 looks insane though, hard to argue with that.
Can also add Ghost Recon Breakpoint. Good thing my overtime now and then pays for new releases lol.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I'm not especially hyped for any game mentioned in the original post, so it was easy for me to vote no. Besides my doubt that the year will top 2017, I'm not sure if 2020 will top 2019, the latter of which I've really enjoyed.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I don't know about legendary but out of the last 3 years, 2019 has been the best to me. My game of the generation released(DMCV) and I really enjoyed Sekiro, KH3 and Resident evil 2. Although, the year has been pretty dry after that.

If 2020 delivers, it should be great as well.