• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I could say Vaan was a lucky bastard that could hang-out with a Princess, Sky Pirates, ex-General, etc, and goes on a full adventure with them.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
He's a ghost or someshit
He's a summon. An artificial being created by the faythe.

But he's not a chosen one, not holding a secret superpower or anything, not secretly linked to some ancient blood or entity or something like that. He's just a military student.
What? He's fated to be the chosen one because of the time loop. He went back in time and told Edea and Cid about the future and they groomed his past self to become his future self. He created Garden.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Definitely Vaan, he's just along for the ride.
I thought that was pretty refreshing actually, but I'm glad it's not the norm either.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
Butz and FFXI main character. It's insane how much of a nobody you are treated as.in FFXI given all the things you go through. Only time I felt special was on Blue Mage job quest with it's literal red pill, blue pill "wake up" choice it gives you.
I haven't played much after A realm reborn but I remember in the original FFXIV the MC was so special they could hop in people's memories and interact. Story was so bonkers. Don't remember much of that in ARR. Did they bring back that part of the power in the expansions?
Yes. The powers of the MC (The Echo, which is bestowed by the mother crystal Hydaelyn) are fleshed out in later FF14 expansions (there is an Inception type sequence in latest patch with a certain sleeping character) and the true nature of the world and the enemy are slowly revealed.

Different people are granted the powers of The Echo, but they all manifest differently in each individual. The MC in FF14 is currently beyond that previously established power level. I won't mention it here since it's a spoiler, but it's beyond any other FF protagonist or villain. It's an easy comparison to make because some of the most recognizable villains in the Final Fantasy series have been defeated in FF14.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I would say Cloud was less special than Vaan. Vaan has a connection to the conspiracy because his brother was stabbed and killed. Cloud has no connection to anyone, just a kid from Nibelheim who joined Shinra's army.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
People got it all wrong. Vaan is the most special in the sense that he is the least special protagonist ever.

Yunsar

Oct 27, 2017
I would say Cloud was less special than Vaan. Vaan has a connection to the conspiracy because his brother was stabbed and killed. Cloud has no connection to anyone, just a kid from Nibelheim who joined Shinra's army.

Cloud befriended Zach, he was present during the Nibelheim incident, directly confronted Sephiroth, and became Hojo's test subjects for four years. How is he not special?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Cloud befriended Zach, he was present during the Nibelheim incident, directly confronted Sephiroth, and became Hojo's test subjects for four years. How is he not special?
When I think of 'special' I think of destiny or pre-emptive conditions. Cloud chooses to join Shinra's army, and one thing led to another. When Vaan meets Basch, the knight of the queen, he knew his brother and helps him along the path of revenge, there's a pre-emptive condition. Cloud had more choice in comparison, in a way, which makes his origin less special.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

His brother was a random soldier killed in a war I don't think that's anywhere near special.

And through the progression of the game, Cloud became more important to the story while Vaan is pretty much the same.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
His brother was a random soldier killed in a war I don't think that's anywhere near special.

And through the progression of the game, Cloud became more important to the story while Vaan is pretty much the same.
I would still say that make him more special, in comparison to Cloud, who had to establish a connection to Shinra and Zack, by joining their army. Vaan, already had a direct connection, before he could make a choice, because of Basch and Gabranth, and to Vayne who ordered his brother to be killed.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Vaan is the right answer

Im no FF13 lore expert but wernt the cast of 13 basically regular people too? Like Lightning was just a regular soldier before she became a l'cie. There was nothing speical about them and their power/destiny just came because the Gods forced it onto them and weren't they not even special in that case because the gods did that to a lot of people?

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
IIRC Firion and friends were a bunch of war orphans and that's it. No training, no chosen, no illustrious parents, no nothing.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Vaan is the right answer

Im no FF13 lore expert but wernt the cast of 13 basically regular people too? Like Lightning was just a regular soldier before she became a l'cie. There was nothing speical about them and their power/destiny just came because the Gods forced it onto them and weren't they not even special in that case because the gods did that to a lot of people?
Lightning is a sergeant. Vanille and Fang have epic back stories. Snow is leader of a resistance.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Vaan doesn't do that much but I like him, he is a friend. Because he's basically just there to ease the player into the world. I also like him because he shows that the game's conflict directly impacts the common people, and it isn't just squabbles between royalty.

He's not my favorite character or anything but he is chill enough.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Everyone mentioning Vaan completely forgets his relation to Reks, and how that ties him to one of the major players of the war, and the King's assassination. He's special in that sense alone.

It's hard to see any FF protagonist who isn't special, maybe the onion kids from FFIII, since they weren't chosen ones before stumbling over the crystal. Any other mainline FF Protag is in some way still directly related to either the big bad or other important figures once the game begins. Arguably Firion may not be.

Tofd

Jul 8, 2018
Everyone mentioning Vaan completely forgets his relation to Reks, and how that ties him to one of the major players of the war, and the King's assassination. He's special in that sense alone.

It's hard to see any FF protagonist who isn't special, maybe the onion kids from FFIII, since they weren't chosen ones before stumbling over the crystal. Any other mainline FF Protag is in some way still directly related to either the big bad or other important figures once the game begins. Arguably Firion may not be.

Of course, they're the main characters. They're special by definition. But TC's asking for least special and it's gotta be either Vaan or Firion, no question.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Poor Vaan, always getting dismissed as a glorified errand boy. Yeah, to me Ashe is the one that carries the plot, but vaan is us!
So I'd say Zidane (aka Yitan for us european/spaniards), who was just blabbing all the time and had to be saved by eiko, dagger, vivi or steiner.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Vaan is the answer. Really nice, though. It's cool he's not meant to be this crazy scene-stealer and all-powerful. Tidus is like the opposite. That's why they're two of my faves.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Of course, they're the main characters. They're special by definition. But TC's asking for least special and it's gotta be either Vaan or Firion, no question.

That's the thing, though, Vaan isn't really less special because he's linked to the whole thing from the very beginning. You could argue that he has about as much of a reason to be there as Balthier and Fran do.

I'd say Firion and the Onion Kids really are the only ones that "least special" can work with.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Poor Vaan, always getting dismissed as a glorified errand boy. Yeah, to me Ashe is the one that carries the plot, but vaan is us!
So I'd say Zidane (aka Yitan for us european/spaniards), who was just blabbing all the time and had to be saved by eiko, dagger, vivi or steiner.

Zidane is in no way, at all, "less special", in fact he's one of the more special protags since he's absolutely irrevocably tied to the core plot of the game.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Zidane is in no way, at all, "less special", in fact he's one of the more special protags since he's absolutely irrevocably tied to the core plot of the game.
Yeah, he is. In a pretty nonsensical way, and with a lot of the worst anime tropes FF uses, but I guess you are right. My dislike for him gets the better of me...

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, he is. In a pretty nonsensical way, and with a lot of the worst anime tropes FF uses, but I guess you are right. My dislike for him gets the better of me...

There's nothing nonsensical about how Zidane s special. I don't really see any "anime tropes" there, that was FF8's thing. Zidane and the way he behaves during early game is entirely linked to the theme of the game, and the way he develops is absolutely meaningful.

If you wanna be down on characters for being womanizers and flirty, be down on Edgar and Locke, they didn't even grow from it.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that basically similar to how Cloud's village is massacred by the number one hero, resulting in a cover-up by the big bad company?

Then he becomes the only person - out of all the Nibelheim survivors who got experimented on - who manages to regain lucidity. Then said number one hero becomes obsessed with him specifically.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Vaan takes the cake.

Squall might actually be in second place. He's connected to an orphanage Edea ran but everything he has was partly due to luck and partly because he trained really hard for spite.

Tidus' existence is sort of wild actually.

Cloud was a classic mope with dormant potential and wandered into the right place with the right company at the right unfortunate time.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018

Zidane/Yitan is basically a weapon created to destroy an entire planet. How is that not special?

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Yea I'm joining the Vaan dogpile, sorry.

It was bad enough that he was a nobody and just "there" for basically the entire time, but it's worse than he's pretty much the same person from the beginning to the end. It's a shame since the world and backdrop are very interesting and Ashe, Basch and Balthier would all have made much more interesting MCs. There's so many different party members from the non playable races in the game (Seeqs, Bangaa, Moogles, Gria, Nu Mou ect) they could have put in but they stuck us with a couple of boring kids. Oh well.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
tidus was just a memory of a dream of a whim of a phantom of a promise of a jerk who was trapped in some limbo future-past hellscape

also he kicks a blitzball and his head blows off

dltqghxpoevioybnxamk.gif

Never thought I'd have seen a Rangers related gif on ResetEra. Every day has it's own unique surprises.

For the topic at hand - Cloud not being a special protagonist is a bit of a hot take. Not sure if you haven't played the original but he's heavily involved in the events which turn Sephiroth into what he's become and isn't just a guy who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Like many others in the thread, Vaan and Squall are prime choices.

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Yea I'm joining the Vaan dogpile, sorry.

It was bad enough that he was a nobody and just "there" for basically the entire time, but it's worse than he's pretty much the same person from the beginning to the end. It's a shame since the world and backdrop are very interesting and Ashe, Basch and Balthier would all have made much more interesting MCs. There's so many different party members from the non playable races in the game (Seeqs, Bangaa, Moogles, Gria, Nu Mou ect) they could have put in but they stuck us with a couple of boring kids. Oh well.

This I can't agree with, imo he has the biggest character arc in the game. I can't think of how Ashe and Balthier change from when they're introduced to the ending.

Makoto Yuki

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Vaan, was added just to appeal to the Japanese. It was originally suppose to be Basch as the main character, but he's too masculine for the targeted audience.

He is the least special by virtue of being the focus to appeal to weebs.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
This I can't agree with, imo he has the biggest character arc in the game. I can't think of how Ashe and Balthier change from when they're introduced to the ending.

Please remind me of what changed between him and the ending? I literally don't remember. Ashe had to deal with her dead husband, Vossler's betrayal, losing her entire kingdom and its legacy relics like the Dawn Shard (seriously half of the plot is carried by Ashe, most of the game is about her regaining her homeland and being crowned queen). And Basch is literally pretending to be his own brother and guard Larsa by the end! Balthier didn't need to change much because he openly stated that he was looking for treasure the whole time as an opportunist, this was another job for him (it helps that he actually had a personality going in so I'm giving him more of a pass than I would otherwise)

I mean, I guess Vaan did get an airship of his own finally, but that seemed realllly lame in comparison to pretty much everyone else. Him and Penelo were always an item so nothing changed there despite how "coy" they were about it (Penelo is quite the trooper for following Vaan across the continent while a war is going on all game waiting for him to notice her availability, thanks Penelo).

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Please remind me of what changed between him and the ending? I literally don't remember. Ashe had to deal with her dead husband, Vossler's betrayal, losing her entire kingdom and its legacy relics like the Dawn Shard (seriously half of the plot is carried by Ashe, most of the game is about her regaining her homeland and being crowned queen). And Basch is literally pretending to be his own brother and guard Larsa by the end!

I mean, I guess Vaan did get an airship of his own finally, but that seemed realllly lame in comparison to pretty much everyone else. Him and Penelo were always an item so nothing changed there despite how "coy" they were about it (Penelo is quite the trooper for following Vaan across the continent while a war is going on all game waiting for him to notice her availability, thanks Penelo)

Those are things that happen to Ashe and Balthier, they're not really tied to their growth as characters. Ashe basically succeeds in what she sets out to do from the moment you meet her in the sewers. Balthier already knew who we was, he just gets closure.

Vaan matures greatly from his initial thirst for revenge and learns a lot about the world. It's not like he ages 20 years and becomes this worldly sage, but he definitely shows the most personal growth.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Please remind me of what changed between him and the ending? I literally don't remember. Ashe had to deal with her dead husband, Vossler's betrayal, losing her entire kingdom and its legacy relics like the Dawn Shard (seriously half of the plot is carried by Ashe, most of the game is about her regaining her homeland and being crowned queen). And Basch is literally pretending to be his own brother and guard Larsa by the end! Balthier didn't need to change much because he openly stated that he was looking for treasure the whole time as an opportunist, this was another job for him (it helps that he actually had a personality going in so I'm giving him more of a pass than I would otherwise)

I mean, I guess Vaan did get an airship of his own finally, but that seemed realllly lame in comparison to pretty much everyone else. Him and Penelo were always an item so nothing changed there despite how "coy" they were about it (Penelo is quite the trooper for following Vaan across the continent while a war is going on all game waiting for him to notice her availability, thanks Penelo).

The only notable thing on top of my head is that conversation between Ashe and Vaan, which I guess help influence Ashe's decision later in the story ?

This is the (only) Vaan scene I like and wish the game had more of.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Those are things that happen to Ashe and Balthier, they're not really tied to their growth as characters. Ashe basically succeeds in what she sets out to do from the moment you meet her in the sewers. Balthier already knew who we was, he just gets closure.

Vaan matures greatly from his initial thirst for revenge and learns a lot about the world. It's not like he ages 20 years and becomes this worldly sage, but he definitely shows the most personal growth.

I'm not too sure about that. He went from being an incredibly boring one-note character (You killed my brother raaw!) to a slightly less but still incredibly boring character. Unlike Ashe and Basch, what personal history he has (Rex) is almost completely irrelevant to the game when the opening act is done, and unlike Balthier and Fran he doesn't (or shouldn't) have any reason for the group to take him along for their skills. Vaan and Penelo *should* be liabilities with no formal training or special abilities to help the group, and that's what still grates at me to this day. Why they had time to let a rando kid with issues "see the world" and get over himself when an infamous escaped convict, a notorious sky pirate, a viera exile and the would-be Queen they are all protecting are trying to deal with their own crap (aka a massive insurrection between multiple kingdoms entwined with the power to destroy the entire continent) is still a headscratcher to this day. And the end of him getting over himself was getting the FFXII version of a somewhat fancy car. Woo? Believe me when I say I would have complained just as much if Ashe's character consisted solely of avenging her dead husband, for example (and even then she still would have had more reason to be there than Vaan)

Ashe and Basch are both showing their growth the entire game by falling from their former graces and clawing back up to prove their worth despite everything thrown at them. Bathier is showing off cause he can I guess.

The only notable thing on top of my head is that conversation between Ashe and Vaan, which I guess help influence Ashe's decision later in the story ?

This is the (only) Vaan scene I like and wish the game had more of.

Actually, you know what? I did forget this and it wasn't bad at all.

We also have the "I'M CAPTAIN BASCH" meme, though I never thought that was as timeless as Tiduslaugh

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017
I guess it boils down to Reks having a much better motivation (and possibly better involvement) for the main story. Compared to Vaan whose story and motivation completely detached from the main story.
I disagree. I don't see how Reks motivation would be better or more fitting than Vaan's. Vaan's desire for revenge and hatred of the Empire due to Reks's death ties him to Basch and Ashe. Vaan's desire to be a Sky Pirate also originates from Reks's death and ties Vaan to Balthier and Fran. Reks would be far more detached from the story's themes and characters as he's just a do-good soldier who wants to protect his brother.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always confused by the insistance that Vaan is the main character throughout the game cause you can drop Vaan early on and then the story stops revolving around him. FFXII moves the main character from him to Ashe (followed by Basch and Balthiar) after Penelo is rescued. Like yes, he stops mattering in the grand scheme of things...but also that's the point of him by that point. He stops being the main character by that point so all this "why is he the main character" is just baffling to me.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
Well...wouldn't LIghtning be #2? At least before we go into sequel territory and becomes

the Knight of Etro for reasons?

I mean she was just a cop/military girl (?) before XIII starts.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Throughout FF history, you have had protagonists who have been chosen by fate, magic crystals, alien worlds, and royal bloodlines. They are usually joined by an assortment of regular people and others who have been "chosen" in different ways.

I've been playing Final Fantasy VIIR and came to the realization that Cloud is one of the least special FF protagonists. He was just a guy who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He ended up being Hojo's experiment and the rest is history. He has nothing on Vaan, obviously, but he has so little impact on the plot that, like others, just consider Ashe as the protagonist. But even she is special in the context of their world (a princess).

Who would you put as the "least special" FF protagonists?

Its Vaan and Penelo.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
It is definitely Vaan. If we count non-mainline games then most of the protagonists from Tactics such as Ramza count too I think.

I think you could perhaps make an argument for Squall in that he was a regular kid who (among others) were raised to fight sorceresses. His entire life was sort of guided through the school/training and he eventually makes it. While he is not really any sort of special chosen one with great power he was still lead up to the moment by various powers including the Gardens & Elone. In fact, Elone alone probably disqualifies him somewhat even if the rest of the party gets similar treatment. He is, I suppose, chosen by Rinoa.

Cloud is a it of a nobody but I'd argue that the lifestream has chosen him as a champion of sorts. Especially given that he gets visions from Aeris and Zack in Advent Children while he is straight up cured as he fights. I think only looking at the protagonist's origins is likely a mistake.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Cloud overpower and kill psycho Sephiroth pre-Jenova? I'd say he deserves at least a re-evaluation if we are questioning his special-ness