• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
FF is in an amazing situation where there have been at least four godly composers working on the series, and we can already bet the OST for XVI will be awesome. Music is one thing the series always seems to nail. But who do you think will be helming XVI's musical direction? And who do you want? the way I see it, there are four options.

- Masashi Hamauzu: the most involved composer in the single player FF games in a decade, Hamauzu scored all of XIII, most of XIII-2 and LR. Additionally, he did most of VII Remake, contributing his own works as well as takes on the classics. Hes been as prolific with FF in the 2010s as Uematsu was in the decades before him, and may be an easy pick for the next one.

- Nobuo Uematsu: The man most responsible for FF's legendary musical history, he composed all the way through X. He has since returned to do music for both XIV and VII Remake. It would be a big deal for him to be the main supervisor for XVI's soundtrack, as he hasn't held the role in a while. But I could see him contributing some stuff.

- Yoko Shimomura: Working with SE for a long time due to her iconic work on the Kingdom Hearts series, Shimomura also claims the lead composer role for the most recent mainline game - XV. With this in mind, she's also a candidate going forward. She seemed to step back a bit from KH3 and let other composers give takes on her work, so who knows what she's been busy with since XV.

Masayoshi Soken - Though he doesn't have a single player FF under his belt yet, Soken has become a well loved FF composer thanks to his contributions to Final Fantasy XIV. With rumors that Yoshi P and the XIV team would actually be tackling XVI, I see Soken as a viable candidate for taking the lead composer role for the game.

Of course, there are tons of other composers that contribute to the scores of FF games, so feel free to shout them out if you think they have a chance or feel they should!

Waxy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm blanking on his name right now, but I'd love to see the composer for Octopath Traveler given the chance with a mainline FF. I think he'd do a great job

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Probably someone else, just because all of those folks feel like they're super busy on a game already into production (Shimomura is always racking up a ton of credits, so I'm assuming there, while Uematsu iunno). Don't really have any worries in this department though, since it's the one thing SE basically always nails.

Maybe Hitoshi Sakimoto, though he's also super busy at all times too.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm blanking on his name right now, but I'd love to see the composer for Octopath Traveler given the chance with a mainline FF. I think he'd do a great job
Yasunori Nishiki iirc. And yeah, he'd do an awesome job and I'll vote for him. Having said that, FF7 Remake composers like Hamauzu and Suzuki will be great too.

Not really worried who gets the role coz FFs always hit it out of the park with Music.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XIV: ShadowBANGERZ

Soken all day

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god, kind of insane he hasn't been the lead composer for a mainline FF now that I think about it.

That'd be amazing.
It feels like Mitsuda is probably on whatever MonolithSoft is working on.

Regarding everyone mentioning Soken... Dude is working himself ragged keeping up with FFXIV, which will keep getting expansions. He doesn't have the time for anything else.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
FFXIV has the best FF soundtrack and can match any other game as well, so Soken gets my vote. Easily on the same level as someone like Jeremy Soule.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
On a tangent, Mitsuda announced he will score for "Sea of Stars", which is an indie JRPG that looks like Chrono Trigger. Keeping an eye on that for sure.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Shimomura is probably not down for another full OST and Uematsu's health issues probably prevent him from doing anything substantial.

Just...anyone but Hamauzu. His musical style is utterly boring. Not a single good song out of the guy.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I loved Junya Nakano's contributions to FFX and the Threads of Fate ost is great (passing through the forest is incredible) but I don't know anything he's done recently. Shame, he was really good.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
If FFXVI returns to steampunk medieval setting with castle and shit, I want whoever did FFXII music.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
Hard to say, could be any one of those mentioned in the OP, but for me personally, Hitoshi Sakimoto. His style is best suited for a medieval fantasy setting which I'm hoping Final Fantasy XVI will use.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
If its somehow an ivalice game, god forbid, we all know who's doing the soundtrack......

I suspect it'll be Soken as the lead composer if Yoshi-P is actually the director. I also think that Takeharu ishimoto and Yasunori Nishiki will contribute some works to the soundtrack.

I've my doubts on Hamauzu because he just came off of VIIR, Uematsu because it's been so long in general and Shimomura because both FFXV and KH3 have seen her step back a bit.

That said I really do want a Keiichi Okabe/MONACA soundtrack for an FF one day

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Soken would be amazing but no doubt has his hands full with FFXIV for a long time. Which is fine since he keeps putting out bangers and has a ton of variety.

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
If Yoshida is indeed the lead of XVI it will probably be Soken. I'd be happy with a multi membered crew as well, they've got enough talents at Square Enix for that. Doubt that given Uematsu's health he'd be game for it, may be the main theme eventually.

Oct 25, 2017
It will probably be Soken.

But I always wondered what a Takeharu Ishimoto ost for a mainline entry would be like. He did some incredible work on portable games and spin-offs.

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
I imagine Soken will take lead if Yoshi-P's studio is making the game, and I'm fine with that. I don't expect Uematsu to ever return to FF in full capacity, he'll just contribute the main theme/vocal song and leave the rest to others.

That said, I want to see Matsuno return as a writer and bring Sakimoto and the other Basiscape folks with him.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I would like Soken on it, FFXIV still has at least 2 expansions to go and he'll be on that for the forseeable future. He might contribute a couple of tracks, but I can't see him being the lead composer on this.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see Soken flex his chops with a single player game, I don't know how that would impact XIV's development.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Shimomura is probably not down for another full OST and Uematsu's health issues probably prevent him from doing anything substantial.

Just...anyone but Hamauzu. His musical style is utterly boring. Not a single good song out of the guy.
Hamauzu's music is frequently beautiful, emotional and complex. His writing is technically masterful and clearly shows he has a brilliant mind. Not only that but he's stylistically versatile, bringing other genres and styles into his orchestral works in new and exciting ways. All while maintaining a unique voice that is distinctly Hamauzu.

You can certainly not prefer his music, but your constant vendetta against Hamauzu is growing tiresome, and saying there's not a single good song out of him is hyperbole to the extreme.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
What happened to the guy who made FF Crisis Core and FF Type-0 soundtracks?

Felt he was amazing and really Uematsu in spirit

He should do it!!!!!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
What happened to the guy who made FF Crisis Core and FF Type-0 soundtracks?

Felt he was amazing and really Uematsu in spirit

He should do it!!!!!
That's Takeharu Ishimoto, who also did the amazing The World Ends With You soundtrack, but has been kind of... Weak the last few years. His work in Kingdom Hearts 3 and Dream Drop Distance was not good.

mfiuza

Sep 20, 2019
Yasunori Nishiki, he did an awesome job on Octopath Traveler, and he made and AWESOME arrangement for the bosses theme on World of Tres cd/shows

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Takeharu Ishimoto, guy who did Crisis Core and Type-0 and TWEWY

Most underrated composer imo

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kumi Tanioka

It's frankly appalling how little works she's had since the end of Crystal Chronicles.