• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Duck Hunt: weird and funny. The kind of character I love in Smash.

Ridley (and Samus): Metroid Prime is my favorite game.

King K Rool: good memories of playing DKC and he is so strong and fun to play.

Shulk: A VISION! I SEE IT!

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Most people suggest to me to learn Mario in the beginning, but I'm also a casual/party player and like bouncing around.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Most people suggest to me to learn Mario in the beginning, but I'm also a casual/party player and like bouncing around.

To be honest, Marios are usually the character I fear the most playing against, because nobody plays Mario because that's their favorite character out of the 70+ character lineup, they play them because they're really good with Mario.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I play a whole host of characters but I've been playing Olimar since he was introduced the most... Bit right now I'm on a little bit of a Snake kick. Before that, Inkling. Love jumping around and becoming familiar with lots of characters.

I'm far from a good player overall but I just do my best and have fun that way :)

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've traditionally mained Ness because his psychic powers are cool. Back in the Brawl days I had so much difficulty using his PK Thunder for recovery and offense, but I practiced a lot and grew to love him. So I mained him in Brawl and Smash 4.

In Melee, I main Jigglypuff. She just feels better to me than anybody else there. I also play Peach and Samus for kicks, as they also feel really good.

My Ultimate main is currently undecided. I'm bouncing around a lot between Ice Climbers, Pac-Man, and Bowser Jr. My friends get pissed when I play the weirder characters, so I like to focus on them. Haven't tried Banjo yet but I need to.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I always go for characters I like in their own games first. I considered Xenoblade 1 my favorite game ever when Shulk was added to Smash4 so I gravitated toward him and he's still my main today
until Rex/Pyra get added
But also I love FFVII so Cloud was another I played a lot of.

There's a few exceptions like Richter and Roy though. They're both incredibly fun and also mains of mine but Rondo of Blood and Binding Blade are too difficult for me to really get into as much as I've tried.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Kirby because Kirby is the best boi and I was a big fan of Kirby games. Too bad he's awful.

Even though I dislike RPGs I do enjoy playing as Corrin in Smash. The whole dragon transformation thing is fun.

My other main is Ridley because I like Metroid and enjoyed how he played in a Brawl Project M mod. Which helped hype him up for me when he finally arrived in a official Smash game.

Oct 27, 2017
In the original it was Link, Samus, or Fox. After Melee, it's always Marth. I loved his counter ability and I used to catch my friends off guard so much.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Since you seem curious to explore, I would recommend that you try the fighters out based on what qualities interests you. Things like perceived strength, design, and character (i.e. personality) are some things people use to choose fighters. You can also just pick at random if you feel like experimenting until you find a fighter or fighters you like.

For example, Samus has been my main since 64. I chose her because of her cool sci-fi design and her zoning playstyle which is one of my go-to strategies in fighting games. It also helps that she's my favorite video game character because of those characterisics as well as other ones she displays in the Metroid series.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Cloud because he's Cloud. I do also like his moveset quite a bit. Used to be Marth. Now I'm actually enjoying Roy more than I used to!

I was so hyped for Mega Man getting in, but I just can't gel with playing as him for whatever reason. Still try now and then.

Richter is hot and I kind of like his moveset, so I swap him in sometimes.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
My first melee main was Jigglypuff. At a certain point a friend of mine wanted to start playing Marth so I played a bit of fox against him to help him learn. After that, I've mostly been a fox main ever since. He's so much fun to play.

Eclipse

Jan 31, 2018
Germany
Lucina and Fox. Didn't have a Wii U and Smash 4 but I always watched tournaments and Lucina was fairly well represented and looked interesting to play (to me). I picked up Fox for a similar reason. I'm a big fan of reaction and fast paced game play.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Pits mostly since I love their moveset.

I also dabble with K.Rool, Ike, and Inceneroar when I want something heavy.

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
zerosuit_samus.jpg

"Be still."

Chaining forward airs, the multiple ways to stun your opponent and the most versatile move in all of Smash Bros: the flip jump.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started with Roy.

Then, I moved to Marth and then occasionally Samus.

When Ultimate came around, those three became my "mains". The tier below that contains Peach, Captain Falcon, and Joker.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Go Sonic OP.
It becomes about not killing yourself and just poking people instead of straight destroying everyone. He's so bad he's excellent.

First video off youtube, I bet it's excellent

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I've been playing Link since Melee when I chose him at an airport lounge. I liked a guy with a sword and projectiles. Only switched in Brawl with Toon Link because the 'Tiers are for Queers' movement is stupid (of course Toon Link is better). Currently, I'm at a character crisis between the three Link.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I went in wanting to play characters from my favourite games like Lucas, K.Rool and Toon Link. I was profoundly bad with them so I switched over to Ness, who is hella broken but I don't really care about Earthbound, so every victory felt hollow.

I finally got some salvation with Banjo-Kazooie, who are both beloved icons of my childhood and fun to play.

Sounds like me and Smash 4. I was very excited about Mega Man but his moveset didn't click with me at all. I shopped around a bit but nothing really took until Mewtwo returned, and then later Cloud who became my one and only main. Playing as those two from games I love was a lot more satisfying than playing as like, Duck Hunt.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
It was Roy since Melee since everyone wanted to play Marth. I lost a lot.
Then Ike because it wasn't Marth.
Then Roy again.

BUT NOW, WE HAVE A TRUE CHAMPION OF THE PEOPLE
so I better learn how to play Mii Gunner real quick

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
Bayonetta because she's the flashiest and sassiest witch around <3

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I usually pick randomly, but I love playing with Samus, Banjo, and Kirby. I wish regular online play had a random character option like the tournaments do.

Golden Boy

Dec 12, 2018
It depends on which game we're talking about. But in Ultimate I prefer playing with Villager, Isabelle, Inkling Girl, Zelda and Olimar. I like their looks, their projectile attacks and the overall gimmicky feeling they have while not going overboard. I'm pretty sure Banjo & Kazooie are right up my sleeve too.

Roto64

Oct 27, 2017
When I play with friends or family I don't mind items and all that jazz but I always prefer flat stages, 1 on 1. For Glory was my jam.

I main Toon Link because he looks awesome and it's fun winning with someone so little and not so intimidating. I would love to be good with the following: Villager (also looks cool), Hero ( I love DQ), Ness & Lucas (also cool looking) but, I don't have the time to practice and if I play online, I hate losing all the time because of practice.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Honestly, and don't everyone hate me... Hero. And not just for the goofy RNG elements (though that is part of the fun).

Here's how I find characters I like — just look squarely at their special attacks. You've got 4 - neutral B, side B, up B, and down B. You need to find at LEAST 3/4 to be useful to be a solid character, and 4/4 to be useful to be a main. My preference is to have at least one ranged attack, a good recovery, and a down B that isn't garbage. Hero is one of the only ones that has everything I want, and then some. Plus a devastating side A smash attack and some other good quick sword attacks with range. He's awesome. And he's from one of my favourite series too.

I'm quickly getting better with Banjo and really enjoying the chaos he brings to matches too. Basically, this Fighter's Pass turned Smash from a game I thought was pretty good, to one of my favorite games out right now.