• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
When I do play online (rarely) or do couch versu, one if my favourite ways to take down an overly cocky person is to pick a joke character and use them to win.

One of my favourite's is Dan from the Street Fighter series, it's tricky with his skill set, but a lot players rage quit after losing to him. Which to be honest just makes it all the more fun.

I also enjoy similar things on racing games, nothing better than trouncing a super car while driving a hatchback.

Who are your favourite joke characters, ERA?

Last edited:

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
one if my favourite ways to take fish an overly cocky person is to lick a joke character

giphy.gif

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
I use Duck hunt when i want to piss of a rival.
Funny thing, i play it very well and i had a great showoff in a pro tournament. Not that i won any match-up, but i won a match of a set of three

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Dan. He was fun to play in Street Fighter 4 because, while not the greatest, he was actually completely useable and had some great pressure options.

Champy99

Jul 14, 2020
Players in Heroes of the Storm HATED when I would pick Probius, the Starcraft probe hero. Theres nothing really wrong with him, he just was an unfortunate Blizzcon announcement when everyone expected someone "cool." Then just zip around the map, beeping happily as I set up pylons and warp fields and soak lanes to victory

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
BBAMegaMan-Banner-800x445.jpg

I never played the game, but always thought this was a very funny idea. And I do understand why so many Mega Man fans raised a stink about it: I'm a fan of Mega Man games, too. I still saw this in a very positive light.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Gon in Tekken 3. Best ending and I used to cheese the shit out of his tail spin when playing my little brother.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Eric Bischoff in WCW/NWO revenge, dude has his own style of gameplay with his martial art striking skills replacing the standard grappling system and to me that's still so damn wild, AKI went all in on this.

Wrestling games are pretty fun with this in general, whether it's non wrestlers being playable with some crap stats such as managers like Paul Bearer or commentators like Jim Ross, or even just bizarre concepts like one of the SD vs Raw games letting you unlock the red and green mannequins from the create a wrestler move demonstrations

tumblr_pvfq2ngsii1s3uawvo1_400.gifv

Ohhhh yeeees

Not exactly a character, but... Scarab, on Rocket League.

latest
Wait, using this is considered some kind of flex troll move? This was the only DLC set I ever got because I liked this dopey thing in the original game

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Shingo Yabuki from King of Fighters. Dude doesn't even get a sound effect when he does his super move, has to make it himself with his voice. "Bahkiiiiingggg!"

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Agreed on Dan from Street Fighter. I've enjoyed playing as him since I first played Street Fighter Alpha 2 on SNES. He's a fun character to use against friends who are at similar skill levels. Also, perhaps this says more for the A.I. in the SNES version of Street Fighter Alpha 2, but I was once able to pull off his Super Taunt without getting hit by the CPU-controller character.

I also have to mention Sakura, as it's pretty clear that she's supposed to be a reference to a LOT of SNK characters, and she holds a similar place in my heart in that she's fun to play as when playing against friends of similar skill levels. I don't consider her to be nearly as bad as Dan in Street Fighter Alpha 2, of course, but it was always more about finishing people off with a Flower Kick to sort of rub the victory in. I know it's intended to throw people off, but I always considered it to be such a strange attack to get hit with back then, due to how slow it is.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
If it's a troll character then its Goblin Techies from Dota 2. Few other heroes are as infuriating to play against

Oct 25, 2017
BBAMegaMan-Banner-800x445.jpg

I never played the game, but always thought this was a very funny idea. And I do understand why so many Mega Man fans raised a stink about it: I'm a fan of Mega Man games, too. I still saw this in a very positive light.

I also never played X Tekken but I thought this was hilarious and a good homage to the awful NA boxart of Megaman.

But people hated this. It's probably the best thing about X Tekken in hindsight

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Monkey from Timesplitters. Just run around shooting people in the legs is fun

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I hate joke characters as a concept. It's always one dimensional and it's made worse by what passes for video game "comedy" being so weak and uninspired.

Dan is dope tho because Capcom beefing with SNK is hip-hop.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Dan has been my main in Street Fighter (alongside Cody) for well over twenty years now. It is Dan. It was always Dan.

For the record, I also thought making a Mega Man that was based on the terrible boxart from the American version of the NES boxart was an absolutely hilarious idea.

Don from Way of the Samurai was also a bit of a joke character, but I liked him because he reminded me of Jim Kelly (who was a complete badass and played my favorite character in Enter the Dragon).

Bovine

Oct 29, 2017
Jigglypuff in Super Smash Bros (pretty sure she counts outside of Melee). It is super satisfying when you hit a rest on somebody.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
dux.png

It was really satisfying to support Farfetch'd from the start and see it grow from a troll character to a badass knight.

RE2-Tofu-720x405.png

Tofu in Resident Evil 2.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dan "The Man" Hibiki
Waluigi
Bad Box Art Mega Man
Baby Crash and Baby Coco in Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled

I actually don't consider anyone in Smash Bros to be a joke character, since none of their inclusions are really meant as jokes. But I love them all anyway.

Wrestling games are pretty fun with this in general, whether it's non wrestlers being playable with some crap stats such as managers like Paul Bearer or commentators like Jim Ross, or even just bizarre concepts like one of the SD vs Raw games letting you unlock the red and green mannequins from the create a wrestler move demonstrations

tumblr_pvfq2ngsii1s3uawvo1_400.gifv

Ohhhh yeeees
I'M HOWARD FINKEL!

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Reading the title my first thought was, "how many joke characters are actually funny?" outside of games that are dedicated to comedy like Portal or Psychonauts? Even those that are funny do tend to run the joke into the ground (e.g., Larry in Ace Attorney).

Dan and Wii Fit Trainer are good answers. Pokémon is also actually pretty good at this, Alolan Exeggutor being a good recent example.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I also never played X Tekken but I thought this was hilarious and a good homage to the awful NA boxart of Megaman.

It was just timing. If two Megaman games didn't get cancelled right before that people would have enjoyed it back then like they do now.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017

I bet a lot of it was just timing.
I think it's hilarious now, but back then Capcom seemed intent on burying the Mega Man IP.