• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who do you swipe left on?

• Everyone. I want to die alone.

Votes: 56 16.0%
  • No one.

Votes: 20 5.7%
  • Nazis.

Votes: 194 55.6%
  • People I'm not attracted to.

Votes: 264 75.6%
  • People who I don't think would be a good fit.

Votes: 199 57.0%
  • People with overly professional photos.

Votes: 80 22.9%
  • People who are too attractive.

Votes: 52 14.9%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
So, I'm curious if I'm the only one who doesn't like people(I don't usually use the okcupid swipie thingy) on dating apps because their photos look too good. Either in that they are modeling photos -- making me suspect it's a fake profile. Or that the girl is too conventionally attractive and they would never like me back. Which I know is weird and dumb in a very 90s teen movie kind of way. And even if it's accurate, I lose nothing by liking them. But I still don't.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
people that I rather not waste my time on - whatever that is for you

I'm rather picky and I think it's good, saves time for both of us as I swipe left on someone that I don't feel myself
I could be with

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
Usually, it tends to be people with only one photo, with dog/bunny ears, no written description at all or just cliches, or clearly saying that if you're shorter than a hobbit they are not going to date you. I'm about 177 cm high, but that's apparently short for many here in Denmark!

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
No one, I'm never going to get any matches anyway so I might as well give myself the best possible chance.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Usually, it tends to be people with only one photo, with dog/bunny ears, no written description at all or just cliches, or clearly saying that if you're shorter than a hobbit they are not going to date you. I'm about 177 cm high, but that's apparently short for many here in Denmark!

Danish are the 5th tallest people in the world (181 cm on average), apparently.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
You have your first photo of you rock climbing, kayaking, cycling, or hiking up somewhere like Machu Picchu, automatic swipe left. You'll make me do stuff. I don't want to do stuff.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Back in the day, When 3/4 of their profile is about some nerdy shit.

Or they have random comments on there like " if you listen to the Beatles and read 80s Finnish comics, you're awesomesauce!"

Dunno, just find it mad corny.

And I guess on some level I link overt nerdiness with whiteness and they're probably not interested in my black ass

Oct 30, 2017
I'm most into 7's & 8's. I don't usually even bother with 10s for similar reasons as OP. Plus I'd have to fight off a swath of guys every damn day if I dated a 10.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
If they're either too ugly or too attractive

oh, and they also mention "my beautiful baby girl/boy" or "walking dead"

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
1. Anyone I'm not attracted to
2. No description or one with bad grammar/spelling
3. Mentions Donald IS OUR president
4. Overly patriotic imagery in their pictures
5. Mentions God or Jesus
6. Vegans

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Nazi's, people who probably aren't a good fit and people with overly professional photos.

As a leftist vegan I do notice dating sites/apps are terrible for people with morals.

AngryMoth

Oct 25, 2017
On Hinge I'm actually quite picky and only give a like to maybe 1/10 people because I'm looking for someone with similar interests and a lot of people make really boring, bog standard profiles that don't show off their personality and make it hard to think of anything to say to them.

Bumble on the other hand I swipe right on 90% of people because I never get any matches so may as well lol.

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
Danish are the 5th tallest people in the world (181 cm on average), apparently.
Yeah, I can believe that... Lots of tall people here.

At the end of the day, to each their own... If you prefer somebody taller than yourself, then that's ok. But when the person in question is just a few cm shorter than me and they're only looking for people >185 cm, then it sounds like they're restricting their choices quite a bit!

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I got married not long before the dating apps became a thing. I'm probably lucky, I don't think I would fare well in this age.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't been on Tinder in a bit, but ones where they have like a list of requirements, all based on looks.

"Hey guys swipe right if you..
have a beard,
have tattoos,
over 6ft,
fit"

Even when I meet their dumb requirements I swipe left.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know if it's just me but most of the people on Tinder are not my type. Incredibly vain, but then I guess how do you be humble on a dating/hooking up app?
I swipe right on pretty much anything I'd bang 😂 But I swipe left if they're unattractive, or I know them.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Never used one. Started dating my wife when dating sites started taking off. I'm grateful cuz I'm really bad at first impressions.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most people, but DEFINITELY people who have nothing but an IG link on their profile. They are just the worst.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
just skimming the thread, it appears a lot of you are using dating apps incorrectly.

Think of it like a bar. It's a place to meet people, have a little chit chat, and see if you would like to go out some time. It's not a place you go to expecting to find the perfect match immediately.

with that said, i'd always swipe left if I wouldn't want to have drunk sex with them, or if they had an obviously objectionable profile

Haven't been on Tinder in a bit, but ones where they have like a list of requirements, all based on looks.

"Hey guys swipe right if you..
have a beard,
have tattoos,
over 6ft,
fit"

Even when I meet their dumb requirements I swipe left.

lol I remember some chick on okc had some super-high standards. So I sent her a joke message to lower her standards, all with obvious misspellings and bad grammar. She wrote back about how I needed to move out of my parent's basement and get a job

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What dating apps are people using where they've seen someone declare themselves a nazi? Whitesonly?

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
What dating apps are people using where they've seen someone declare themselves a nazi? Whitesonly?

Tinder:
7fdf286.jpg

Yes. That is a swatsika on the flag.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
didn't expect 45% of era posters would entertain swiping right on nazis
Lol dude, the immoral thing to do is swipe right on everyone (without even looking, it doesn't matter) and then choose amongst those who swiped right on you as well. It's not a great thing to do (and I'm not saying I did it), but it's obviously the best strategy and has nothing to do with endorsing Nazis. Presumably, they'd not make it past phase 2.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Lol dude, the immoral thing to do is swipe right on everyone (without even looking, it doesn't matter) and then choose amongst those who swiped right on you as well. It's not a great thing to do (and I'm not saying I did it), but it's obviously the best strategy and has nothing to do with endorsing Nazis. Presumably, they'd not make it past phase 2.
it used to be the best thing to do but it's not anymore

if you swipe right on a lot of people who swipe left on you (which would happen with this strategy) the algorithm classifies you as unattractive, which affects who you'll be shown to

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Anyone who mentions the office or how great their dog is.

Honeslty I find 85% of tinder boring as fuck. They post 5 pictures of themselves drinking with friends and have absolutely nothing in their bio. What am I supposed to work with in that situation?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If I see the word "dog" "God" or "Venmo" I'm probably out.

In theory Nazis too but I've yet to see one.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
The people I'm not vibing for whatever reason. I'm so relieved that I've never thought to swipe left on someone because they were too pretty or too cool.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You forget to add dog snout, cat ears, sparkle filters, etc. Those people go directly in the pass list. I assume you're an idiot.

Professional photos are so offputting to me and I'm not 100% why. I mean, I know why I don't like them but I don't why I dislike them as much as I do.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
People I wouldn't want to fuck. That means unattractive people mostly.

I'm not looking for a relationship, if I did, I certainly wouldn't search for one on Tinder.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
- Unattractive
- People with kids
- Obvious shitheads like nazis and trumpers