• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Piranha Bytes, end of thread.

What separates Gothic 1 and 2 from every other open world I've played is Piranha Bytes commitment for every interaction and interface to be grounded in this world they've created. To me, the theme of the genre vs a more linear game is to provide an immersive experience in a place that feels lived in and real and Gothic's design is simply ahead of the curve even to this day.

Last edited:

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
The only game that literally made me just stop and admire stuff way off in the distance and try so hard to get to them was XCX. That game blew me away unlike anything since then. The scale and sheer size of the world was insane.

RDR2 would be a close second. Nothing else close to these two for me.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Crackdown, BotW, and Morrowind. Both have worlds that are fun to explore for different reasons and the exploration justifies their open worlds.

Crackdown- non-linear, boss locations are only revealed when you go near the areas, bosses can be done in any order. Green and blue orbs are fun to look for and have tangible benefits for finding (better skills).

BotW- Tagging things on the map, so many secrets to discover, and finding shrines being a huge part of the experience.

Morrowind- tons of quests around the world, world feels bigger than it is because of how much there is to do.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Bethesda with Skyrim

RGG with Yakuza

Insomniac with Sunset Overdrive

Guerilla with Horizon

Nintendo with BOTW

Rockstar with RDR2

Those are the ones that jump to mind. Skyrim my favorite of the lot.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Bethesda's take on open world games when its done well. Morrowind, Oblivion and New Vegas are much much better than any modern open world. I really hope Bethesda gets it together with Starfield.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
HZD has come closest for me.
Nigh perfect blend of exploration, combat, gameplay and story.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza and RDR2 are at the top for me. Both worlds are full of top level stories and engaging side activities. Sure Witcher 3 sorta fits those criteria too but I don't like gwent that much and so many side quests are pretty throwaway.

Tsushima below those, Valhalla below that. Chill games but not on the top level.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
as someone who doesn't actually love RDR2 all that much, I do actually think RDR2 wins in this specific department. this comes with massive caveats of course, considering rockstar achieved it by grinding hundreds of people into bone dust. as a game though, RDR2 does do a lot of things that i really appreciate in open world design and does them extremely well:

-sense of scale and space. the world in RDR2 feels huge. part of that is the wide open spaces, but actually i think the thing that really sells it is...

-...incredible detail in small settings. a big empty world is one thing, but a big world where even tiny copses of trees, swamps, building interiors, etc also feel richly detailed makes the sense of scale feel that much more enormous. the idea that you could go anywhere in this huge world and find things just as detailed as the tiny things in front of you really adds to the scope.

-actual stuff to find. NPCs, quests, items, wildlife, weird shit, tiny little details for history nerds. the game is full of this.

-the ability to fuck around. this is a rockstar thing in general but the NPC routines, the basic social system, and the physics mean that it's a world that's a lot of fun to cause chaos in if you want to. and if you don't, you'll still see plenty of cool stuff in the game's combat situations.

now it sounds like i'm heaping praise on the game here but honestly i came away from RDR2 feeling pretty cold, mostly because the story missions and mission structure were completely at odds with all of this stuff and felt like they were trying to funnel you through a cinematic, scripted adventure. which sucks.

my runner-up mention here is Asscreed Origins, which is an unbelievably dense and detailed world that's exciting to explore imo.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Rockstar open-world games that thoroughly -- I've really only finished GTAIV, GTAV, and Red Dead 1 to the end of their story modes, and honestly they have way too many flaws from what I can see. Rockstar definitely makes some of the best worlds in video games -- they nail the atmosphere and feel really good to just inhabit, but I feel like there isn't enough really interesting stuff to do in those worlds, and the story missions don't leverage the sandbox gameplay well. It's weird that Rockstar story missions are trying to be Naughty Dog when what they're best at is the total opposite of Naughty Dog. Oh, and GTAV is the only Rockstar game I've played that feels kinda not awful with a controller.

I guess my favorite two open-world games, at least in the last few years, are Breath of the Wild and MGSV, which both feel like true successors to what Far Cry 2 was trying to do. Lots of interacting systems to play around with, main locations that are interestingly designed and give you a lot of freedom for how to infiltrate them. In the case of MGSV and FC2 the main story missions just give you an objective and let you handle it however you want, and I never understood why later Far Cry games went for more linear missions. Even MGSV's linear missions are more wide-linear.

I've heard a lot about the Gothic games and how they inspired Witcher 3's design. I just haven't gotten around to them yet. I think one of them is in my Steam backlog already.

STALKER is another underrated one. It solves a lot of the problems other open-world games have. You can explore this world with AI systems interacting with each other that almost no other games do, Shadow of Chernobyl combines that with really well-designed linear action set pieces. The combat is a bit like a tactical shooter but the item management and storytelling feel more like an RPG. Really, talking to NPCs is an underrated mechanic that shouldn't be confined to RPGs.

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Breath of the Wild.

Other than all the other games mentioned here, BotW is the only title that does not build on any existing formula and continues it. It doesn't even put any formula or structure at the center of the game, but the world itself. Every aspect of the gameplay is connected to it, the whole game seems like it was invented with that world and nothing else in mind.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised and not surprised (because as a gacha it is often looked down upon) that no one but me is going to mention Genshin Impact in here.
What makes me truly enjoy my time in an open world and leads me to fully immerse myself are these 4 points:

1) It has to be visually beautiful and interesting
2) It has to be freely and fun to traverse and explore
3) It has to have lots of things to do and interact with
4) It has to have meaning and depth (story and lore) behind it

Of the 5 best open world games that I played (BotW, XC2, Witcher 3, RDR2, Genshin) Genshin combines these 4 points in my opinion the best.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Mad Max. It's classic but that was the perfect balance of action, exploration, and chill tasks to do. More than the sums of it's parts. I wish it got a 60fps pS5 patch, I would 100% it again.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Breath of the wild cause you can literally go anywhere and climb walls and mountains like a jackass and feel like you are in an actual place.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 honestly stands up as one of the most impressive things every created by humans imo.The fidelity is still just jaw-droppingly insane.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
BOTW but it needs more variety. The complete ease of access and freedom is phenomenal, though.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is the only game where I enjoyed roaming the open world. In every other game I abuse fast travel to avoid the barren wastelands.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I've just started playing Skyrim again and I have to say - I LOVE the worlds that Bethesda create. Just ambling around them is fantastic.

Unfortunately, my issue, on going back to the game, is the ceaseless resource management, constant trekking back to a city to unload "stuff", the clutter of the inventory to craft this and craft that, dumping things in cupboards in a house. Horribly claustrophobic.

Also, the worst part of the game are the missions, which is pretty ironic. I stumbled upon a place where I suddenly found myself thrust into the middle of some thing around The Butcher. Quite by accident, I went to a house where apparently this butcher had stored all their notes, then a lady I spoke to nearby pointed the finger to someone in the castle and that was that. Really anticlimatic.

The other thing is getting absolutely bogged down. Got 15 minutes to play? Enjoy logging on and achieving absolutely nothing then. Maybe you can briefly walk around a town. Or empty out your pockets somewhere. Or have one very long tedious conversation.

If the game could centre more around allowing you to be out in the world and enjoy it, make the missions less like moving through a check list, I'd definitely like it more.

Which then brings me onto the game that does it right, which is BOTW.

No need to be concerned with inventory management - weapons are not unique and are disposable, so nonsense like repairing/crafting/enchanting and all that stuff is gone, allowing you to be free an enjoy the world. Which is absolutely fantastic and degradation should be here to stay and not changed for the next game.

Side missions feel absolutely optional compared to the main objective of the game - experience the world. What missions you have are not centred around finding a door to somewhere underground to bump around for 45 minutes, you're outside in the open, which is a genius decision to abandon traditional Zelda dungeons, which should not return to the series now.

And the game is respectful of time - there is always something to achieve, no matter if I only have 10 minutes to spare. Could be a korok, could be a basic shrine, could be a shrine quest - always something just about right for what I have availble to do.

Such a chill game, I never feel like I have to mentally prepare to plough through some busy work, or be concerned that I'll only be able to 1/3 complete some gate the game has thrown up at me which I must pass in order to progress.

YawZah

Oct 30, 2017
Piranha Bytes, end of thread.

What separates Gothic 1 and 2 from every other open world I've played is Piranha Bytes commitment for every interaction and interface to be grounded in this world they've created. To me, the theme of the genre vs a more linear game is to provide an immersive experience in a place that feels lived in and real and Gothic's design is simply ahead of the curve even to this day.

Totally agree. Gothic 1 and 2 are in my opinion unrivalled even to this day. They were so far ahead of their time it's crazy to think about.

The video is really great too!

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
RDR2 is the pinnacle of open-world gaming for sure. BOTW is good but the world doesn't feel as alive as RDR2 makes its world feel.

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 imo and it's not even close. It's almost more of a sim than an open world game. An insane achievement.

Breath of the WIld has the potential for sure but after a few hours most of the exploration gets repetitive. Breath of the Wilds freedom is it's own biggest flaw here. Most of the time you'll find nothing of note for exploring outside of the 900th seed to find or a copy/paste camp with the exact same enemies. Fighting against the enemies to get a new weapon or some arrows as a reward. Just after you used arrows or destroyed some of your weapons to defeat the enemies in the camp...

If you would find way more stories/side quests/side activities/etc. it would work better.

I have high hopes for BotW 2 in this regard. I see BotW more as a first try to see what sticks to the wall and what needs refinement. Now Nintendo knows what worked and what didn't.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Morrowind.

No other game ever came close. Special mentions to RDR2, BOTW and Skyrim though.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
RDR2 feels like a world that actual people live in, not just a jungle gym you can climb all over. It has just the right amount of dynamic "stuff" happening in it to make things feel alive, without becoming repetitive and destroying the illusion.

There's also still just something about Bethesda's open worlds - wandering Skyrim and coming across random caves or fortresses, only to stumble upon some self contained mission or story to be told of what happened there. That obviously comes with lots of their trademark jank and occasiolnal frustration, but I inevitably always spend hundreds of hours in Bethesda's worlds in the end.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
For "traditional" modern AAA world design, I would say Horizon: Zero Dawn. It takes all the classic open world tropes, like tower viewpoints unlocking sections of the map, collectibles, lengthy side missions, and makes them incredibly entertaining by tying everything into the world. For me it's the most refined game of its type and I can't wait for the sequel.

Other examples that are technically open world are as follows:
  • Fallout: New Vegas - You are a lot more restricted in what you can do from the get go compared with other Bethesda games, but everything makes sense within the context of the world and the writing / side quests are absolutely sublime.
  • Baldur's Gate II - You can't walk more than three steps in this game without stumbling on to a campaign-length side quest. It's honestly a little bit overwhelming, and I don't think any game has surpassed it in terms of meaningful side content. Anyone that has enjoyed Witcher 3 for its side quests owes it to themselves to play through this one.
  • Gothic - As others have mentioned, the worlds in this series are a little bit smaller than you typical AAA RPG but make up for it in absolutely insane density and detail.
I would also mention the hubs in Deus Ex (Hong Kong being the best example) but I think calling that an open world is a bit of a stretch.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Gothic 1 and 2, and Risen 1 (Piranha Bytes)
2. Morrowind (Bethesda)
3. GTA series (Rockstar North)

Shoutout to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series and to FarCry 3.

Crysis and Halo aren't really open-world but they are the finest among the semi-open games (at least some of their levels)

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
It's undeniably RDR2 disregarding gameplay. Many games will beat it when you include gameplay but that's not an Open World Formula.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Morrowind and Red Dead 2.

Morrwind because the journey and exploration where a part of the experience. You had to talk to people, read signs,fill in a map, and follow vague directions to get to where you wanted. You also had to learn to navigate water hazards, mountainous regions, and areas with high level enemies. There was no fast forward to the exciting stuff button because there wasn't much filler.

Red Dead 2 is the closest a game has come since and I applaud Rockstar for solving the issue of a continuous narrative in an open world game. By having a camp and an in world explanation for leaving it and doing side content everything made sense. I also love what most people hated in that the main missions where linear. That's the way to do it! Because they were linear they could be hand crafted rather than a big open area with no encounter design because the players can approach from any angle.

Breath of the Wild and MGSV were impressive as sandbox experiences, but for me they're like a box of LEGO with no instructions. Some people can entertain themselves for hours with the near infinite possibilities that the gameplay affords, but ultimately I need some sort of guidance and structure. I need to know I'm working towards some sort of goal.