• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you enjoy doing the dishes?

• It's literally the worst chore ever. I hate it.

Votes: 84 37.7%
  • Yeah, I find it relaxing.

Votes: 65 29.1%
  • It's fine, I guess.

Votes: 74 33.2%

• Total voters

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
I enjoy it too....but I really don't like getting "dish-pan hands". That shit is for real! Always moisturize after hand-washing your dishes.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I really like doing chores since I discovered the joy of listening to the Watch Out For Fireballs podcast and doing them at the same time. Feels good to hear about games whilst tidying up.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
It's the best excuse to listen to an album you wouldn't in any other situation. Also lots of podcasts are weird to listening to while working or gaming, but fit doing dishes perfectly.
Basically this, but I watch anime or TV while doing dishes. I get more engrossed in them since I'm not distracted by my phone or the internet.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
It's not the worst but it's certainly not fun. I don't have a dishwasher so it's all by hand for me and I'm so ready to not have to do it anymore.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Do y'all use gloves? That makes or breaks it for me. I hate washing dishes without gloves.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I can't stand doing them without gl...
Do y'all use gloves? That makes or breaks it for me. I hate washing dishes without gloves.
Exactly this, with gloves it's okay.

I always do the dishes shortly after I finish my meal, I don't like it when people push that to the next day when everything dried on all the plates and it gets even harder to clean stuff.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I hated cleaning dirty dishes as a kid. Now as an adult I hate putting clean dishes away. I make my kids do that part.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind it, but we're onbly two people and we don't cook enough for it to be a massive thing every night. It's usually just a couple plates and pans. If it was a family of four, making full-on meals each night, I'm sure it would become a huge pain pretty quick

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan. Family of 4 and the dishes pile up. Loading the dishwasher frustrates me sometimes cause I want to fit everything in but sometimes it doesn't all fit so then I'm left pondering if I put things in the most efficient way. Other issue is my wife doesn't like to rinse off her dirty dishes and just thinks putting it in the dishwasher will do the trick and then I empty it and there are plates with stuff still stuck on them.

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
My own dishes yes.. gives me some alone time. also some time to think. Also i like clean dishes and my wife umm kinda speed washes and can sometimes miss things so it gives me piece of mind as well.
Very therapeutic

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
after 10 years living by myself I am getting my first dishwasher tomorrow. it's a real beauty, too. 39 dBA (which I'm told translates to impressively silent) and everything.

I used to find some charm in doing the dishes while watching Conan or something but in the long run it simple eats up too much time. life is incredibly short.

I've never been so excited about a home applicance.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's alright, but the soap kills my hands so I haven't been doing it anymore and just leave it to other people in the house. I do the main cooking so it evens out. I need to get some gloves so I can do them sometimes, but haven't yet.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing! I wish I could work as a professional steward full-time! :D

However, not only washing dishes in a restaurant with hot water is great, but for health purposes is a must.
I ended up catching a cold every week in a job where I had to wash dishes and kitchenware every day with cold water...

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's my favorite chore. I love to zen out and wash a ton of dishes. I have a never-used dishwasher in my place. It's a decade old but immaculate. I'd sell it if I could figure out what to put in the hole!

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do enjoy watching people do the dishes tho. That I like.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
if it's not a mountain of dishes I don't mind doing them and just listening to music and focusing on the single task.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine, I guess. I dread doing it but it's whatever when I get started.

I wash slowly though and feel like I'm wasting water. I've been told modern dishwashers are actually more efficient, so if it's a lot I'll just use that.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
dear lord no. if you enjoy it something is wrong with you (half joking)

that said i do them constantly. just one or two dirty dishes in the sink makes me feel like white trash

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
I like the part where you try to efficiently puzzle in the dishes in the drying rack.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
I do. I've had the burden of always doing them because of incredibly lazy family, so it became a comfort thing for me. It's fun to clean things and get them back into shape.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Not entirely sure I enjoy doing them, but I love having them done. I usually leave them on the table after eating, but then insist on doing them next time I am in the kitchen for whatever reason, so they never last long (I don't do the soaking thing).

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Im ok with it, just turn on some music or podcast (same for cooking) and do it. What pisses my off is my gf (or anyone) mixing plates that are barely dirty with others that are completely full of rests of food/sauce etc. I like to spread the plates around the kichen with a bit of water inside instead of piling them up before cleaning.

Dont make the "clean" plates dirtier! Get out of my kitchen!

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread made me think of this music video and the story behind it:

Honestly, for me it's weird. Sometimes I find it relaxing, other times I find it stressful. I suppose depends how I'm feeling and how bad the dishes are.