• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Worst is Shadow because he's the harbinger of dumb anime edgelord bullshit that was a key part of ruining the franchise and that even after all these years it feels like they can never really escape.

Best is also Shadow because my inner 12 year old marks the fuck out whenever he gets on his Vegeta bullshit, and really isn't making your inner 12 year old happy what Sonic's really all about?

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really actively dislike any of Sonic's friends.

Tails is, obviously, the best friend.

Blaze is the best modern friend; especially as she is designed as a classic friend. Sonic's base move set but with a twist.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Best is also Shadow because my inner 12 year old marks the fuck out whenever he gets on his Vegeta bullshit, and really isn't making your inner 12 year old happy what Sonic's really all about?
you tellin' me sonic isn't a serious series for serious gamer adults like myself?
wacky go fast chili dog hedgehog isn't the pinnacle of maturity?

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the main three, I would say E-102 Gamma, but Gamma never really developed into a friend of Sonic. I guess the real answer is Shadow then. I do really like how you can cheese Sonic Advance 2 with Cream, but I'm completely neutral towards Cream as an actual character.

OP nailed the worst one with Marine. I do like her design, but her personality was annoying as hell. The Babylon Rogues are utter crap too. I guess Wave is a bit better than the other two.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
What recent events? Please don't make me Google 'Shadow the Hedgehog news'
Shadow the hedghog as of late under sega's brilliance they decided to have him actually act like the meme some people joke about. And alot of folks hate it actually. So he was never actually a meme, they tried to make him one and it has gone and is going rather poorly. And it isn't just fans, folks working on the stuff in official capacity hate it too. Its like " goku being a bad dad " that's a fun joke but if you try to make it real its shitty writing. Its like if you try to make shadow actually vegeta its just shitty

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Knuckles and Tails are obvious mainstays. Mania warmed me up to Mighty and Ray, and Blaze is fine too I guess. That's really it for me, though Amy can stay because she's been around as long as Tails has. Chaotix get a pass for being tolerable, but I don't care if I never see them again.

Shadow, Rouge, Big, Cream, Silver, etc all suck horribly...though Sonic Team knows their audience.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
RUlGzJw.png

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Knuckles and Tails are obviously staples, along with Eggman as the villain. Only one other than them that I like is probably Blaze.

I wouldn't be sad to see the rest of them all cut out of the franchise. Although ask me this question 20 years ago and I'd have said Shadow and Espio are the best.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
Charmy Bee, ugh. What a horrible character. I'm only familiar with some old STC strips but he was annoying as heck. Espio didn't have much of a character but I like his design. Also I just realised what his name is from, jesus...

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
I dislike the term Sonic's 'shitty friends', believe it only became a thing when Sonic Team introduced half-assed gimmicks attached to Sonic characters. (like fishing, shooting, fighting, psychokinesis, shooting, and treasure hunting - although the last 2 were actually executed decently in SA1/2)

Which hasn't really been a thing since Sonic Unleashed now.

Pretty sure it's this mindset that has caused Sega to be too scared to any other playable characters except for Sonic. If they still played similar to Sonic and have some form of impact towards the main protagonist (like Sonic 2, 3, K, Mania and the Adventure titles) then I don't think many would be too fussed by this move. (Especially if some are just bosses which lead to being optional characters somewhat like Shadow in Sonic Forces)

But in terms of characters in the Sonic universe that I personally like, including the main cast, these are:
  • Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy
  • Shadow, Rouge, Omega
  • Blaze, Silver, Cream
  • Vector, Espio
  • Eggman, Orbot/Cubot, Infinite
Bolded are my favourites. The only character that I dislike is Marine. She served almost no purpose to the game's or story.

Last edited:

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Favorite probably Blaze, she has a great design and probably the best part of Silver story

Worst honestly I am not a fan of the Sonic Jam new characters from Sonic Fighter. They just have blah designs and honestly just best left to rot with other forgotten characters like Knack the Weasel.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Other than Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles?

Blaze is good.

Everyone else sucks.

Chip is the fucking worst.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My favourite is by far Vector. Least favourite is Cream.
I also really like Fang/Nack.

Silver was a great concept with a shitty design in an even shittier game, poor guy gets too much flak. Similar thoughts on Infinite, decent concept for a baddie but awful design lol.

Last edited:

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Big, E-102 and Blaze are the best (the former more down to his vibe rather than the gameplay). Tangle and Whisper are also fantastic and need to be folded into the main crew.

Rouge needs a redesign to be less out-of-place but her personality is great, Silver is a dork and I love that

Worst is probably the one-offs like Chip, the lady from Secret Rings, Merlina etc. Also I have an inate dislike for most of the SatAM cast, though their redesigns towards the end of the Archie comics run made them more tolerable

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
Silver's probably my favorite with a large part of that being owed to sonic rivals and hoe much I love his design. Espio is a good close second, ninja chameleon is a p cool concept.

Worst is probably Charmy the bee, I mean hes charmy the bee

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Silver was a great concept with a shitty design in an even shittier game, poor guy gets too much flak. Similar thoughts on Infinite, decent concept for a baddie but awful design lol.
i really want Infinite to come back in a really self-aware way where he tries to make everyone take him seriously and they all just brush him off like "yeah okay loser"

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I think Shadow is the worst, Knuckles was good enough as the rival. If they kept Shadow dead after SA2, I actually think he would have been alright at that point.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Not including Tails or Knuckles, I think my favorite is Blaze. Worst, I don't know, maybe Charmy. I honestly don't dislike anyone from the games other than the Deadly Six.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I am generally okay with the Chaotix. Shadow is clearly the worst. Get that edgelord shit out of here.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Not including Tails or Knuckles, I think my favorite is Blaze. Worst, I don't know, maybe Charmy. I honestly don't dislike anyone from the games other than the Deadly Six.
the deadly six are both inexplicable and really out of place in Sonic as a whole
I liked lost world and I just don't understand the design decisions made regarding them (and their characterizations were pretty flaccid too)

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Espio and Vector have always been two characters I liked a lot, and were definitely a welcome break from the usual "reptiles are abhorrent" trope that usually accompanies furry mascot games. Vector, technically, is just as old as Sonic, no less.

I think the only Sonic character I don't really care for is Marine. But considering she hasn't made an actual in-game appearance now going on thirteen years, I guess I don't really have to be so concerned. Even friggin Eggman Nega appeared recently in another M&S game!

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Amy, Rogue, Blaze & Cream are the only Sonic characters that I care about.

The rest can go.

Last edited: