• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

who do you think the GOP will nominate as their candidate in 2024

• Nikki Haley

Votes: 60 12.3%
  • Tom Cotton

Votes: 81 16.6%
  • Josh Hawley

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • Donald Trump Jr./Ivanka Trump

Votes: 131 26.8%
  • Ron DeSantis

Votes: 37 7.6%
  • Mitt Romney

Votes: 90 18.4%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 75 15.3%

• Total voters

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I would guess Haley or Rick Scott.

I want to see Ted Cruz in the primaries as well.

Really interesting to see if they distance themselves from Trump or if they fight over who was the most loyal..or somehow pretend he never existed

Cotton himself has definitely been trying to pitch himself as Trump 2.0. So regardless of what the party does once Trump is out of office, Cotton will undoubtedly try to carry on his White Supremacist legacy.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Tom Cotton seems to channel the MAGA conspiracy theories, crazy views, and racism of Trump like no other. So if the MAGA cult wants to double down, then he is their guy, and I expect it to be.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's not going to be Tom Cotton.

Trump will be an anomaly. He was a fluke.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Lincoln Project seems like they're going to prop up Romney; from what I read he's basically the only one they're not going after.
Yeah LP wants to go back to the "elite evil genius" GOP candidates (e.g. both Bushes). Romney will definitely run. I do think Haley provides an opportunity for the GOP to pull a "see, we are not racist/sexist!".

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be someone like Trump. Most Republicans are too addicted to that 'owning the libs above all' style of presidency to go back to some other kind of Presidential candidate.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
If Trump Jr runs, he's a lock in for the primary.

Expect full-bore Qanon campaign.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
If the Lincoln Party branch of the party wins, Larry Hogan (who is terrible, don't be fooled by his mirage or reasonableness. His advocacy against school funding is really bad).

Otherwise, I think if Trump loses this time he could potentially win the nomination again if the field is super split up. Assuming he isn't dead, in jail, or enjoying asylum in Russia by then.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I selected Hawley. I think him and Cotton will both play well with primary voters.

Tucker Carlson too, if he actually runs.

I'm very skeptical the base will nominate Nikki Haley, but she would probably be the most dangerous in the general. Feels like the Dems will lose a majority of their recent gains in the suburbs the moment the GOP nominates a woman who goes back to just talking about taxes and doesn't say all the quiet parts out loud.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Tucker Carlson
Haley will probably run but she's not what the neo confederate party is looking for in any way

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Nikki Haley or Josh Hawley are the ones that really have the best shot if Trump loses, I think.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
You guys cannot be serious with these Tucker Carlson picks.

It's gonna be a current or former GOP governor, like usual.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Whoever is the loudest during debates.

Romney will run but lose the primary because he won't be loud enough and try too hard to appeal to moderates. Cotton will have a larger presence at first but drop off after a dumb comment that gets him. Haley will say she's considering and then not run. Trump family will disown politics, while claiming they will run for the next 50 years to grift people (if they don't wind up fleeing the country or going to jail). DeSantis is fucked from his COVID response.

Hawley is loud enough he might get it. He's started to criticize the party generally while keeping certain authoritarian rhetoric in play. But it's likely none of these, and instead we'll see an outsider again. I feel it could be a younger millennial, who will make fun of all the old people being out of touch, and do like Trump did and turn the entire party into his own.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It depends entirely on whether or not Trump loses in the Fall. If he does the. I think you'll see them ease up on their Trumpian messages on race and you'll see a candidate like Cruz, Romney or Rubio attempt to reclaim some of their Latino vote.

People forget but pre-9/11 the GOP was attempting to pivot towards a platform that was more inclusive toward Latino voters. They're a demographic that is very catholic in the south with suburban Latinos in particular leaning towards many conservative ideals.

If Trump loses then I think you'll see a candidate who differentiates themselves based on what I outlined above. It would be interesting to see.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Noem has been auditioning for the VP role for years now. I have no Idea who the Pres pick would be.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I voted Other because I have no idea what the party will look like by then, but I'm pretty sure it'll be no one on that list.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Y'all acting like trump will even be around in 2024 if he loses in November. He will either: Be in prison, be living in exile in whatever country he escaped to in order to avoid prosecution, or he will have eaten a bullet.

Trump's "legacy" will be more of a factor in 2024 because the man himself has no ideology, so a legacy is amorphous and can take the shape of whatever racist policy is fashionable at the time.

The image of a primary campaign where Tucker, Cotton, and Haley are all trying to out-Trump each other in order to energize whatever of his base has survived Covid is going to be quite the circus.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it matters unless they change their platform to undercut Dems.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Brokered convention between Trump's people and the GOP that want to change things. Kasich or a similar anti-Trump will win the convention, Trump's people stay home, GOP gets killed, party splits.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
If Trump wins, or he loses but his base doesn't totally implode or disengage, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Ivanka.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
Romney, if Trump loses in 2020.
If Trump wins in 2020: Any number of crazy right-wing grifters like Papa John for example. Or maybe we'll just have Trump forever.