• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who would win in a fight?

• Freddy Krueger (Nightmare on Elm Street)

Votes: 134 76.1%
  • Vecna (Stranger Things)

Votes: 42 23.9%

• Total voters

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
So recently, i have seen this idea discussed a lot to the point that even Robert Englund decided to get onto this debate, who do you think would win in a traditional DEATH BATTLE style to the death - Freddy Krueger from Nightmare in Elm Street or Vecna from Stranger Things

rs_1024x759-220526130938-Vecna-and-Freddy-Kruger-2.jpg

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I mean it matters where the fight is happening.

But so that Freddy actually has any powers and isn't just a child murder with a nifty glove, I assume the dream world.

In the dream world. Vecna has got no shot. Ever.

Oct 26, 2017
Freddy is basically impossible to kill (again) compared to Vecna and avoiding Vecna is fairly easy (listening to your favorite song) whereas avoiding Freddy involves sleep deprivation which will kill you.

Not even close, Freddy is absurdly overpowered.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Given their track records, probably some rando teenagers would show up and take them both out (until the sequel, obvi!)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Freddy would win this in a mindscape battle but Vecna would snap his neck on the spot if they encountered each other physically.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Freddy is essentially impossible to kill and has shown to be way more creative in terms of his kills. He sucked a guy into a videogame.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
I'll say Vecna is more powerful. He kills his victims in the "mind scape" IIRC, and he has physical monsters that can kill in the real world.

Freddy can only kill in dreams. Seems like a disadvantage since Vecna can kill two ways.

Freddy was killed with a pipe bomb in Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare.

Vecna survived multiple physical attacks, but nobody stuck a pipe bomb in him yet.

Oct 26, 2017
My mild take is that Freddy is a terrible villain because he is so absurdly powerful.

He has essentially no reasonable limit to his powers so any time he's defeated it feels like total bullshit.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Didn't some kids with powers similar to Vecna and Eleven basically defeat Freddy in one of the movies?

NeoGold123

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Freddy was pulled into reality in Freddy's Dead and still had his powers, he was just mortal. So I think Freddy wins in either the mind or physical realm.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Freddy is a poorly written villain to keep the movies coming out. Because of that, he's basically invincible. If you go to sleep, he's got you. Wherever you are. Vecna might be a powerful telepath, but he's still a local threat. Freddy will get you anywhere.

Freddy has fought other telepaths, and won.

Freddy has fought immortal monsters, and won.

Freddy will win.

In any one fight Vecna might be able to take Freddy especially since he does have some control over dream / astral / mental reality. Vecna is a big and powerful tank compared to Freddy's more indirect and ambush-based fuckery.

However, Freddy's real super power is that he is literally a memetic virus. Just thinking about Freddy gives him power and makes him more real. Thus he is impossible to destroy. He will always come back.

NeoGold123

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Who would win if both were in the physical realm
Vecna is a contender, but he's just got the force style telekinesis, whereas Freddy has his full on dream style shenanigans. Freddy is really just super OP as portrayed in his media, so unless Vecna comes out with some real business in the next season, he just doesn't have enough juice.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
I've only seen the first Nightmare on Elm Street and it was like 17 years ago that I saw it. Does Freddy actually exist outside of dreams at all after dying the first time?

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Vecna is a contender, but he's just got the force style telekinesis, whereas Freddy has his full on dream style shenanigans. Freddy is really just super OP as portrayed in his media, so unless Vecna comes out with some real business in the next season, he just doesn't have enough juice.
Yeah. i think Freddy's manipulation of the Dream World is stronger then Vecna's manipulation of the Upside Down Realm

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
If Freddy can Kill the unkillable Jason Voorhees in the dreamworld, then nobody can stop him.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever have a protagonist beat Freddy through lucid dreaming?

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Freddy can probably beat anyone in the dreamworld, probably even Goku. That's how strong Freddy is in the right environment.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Based on posts here and my knowledge of Vecna from D&D, I'm gonna assume he's not quite as threatening in stranger things?

Oct 25, 2017
If Freddy can Kill the unkillable Jason Voorhees in the dreamworld, then nobody can stop him.

From what I recall, Jason was defeating him, even in the dream world, and Freddy only got the upper hand when he accidentally discovered his fear of water, which reduced Jason to a cowering child.
So invulnerable characters do seem to have an advantage against Freddy.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
From what I recall, Jason was defeating him, even in the dream world, and Freddy only got the upper hand when he accidentally discovered his fear of water, which reduced Jason to a cowering child.

Oh, Freddy kicks Jason's ass in the dream world. It's fun to watch.

Jason's two-move regroup is heavily assisted by sportsmanship award recipient Freddy deciding not to use his dream powers to nullify Jason's limited arsenal.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWPq9Hb81aM

Oct 25, 2017

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I mean we already know Freddy shits on DnD entities
Bw2pj7o.gif

IxDuwkU.jpg

He doesn't believe in fairy tales