• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
The gimme is Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" over NIN's. It's so much better, people often forget it's a cover at all. Reznor even said something along the lines of "he took my song away from me, and made it entirely his own".

I'm not for gimmes, though. Metallica covered four Diamond Head songs on Garage Inc., and "The Prince" aside, they're all better than the originals (which were already extremely good).

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017

I'm still gonna give this one to S&G. The Disturbed cover is fine, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the original. The cover is, IMO, trying too hard to sound even more melancholy, and it achieves the opposite effect as a result: it's almost comical.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I'm still gonna give this one to S&G. The Disturbed cover is fine, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the original. The cover is, IMO, trying too hard to sound even more melancholy, and it achieves the opposite effect as a result: it's almost comical.

I love the original, but contrary to your reaction, I have seen people make the argument that the original is not as dark as the lyrics suggest it should be. While singing about a very dark subject, Simon & Garfunkel sing it in a very soothing way. Disturbed do it very differently, do the lyrics justice with a deliberately dark performance, upping the epic quotient by quite a bit and elevating the song as a result.

I love both versions but I mostly agree with that assessment - the original is sung almost like a lullaby while the newer version is as dark as the lyrics themselves.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

This one is easy for me. Gary Jules strips everything good out of the Tears for Fears version. It's like listening to it die of a wasting disease. It works in Donnie Darko, as that film opened with unadulterated TfF and thematically it fits with the ending. I wouldn't want to listen to it at any other time though.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I love the original, but contrary to your reaction, I have seen people make the argument that the original is not as dark as the lyrics suggest it should be. While singing about a very dark subject, Simon & Garfunkel sing it in a very soothing way. Disturbed do it very differently, do the lyrics justice with a deliberately dark performance, upping the epic quotient by quite a bit and elevating the song as a result.

I love both versions but I mostly agree with that assessment - the original is sung almost like a lullaby while the newer version is as dark as the lyrics themselves.
Just playing everything in minor key and being more dramatic doesn't make the song better. That's like saying Gary Jules' cover of Mad World is somehow better in spite of-
This one is easy for me. Gary Jules strips everything good out of the Tears for Fears version. It's like listening to it die of a wasting disease. It works in Donnie Darko, as that film opened with unadulterated TfF and thematically it fits with the ending. I wouldn't want to listen to it at any other time though.
Doing pretty much all of this. Remember that trend in movie and game trailers over the last five years where songs with excitement, energy, passion, or simply emotions that weren't "I am the big sad" got weird remixes and covers that made them slower and "sadder"?

The "super sad and edgy" covers worked for me when I was a teenager. Now that I'm older, I appreciate the originals of both Sound of Silence and Mad World, since they contrast the dark subject matter with hopeful or outright upbeat rhythm. It's a purposeful contrast, and going all-in on the "sad" aspect of those songs misses what makes them so good.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Just playing everything in minor key and being more dramatic doesn't make the song better. That's like saying Gary Jules' cover of Mad World is somehow better in spite of-

Doing pretty much all of this. Remember that trend in movie and game trailers over the last five years where songs with excitement, energy, passion, or simply emotions that weren't "I am the big sad" got weird remixes and covers that made them slower and "sadder"?

The "super sad and edgy" covers worked for me when I was a teenager. Now that I'm older, I appreciate the originals of both Sound of Silence and Mad World, since they contrast the dark subject matter with hopeful or outright upbeat rhythm. It's a purposeful contrast, and going all-in on the "sad" aspect of those songs misses what makes them so good.

I'd never say that deliberately choosing a more upbeat manner of singing these songs is wrong, just that they are open to interpretation by the performers and both interpretations are just as valid. I'm far from a teenager myself but I love both the new and original versions of both songs equally. I don't find one interpretation less because they went the more obvious route with it.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not sure whether Tony Williams or Freddie Mercury did The Great Pretender better.

Both are incredible:

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Going by the pots so far, the originals still hold the crown. The posted covers range from mediocre to down right terrible.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Nothing against Jeff Buckley, but it always kind of bugged me how his version of Hallelujah has seemingly supplanted Cohen's original as the default rendition.

Feb 10, 2018
Village people is like a million times better, saijo is just a copycat, and it sounds terrible in that language.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bear MacCreary took over All Along The Watchtower from Dylan. Not even Hendrix did it better than the BSG alumn...

Its a nice cover but Hendrix murdered that song for anyone else attempting to do it.

My pick for this thread, Joan Baez's original version of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You Vs Led Zeppelin's cover.

I actually love Joan's original version but I think the Zeppelin cover takes it to the next level with such a raw emotional take.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Last but not least, and sorry for the double post, but I had to post this, it's cracking me up too much:

Original:

Remake:

ahoyle

Feb 16, 2018
Isnt Whitney's cover of Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You" the easiest of these?

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So I hate to do this because I adore everything about the Beatles and to choose a cover of their songs over their original feels like blasphemy but I submit this..

Fiona did it better while keeping faith to the original. The video is also fantastic and I'd forgotten how beautiful she was as well.

Last edited:

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
The Randy Newman original:

Joe Cocker's take:

Tom Jone's take:

Tom Jones all the way in my book

Last edited:

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say better but this is one the few examples of a pop song with a somber twist that actually works.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Its a nice cover but Hendrix murdered that song for anyone else attempting to do it.

Is a far better version than NIN's original.

Both of those opinions are so wrong. NIN's Hurt & Bear McCreary's All Along The Watchtower >>>>> all the others.
I'll end this post with another hot take that is: Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah >>>>> Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, it's not even funny how Buckley's that much better tbh.

That's it for me, too many hot takes in one day, I'm gonna overheat.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Video Unavailable
Video Unavailable
Video Unavailable
Video Unavailable
Video Unavailable
Video Unavailable

😒

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
That's actually a good description.
Criminal how little footage there is of him. I often ponder sitting him down to let him know how important his music would one day be seen as, but there's so much pain (a decent amount self inflicted it has to be said) in his music we probably wouldn't be talking about him. I wouldn't post a cover of his music lightly but I was a big Sucre fan before I knew they'd done the song. They showed it the respect it deserves while producing a markedly different version. It's hard as fuck to play on guitar too. Nick had the chops for sure and all those altered tunings just melt in the mouth :)

Oh and I can't listen to Poor boy without hearing the piano and sax taking sides in the argument. JC Nick you were stolen.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I'll be that person - can you pleasepost which is he original and which is the cover?