• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I pump:

• Regular

Votes: 300 50.8%
  • Mid-Range

Votes: 18 3.1%
  • Premium

Votes: 200 33.9%
  • Diesel

Votes: 15 2.5%
  • Hydrogen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Electricity

Votes: 20 3.4%
  • Thor: The Dark Gazoline

Votes: 37 6.3%

• Total voters

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Every time I have to go get petrol I ask myself who pays an up-charge to get higher octane gas?
It must be enough people to make it worth offering all the infrastructure to make, transport and sell the different grades...?

On a technical level I am aware of the differences, but it still has never seemed necessary to me...?

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Cedrtain cars require it, like Smart cars. There's no use putting it in one that doesn't.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
There are many cars that require it. Or it'll step down the power if it detects lower octane fuel. My Subaru doesn't need it but we also have a new Mustang and it does.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
My old GTI required it, but I sold it a few years ago. Now my pickup truck takes regular and my car is electric.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
LlU4qVpo9H81SypujndA6NWehxU=.gif

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
certain engines need premium op. science and all that. you also cant switch over to a different kind of gas in car otherwise itll cause engine damage long term

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I do. My car will run on lower grade stuff, but is geared towards higher tier stuff. Car runs far more efficiently on it.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
On a technical level I am aware of the differences, but it still has never seemed necessary to me...?

Are you sure that you're aware of the differences? Some engines can't run on lower octane. That said there's no point to using premium for, say, a Corolla. My motorcycle's engine is high compression and requires premium, my car does not.

Crazed

Oct 25, 2017
My fun/weekend car requires it, my daily car doesn't. Helps that my fun car though as a small tank but gets decent gas mileage, so filling up with it every couple weeks in the summer isn't bad on the wallet.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
There are lots of (typically older) vehicles with high compression ratios and (typically newer) vehicles with force induction systems like super chargers or turbo chargers that require higher octane fuel.

My Challenger Hellcat required 91 minimum.

My current Wrangler is fine with "regular" 87 or higher - but lots of cars I'm considering next will need higher octane again.

A lot of motorcycles need higher octane - mine in college did.

OP - to be clear, there is NO benefit to using higher octane fuel on any modern car that does not explicitly say it needs it.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
My car requires it, so that's why I buy it

What a weird thread

Last edited:

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
My dad's cars always required premium gas.

My broke ass only ever personally owned a Hyundai, and I put regular in that shit, lol.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
As a British person, I've always been confused by American petrol grades. What octane constitutes premium vs. regular?

For context, UK pumps sell two grades of petrol: E5 and E10, with the number denoting what percentage of bio-ethanol they contain in their mix. The octane numbers are something like 95 for the E10 petrol, and 98 for the E5, so the E5 is badged and priced as "premium" over here.

My car can take both, so I just put the E10 in because it's cheaper.

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
Here's a fun one, my 06' Jetta with the basic ass 5 cylinder is designed for 87 and will kick on a check engine light if I run anything but 91. The quirks of an aging motor.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Many cars require premium fuel, but you can get away with lower octane cause the cars computer compensates for 'bad gas' etc to prevent malfunctions. That said I wouldn't recommend it.

Ant78

Oct 27, 2017
When I had my WRX's and G35 Coupe they all required premium. You'll find most performance oriented cars will require premium fuel where most normal cars are designed to run on regular.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
If your engine wants higher octane but you use lower octane it can damage your engine. Engines have to work o a specific cycle, fuel/air is injected to the cylinder, cylinder compresses, spark plug ignites it. If the octane is too low for the engine, the fuel can be ignited by just the heat generated from compressing the fuel instead of getting ignited by the spark plug.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
You only use premium if your engine asks for it. There is enough detergents in modern day Regular that most vehicles are fine using that.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Anyone with a BMW, Audi, etc. My wife drives a Mini Cooper and it requires it.

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
I had an Acura that required it. I started out buying regular and adding a bottle of octane booster from the dollar store. Worked great. I eventually stopped doing that and just putting in regular gas. Never had a problem.