• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I live in Canada, Hulu basically doesn't exist here.

I honestly didn't know that they positioned this as a family friendly only service, seems even more pointless knowing that.
How familiar are you with Disney and the the mouse? They have always been fiercely protective of the branding, while also being involved with adult stuff (touchstone, owned Miramar at one point) that gets nowhere within sniffing distance of Mickey. I just don't see how anyone with any familiarity (at least enough to care about the brand) regardless of country or services could ever think Disney would ever risk that. There is a reason there are so many Micky as legbreaker/soulless corporate overlord jokes and rep, protecting the brand is all.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Disney fucked up with separating their content between Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN. Compare it to HBO Max or Netflix, each caters to one or two crowds while Netflix means you get something for everyone. Disney+ is PG only, with the exception of major franchises. Great for kids and comic geeks, terrible for anything else

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
I bought the annual sub cause I already subscribed to ESPN+ and Hulu and it was super cheap to tack Disney+ on to those with the bundle.

But there's really nothing there at all in terms of original content. I watched The Mandalorian Season 1, and the only interesting thing coming up in the next entire year is you guessed it, The Mandalorian Season 2.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It cracked me up when it first launched and I clicked on Cool Runnings and it was like "Come back next year for the chance to stream Cool Runnings!" I guess I'll put it on my calendar. It'll give me something to look forward to.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they don't have the content. Their success has been on the back of their back catalog. Had a few friends already cancelled bc there's nothing on it.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's great if you have kids, but it still freezes on me on a pretty regular basis (while the audio continues), which none of the other streaming services do. Pretty shameful from a bajillion dollar company.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Big hit in my household. If you don't have young kids or love Disney movies yourself, it isn't an ideal first choice of services. Of course, a bunch of us have it locked up for under $4 a month for a long time, and not in any rush to get through everything at once.

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, I got it free for a year through Verizon, but haven't watched it since The Mandalorian ended. It has a lot of content, but most is kids oriented or stuff I've already seen like Marvel and Star Wars. Whereas Netflix and Prime have all the content I would ever need.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I am loving it

Infact started on my planned Star Wars marathon

Keeping it cause there's a lot to watch that I plan to rewatch or watch for the first time

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
The only thing Disney-related I can stomach these days is the classic animated films. Think Pinocchio, Lady and the Tramp, The Fox & The Hound, etc. I have no interest in anything modern or Marvel-related. I already own the classic films I wanted on blu-ray, so D+ is a complete non-factor for me. Not a single program I want to watch.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Doing nothing. I already had Hulu before and when you actually open up ESPN+ you realize how ridiculously vapid that app is (NO LAST DANCE! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!)

Because it's a Netflix coproduction. It will be up on US Netflix in July.

Side note- ESPN+ is fucking great for soccer. Soccer and UFC are the main draws for it at the moment. If you aren't interested in those or in subbing for a month to watch the 30 for 30 library, it isn't essential.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
I've used it for The Mandolorian and Onward. The service is free for me at the moment thanks to Verizon and I really enjoyed both but yeah it's really light on content. I'd be annoyed if I were paying for it.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
I trialed it and stopped after a week. There are only 2 camps that would be happy with this service and probably stay subbed. DIehard Disney fans and families with kids. Neither demographic is enough to make this service worth it for Disney.
Why wouldn't either demographic be worth it? If you consider the majority of the content is already developed for theaters or their TV channels, Disney+ is just an additional way to monetize on it, their development costs are basically zero. Disney+ is just free money unless it cannibalizes the original sources, and I really doubt it isn't net positive for them.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's fine for the price.

But they need to significantly increase their output before they can increase the price. Also have more diversity in content. A handful of Marvel and Star Wars shows ain't gonna cut it.

Oct 27, 2017
It lacks new original content and is very limited in the variety of programming it offers.

A good complement but not a true competitor to Netflix, Prime and the soon-to-be HBO Max.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i mean hypothetically it'd be worth twice as much based on the vault alone

ultimately canceled because i don't have kids but it's about what you can reasonably expect from brand new 'channel'

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I never renewed after the first month. Caught up with my old shows. I'll stick with Netflix/Prime/Philo. Netflix is basically free as it's included with our T-Mobile plan (small upcharge for 4 stream plan)

kowhite

May 14, 2019
If you're into the Disney library it's pretty awesome. New Stuff? Ehh not so much.

But it's lower cost.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Why wouldn't either demographic be worth it? If you consider the majority of the content is already developed for theaters or their TV channels, Disney+ is just an additional way to monetize on it, their development costs are basically zero. Disney+ is just free money unless it cannibalizes the original sources, and I really doubt it isn't net positive for them.

I mentioned those demographic because if they follow the route of Netflix, they will be investing many billions in the coming years, and I imagine Disney wants to appeal to everyone so this streaming platform wont be a massive burden on their balance sheet.

If Disney really wants to reel in someone like me, they need to start pumping out original content that isnt MCU, Star Wars, and rehash of old IPs. Blame it on Netflix, but Im accustomed to new content released all at once and on a monthly basis. Maybe Im wrong, and there are far more Disney fans out there. We'll see next quarter how much their sub counts jump.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I cancelled as soon as the Imagineering show finished. Once I got past the novelty of reliving my childhood (which didn't take long), there was nothing new there for an older crowd.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I mean I knew it'd be starved for content once Mandalorian S1 ended and people got over the initial rush of hype. If you have kids then Disney + is worth it, otherwise? Not really, for now. You can go through some Pixar movies and whatnot that you may have missed or wanted to rewatch, but the original content just isn't coming in yet until this Fall. I have no reason to sub to it until Mandalorian S2 + Falcon & Winter Soldier. It's going to be another couple years before the original series start to catch up to the point where it's really worthwhile, and even longer with the virus delaying production indefinitely on so many shows/films.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. Deleting it after watching the Clone Wars finale.

It was useful for Mando...then to rewatch clone wars for clone wars new season prep

I will get it again in fall before Mando S2 to rewatch Mando S1. Hopefully other stuff will be in the pipeline then

My 2nd sub money is going to Amazon. Netflix I'm never deleting...it's fantastic

They are lucky they did weekly drop tbh...as I would've dumped it long ago had mando/CW been all episodes in one go uploads

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
They blew it with the Star Wars Special Editions, Simpsons in forced 16:9 and episodes of television shows being sorted out of order. All the Zenon, Mandalorian and Phil of the Future in the world couldn't redeem that shit.

I'll re-open the application once Simpsons is fixed. Until then, I'm just going to binge The Clone Wars final season at some point soon and then let it collect virtual dust.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
There's plenty of great content on Disney+, unfortunately for me the service is still kinda glitchy. I only use it through Ps4.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Not half-baked but super limited. No Fox, all family shows and movies. It's good for a once-in-a-while nostalgia kick, or if you have kids, but beyond that... 🤷‍♂️

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
The selection of classic shows isn't all it could be. Where's Pepper Ann? Where's House of Mouse? Where's Shnookums and Meat? Why are the classic Disney shorts being parceled out one-by-one instead of just having a dedicated Mickey section, a Donald section, etc.?

OP
OP
Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Their player (at least on PS4) is absolute rubbish. Constant stuttering, occasional freezes, and random fast forwarding make me thankful I'm not the one paying for the service.

Oh man yes! I didn't even go into this but it does this weird buffering on every single show where you start it and the picture freezes and the dialogue continues for about 10 sec and then it pauses completely and starts over. Absolutely bizarre

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
it peaked with mando with originals, but i do appreciate how fast theyve been releasing the big hitters like frozen 2, onward and soon Rise of Skywalker

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
It's cheap and the back catalogue alone is worth triple what they're already charging me, imo.

I have no complaints.

If you only got it for the newer stuff though, then yeah, I can see why you'd be disappointed. The pandemic has only exacerbated the situation to boot.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So now that the Mandalorian is over and I blazed through all of the Star Wars content and watched Frozen 2 (Wow was that movie terrible) and other random Disney Quarantine Movies it has pretty much just sat there. Doing nothing. I already had Hulu before and when you actually open up ESPN+ you realize how ridiculously vapid that app is (NO LAST DANCE! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!) I just canceled today and am thinking about jumping on the early bird special for HBO MAX instead but couldn't help but wonder if any of you are feeling the same way.

I'm sure there are those that feels there is nothing on there besides marvel/Star Wars and kid shows, but for many, it's been a major source of family entertainment. I feel for the monthly price it's worthwhile.

Disney plus wasn't made for everyone, and that's ok 🤷‍♂️

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I've been taking advantage of it as a Star Wars fan who never watched the multiple animated series. Fell in love with The Clone Wars and will move on to Rebels and Resistance, accordingly.

I also am piggybacking off a relative's subscription, though, so...

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was in for rewatching old shows and movies. The other stuff was just a bonus