• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
At least in the US, vaccine availability is pretty low. Is Europe's having better luck in that regard? I asked my doc about it and he said he hasn't heard a word about availability around here yet, and he's pretty on top of those things
I know there are vaccines in France but they're limited as well. They're targeted towards MSM and sex workers, mostly.

Oct 25, 2017
this operating under the logic that

a. cishet people get tested as often as sexually active LGBTQ people
b. that the reporting at all represents an accurate representation of the cases
c. the virus hasn't mutated at all
You get very visible physical symptoms with this virus. It isn't something you're getting tested for at a STI clinic.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I took bye's very helpful advice and called some health departments to try to get on a vaccine list. Here is what I learned from multnomah county health department in Portland OR:
-They are able to administer 100 doses per week right now. They are hoping to increase that but will be happy if they can just maintain it. They don't know how many doses they are getting until they receive the shipment.
-As of today there are over 700 people in their waiting list. The queue is growing much more quickly than they are able to get supply.
-I was able to get on the list, but the requirements appear to be very strict.

If you have a confirmed exposure or are a msm and want to be vaccinated, now is the best time to call and get on one of these lists. Sounds like it's just gonna get tougher.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I took bye's very helpful advice and called some health departments to try to get on a vaccine list. Here is what I learned from multnomah county health department in Portland OR:
-They are able to administer 100 doses per week right now. They are hoping to increase that but will be happy if they can just maintain it. They don't know how many doses they are getting until they receive the shipment.
-As of today there are over 700 people in their waiting list. The queue is growing much more quickly than they are able to get supply.

If you have a confirmed exposure or are a msm and want to be vaccinated, now is the best time to call and get on one of these lists. Sounds like it's just gonna get tougher.

I have an update on this. They called me again right after I posted this with extra doses and I'm now fully vaccinated. Yes, fully, because according to the guy at the health department, the CDC is seeing very good results with a single dose of this vaccine and will no longer be scheduling second doses due to scarcity issues.

I also was given info on quickly getting vaccinated which I was invited to distribute to friends who would like to receive the vaccine immediately. I do not want to get anyone in trouble so I'm not going to post it publicly. But if you are a msm in the Portland OR metro area who would like to be vaccinated against monkeypox as soon as possible, shoot me a dm and I will be happy to share this info with you.

landing43

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2022
The problem is that it's not really a consequence, it's deliberate. The media is purposefully making it the next "gay panic"

Look how the CDC talks about it and how it's reported:

Reporting it like this just increases the "groomer" anti-LGBTQ+ rhetoric that is becoming more widespread.
The CDC has had multiple failures regarding COVID since early 2020.

Are we still under the assumption that they are still being responsible enough both for COVID and now Monkeypox?

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I have an update on this. They called me again right after I posted this with extra doses and I'm now fully vaccinated. Yes, fully, because according to the guy at the health department, the CDC is seeing very good results with a single dose of this vaccine and will no longer be scheduling second doses due to scarcity issues.

I was told this as well.

landing43

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2022
it is spread by close or intimate contact,

Since I'm married then it means I'm completly safe from it, woho!!

« Could everyone please stop having sex? »

This is mostly sexhaver disease yeah? Most of Era should be safe then including myself
Exhibits of the result of the CDC's and the media's portrayal of monkeypox as if it's an STD.

The CDC is downright irresponsible. DOWNRIGHT
Yep, just look at twitter. Right now groomers is trending and what's the first thing you see when you click on it?

unknown.png

You can see the responses from people to the article here, it's all gay panic.

Amazing job from the CDC, really seems like the liberal government is handling emerging pandemics completely different than the last admin 🙄What can you expect from the same guy who handled the AIDs epidemic?

Just yikes all around. The arrival of monkeypox as well as the "Groomer" discourse in the US and the continuing irresponsibility of the CDC I mean, it's all a mess. What's left to say?

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like it could be important.
We identified widespread surface contamination (66 positive out of 73 samples) in occupied patient rooms (MPXV DNA Ct values 24·7-38·6), on healthcare worker personal protective equipment after use, and in doffing areas (Ct 26·3-34·3). Five out of fifteen air samples taken were positive. Significantly, three of four air samples collected during a bed linen change in one patient's room were positive (Ct 32·7-35·8). Replication-competent virus was identified in two of four samples selected for viral isolation, including from air samples collected during the bed linen change.
Detection of MPXV DNA in air samples collected at distances of greater than 1·5m from the patient and at a height of nearly 2m supports the theory that MPXV can be present in either aerosols, suspended skin particles or dust containing virus, and not only in large respiratory droplets that fall to the ground within 1 to 1·5m of an infected individual. Low flow-rate wearable button samplers provided negative samples but were only deployed for under ten minutes, which may be an insufficient sampling time (<40L of air sampled). Our findings support recommendations for healthcare workers interacting with patients with confirmed MPXV infection to use suitable PPE, including respiratory protective equipment, as well as other IPC measures designed to limit exposure to pathogens that may become aerosolised in hospital inpatient settings.
www.medrxiv.org

Air and surface sampling for monkeypox virus in UK hospitals

Background An unprecedented outbreak of monkeypox virus (MPXV) infections in non-endemic countries has been recognised since 12 May 2022. More than 6000 cases have been identified globally with more than 1500 in the UK by July 2022. Transmission of MPXV is believed to be predominantly through...

landing43

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2022

landing43

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2022

How difficult is it to get the vaccine in the US?
Or anywhere else for that matter?
Whether MSM or not?

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
The coverage is really reminding me of the AIDS coverage in the US in the 80s, and that isn't good. It's not as bad as the Larry Speakes conferences, but the rush to/promotion of a conclusion that the vector is all just "gay people doing gay things" is really disconcerting and it ignores history that many of these jackasses lived through.

landing43

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2022
The coverage is really reminding me of the AIDS coverage in the US in the 80s, and that isn't good. It's not as bad as the Larry Speakes conferences, but the rush to/promotion of a conclusion that the vector is all just "gay people doing gay things" is really disconcerting and it ignores history that many of these jackasses lived through.
And with the prevalence of the groomer discourse among the right, yikes things are gonna get worse.

Oct 27, 2017
Whether MSM or not?
I believe there are some states that have a lot more doses but currently it's pretty limited around the world. There's many countries with no vaccines at all (though, with a very small amount of cases as well; i.e. Latin American countries at the moment). Some European countries (like France) have big queues of people waiting for their vaccine.

I would suggest that, unless you're the targeted populations at the moment (i.e. MSM with multiple sex partners), wait until further information and/or the availability is more widespread. Like, I get people are being scared about this, but I read someone posted here they got the vaccine despite not being sexually active at the moment but worried about getting it at work. Currently, studies* are showing the pox is transmitted primarily through sex (95%) and mainly between MSM. So, yeah, there's always a chance you might get it at work, but it'll probably not be the case. Even worse, since vaccines are so limited at the moment, someone who isn't likely to get monkey pox might use up the space of someone that actually needs it (and they might, unknowingly, infect someone else). Just a friendly PSA.

* NEJM study

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I believe there are some states that have a lot more doses but currently it's pretty limited around the world. There's many countries with no vaccines at all (though, with a very small amount of cases as well; i.e. Latin American countries at the moment). Some European countries (like France) have big queues of people waiting for their vaccine.

I would suggest that, unless you're the targeted populations at the moment (i.e. MSM with multiple sex partners), wait until further information and/or the availability is more widespread. Like, I get people are being scared about this, but I read someone posted here they got the vaccine despite not being sexually active at the moment but worried about getting it at work. Currently, studies* are showing the pox is transmitted primarily through sex (95%) and mainly between MSM. So, yeah, there's always a chance you might get it at work, but it'll probably not be the case. Even worse, since vaccines are so limited at the moment, someone who isn't likely to get monkey pox might use up the space of someone that actually needs it (and they might, unknowingly, infect someone else). Just a friendly PSA.

* NEJM study

Hello. That person was me.

I'm not worried about getting it at work. I was merely acknowledging that, via the nature of my job, which I have not disclosed in this thread, direct and physical contact is not unusual.

More to the point, I was contacted by my city's health department as a candidate for the vaccine because I qualify under multiple high risk factors.

Oct 27, 2017
Hello. That person was me.

I'm not worried about getting it at work. I was merely acknowledging that, via the nature of my job, which I have not disclosed in this thread, direct and physical contact is not unusual.

More to the point, I was contacted by my city's health department as a candidate for the vaccine because I qualify under multiple high risk factors.
Great. My PSA still stands for other people, then.

landing43

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2022

* NEJM study
But it's not a disease spread through sex, anyone can catch it through contact

Seems like it could be important.

www.medrxiv.org

Air and surface sampling for monkeypox virus in UK hospitals

Background An unprecedented outbreak of monkeypox virus (MPXV) infections in non-endemic countries has been recognised since 12 May 2022. More than 6000 cases have been identified globally with more than 1500 in the UK by July 2022. Transmission of MPXV is believed to be predominantly through...
So it looks like it mostly spreads from close quarters? They do not mention that it can spread in air particles like COVID via coughing, sneezing etc. Also looks like it wont be transmissible by merely touching objects, unless that object came in direct contact with rash?

Yeah you're right the message is confusing. They should tell people clearly what to do in order to avoid it. Oh well, I have been back to masking and being a hand sanitizer fiend since BA.5 popped up so hopefully that's enough.

Oct 27, 2017
But it's not a disease spread through sex, anyone can catch it through contact
You can, didn't say you couldn't. I'm pointing at the fact that 95% of cases were transmitted through sex (not because monkey pox is an STI but because of close, intimate and long exposure/contact). Which is why vaccines are currently targeted at MSM with multiple sex partners/sex workers/people who have been in close contact with people infected with monkey pox.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
Got a text message yesterday saying I could get the vaccine in London today. Turn up and there was a three hour queue, they said they were overwhelmed by the response and they had to turn me away. He said until now they've normally sent out about 1000 invites per day and maybe 300 turn up but because of the WHO announcement yesterday a far higher number have turned up and they can't satisfy the demand. What a nightmare.

landing43

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2022
You can, didn't say you couldn't. I'm pointing at the fact that 95% of cases were transmitted through sex (not because monkey pox is an STI but because of close, intimate and long exposure/contact). Which is why vaccines are currently targeted at MSM with multiple sex partners/sex workers/people who have been in close contact with people infected with monkey pox.
Though it's a case where the first cases happened to be from MSM, and I get why there's a categorization for " at risk" groups as those prioritized but at the same time, there's the fact that Gay people are being stigmatized by the CDC and the Media treating like this is a disease of gay people spread by sex, especially dangerous with the whole groomer wholabaloo by the right.
Way too late.

Also as stated in the thread, what the CDC director said on Monkeypox last Friday is stigmatizing and outright irresponsible, as shown here
FYTilPwVEAEmJLC

Oct 27, 2017
Though it's a case where the first cases happened to be from MSM, and I get why there's a categorization for " at risk" groups as those prioritized but at the same time, there's the fact that Gay people are being stigmatized by the CDC and the Media treating like this is a disease of gay people spread by sex, especially dangerous with the whole groomer wholabaloo by the right.
I mean, I agree. I'm not trying to frame it like that, either. The science is pretty clear in that anyone can be infected, no matter your sexual orientation or age. But I also think that, because those populations are more affected by monkey pox, it's clear to me that they should be a priority. This doesn't mean that if you're not one of those targeted populations you won't get monkey pox, but rather, that because it's currently more prevalent at those communities, public health efforts should be targeted there to help them and ensure they're vaccinated soon (and sooner than the rest, as the evidence is showing they're more likely to get exposed).

The vaccine scenario around the world with regards to monkey pox is worrying, as there's clearly not enough vaccines for everyone. If anyone gets to vaccinate just as soon as they want, you might be neglecting the communities that are more exposed.

Small edit: I also agree in that the way monkey pox information is communicated needs to improve, for sure. Otherwise, it could happen (I'm sure it's already happening) that people who are straight or cis might think - "hey, I'm not one of those populations, I'll be alright". It's also what happened with AIDS or PrEP, even.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
This strain is very mild. The vast majority of people are experiencing fever, open sores, aches, etc.

More mild than the chicken pox even.
That's absolutely NOT what I read from people in france who have monkey pox actually.

The sores can be extremely painful, and some experience high fever and stop eating because going to the toilet becomes a torture. It's like hémorroïds on steroids.

Also you have to isolate yourself for a few weeks while you are contagious which can be very problematic for work etc…

And the virus transmission is airborne too, even if less contagious than the latest covid strains.

That's not what I call « mild »

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Whether MSM or not?

I posted an update further down the thread. I got it yesterday, the same day I started inquiring. I had to do a bit of legwork and be ready to fly out the door when the call came in but I got it. Nbd.

I was also told the vaccine is readily available in my city if you know where to go and what to say. I would encourage anyone in a high-risk category in the US to seek it out. I don't think it's hard to get in major metros if you qualify. You just have to make the calls - local health departments, infectious disease departments, LGBT+ clinics, your primary care doc, etc.

Also note vaccine availability has effectively doubled as of this weekend as the CDC has changed the regime to one shot, no booster.

edit: to your last question I cannot speak to that. When I was vaccinated yesterday, everyone there was a queer man, and what was communicated to us was that the city health department is focusing its efforts on protecting our communities and stopping the spread within them, which is, frankly, in everyone's best interest at this stage.

Last edited:

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
This strain is very mild. The vast majority of people are experiencing fever, open sores, aches, etc.

More mild than the chicken pox even.

The biggest concern right now is having enough of that vaccine available.

Anyone in close contact to you could spread it. You could get it from a hug, someone's spitle, an arm graze, etc.

The media and people here need to stop calling it mild. I have it right now. It is anything but mild.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I read your thread. I feel so awful for you. It sounds immensely uncomfortable and painful. Hope you're on the mend.

I feel a little better today than yesterday. The sores are beginning to dry a little but not scab yet. Probably looking like another week or so for some semblance of normalcy again. Going to beg the doctor to try and get me on TPOXX tomorrow

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I feel a little better today than yesterday. The sores are beginning to dry a little but not scab yet. Probably looking like another week or so for some semblance of normalcy again. Going to beg the doctor to try and get me on TPOXX tomorrow

It sounds like they've made it easier for doctors to utilize TPOXX in some way, so fingers crossed here for you that you get some help and relief!!

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
There's no way it would be this easy to spread and only be 18K cases and 90% LGBT.
Unless gay men are solely interacting with gay men.

Not saying it's spreading easy, but there are examples of where MSM (men having sex with men) wasn't even happening. Spreading can be done through more than just intimate contact. It's already confirmed that it can linger on fabrics, and if you happen to use the same fabric (ie. a towel to dry your hands) you have an elevated chance of getting it under certain circumstances.

According to the Dutch government:
Very occasionally, the virus is also transmitted through unprotected contact with contaminated materials (such as bedding). The virus can enter the body through the mucous membranes or through tiny wounds or tears in the skin. The virus can also spread via droplets of fluid from the blisters or from the mouth and nose, although this risk is currently considered low.

You may already be contagious before developing any visible symptoms. Some people develop flu-like symptoms or a skin rash before the blisters appear. Blisters may also form in less visible locations, such as in your mouth or inside the rectum, where they may resemble ulcers. The scabs from the blisters can also transmit the virus.

I am cishet, but even I can see the dangers if people aren't taking precautions against it on time. A virus doesn't discriminate if you are gay or not, that's just not how it works. It's not a "gay disease". Same as HIV or AIDS never were, but the media loves to scapegoat to gay people.

All I am saying is that people have to be aware of the virus, whether you're gay or not.

Speaking of the Dutch government: Netherlands begins vaccination against monkeypox

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Any country that has a culture of kissing someone goodbye or hello on the cheeks could spread more easily?

Doesn't have to be gay guys.

Also what about having communion at church? Isn't there touching during that?
I know that at least with in the evangelical churches in my city have transitioned to these little cups that are sealed with the grape juice and a sealed flap up top for a wafer

kingslunk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Way too late.

Also as stated in the thread, what the CDC director said on Monkeypox last Friday is stigmatizing and outright irresponsible, as shown here
FYTilPwVEAEmJLC

Walensky fucking sucks at her job. She sucks at the Covid response and she's going to fucking suck at monkey pox. She's an embarrassment to the field of science and medicine. She's failing America with her obvious capitalist political bullshit