• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, you really should never want to see anything near 100% penetration on a system, except maybe right at launch (which of course did happen with BotW). Because that indicates a very narrow demographic, and that is lethal for a console. Any successful console will reach a broad, varied demographic, and that means, by definition, that even the most popular games will not come close to reaching everyone.

So...who are these people? Well, people not interested in those genres.

Maybe people who just want the simple indie games, like 2D stuff. My wife, for example, has zero interest in any game that is 3D. Too complicated for her.

Maybe people interested in fitness stuff, like the boxing game or Ring Fit.

Maybe people who are budget gamers - there are a LOT of people out there who simply will not pay $50-$60 for a game. They want games to be no more than $20. Nintendo has long since decided to stop selling to these people.

Maybe people who don't play long, involved games. Some people like bite-sized, pick-up-and-play games, a category that used to be particularly well-served by Nintendo's handhelds, and presumably that audience is now on Switch too.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Odyssey doesn't interest me at all, and I only really use a Switch. I'm more interested in 3D World and the 2D games.

Zero interest in Smash, Pokemon or Animal Crossing either. I did pick up Mario Kart 8 and BotW though, both fantastic games.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have a Switch, I don't care about the Zelda series at all. I have Odyssey though.

Jan 3, 2018
There's a thing called renting. My library gets big games nearly at launch and they're free to rent with no late fees.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Me. I purchased the switch with the only purpose of using it as an emulation machine, but i do own ring fit adventure.

Sol Mori

Jun 10, 2018
I bought a Switch for Rune Factory 5's eventual release and play other jrpgs. I don't really care for most Nintendo first party games.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I got a switch for the weird shit. Stuff like SMT5, No More Heroes, moon, etc. that doesn't have much chance of seeing a release outside the switch. Then indie stuff I like to play portable like Dead Cells.

ResignedBark

Banned
May 4, 2018
A lot of people resell their physical games after playing them. I would imagine a lot more than 1/3 has played these games.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Maybe people who just want the simple indie games, like 2D stuff. My wife, for example, has zero interest in any game that is 3D. Too complicated for her.
Ha that's my grandfather. Was really into gaming back when it was just a single joystick and a button but he didn't keep up so modern games are too much. Nowadays he watches the kids play the new stuff and just marvels at the tech.

sirronoh

Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of ridiculous. We are not a monolith, and we all don't like the same things.

For me, I happen to be interested in Zelda, but I also am in no rush to play it with all the PS4 and Switch games I own, so I simply didn't purchase it yet.

OP
OP
VashTheStampede
Jul 14, 2020
Most disgusting preconceived notion I read all day. Can't you really grasp the idea that consumers are individuals that doesn't follow norms that only enthusiast imagine it exists?

Also, people can share games.

Why would anyone buy a single player game instead of simply rent I don't know.

Most disgusting? Drama queen!
I get you're trying to understand other Switch gamers but these kinds of questions are a little patronizing, no? Not everyone thinks about gaming hardware like your average enthusiast (specs, online functionality, tentpole franchises, etc.). You're coming off a bit like "Why are you choosing to play these games on obviously inferior hardware?" Think about it for a few minutes.

If you're hearing "obviously inferior hardware" from the phrasing of my question, I think it says more about you than me.

Honestly, that though hasn't crossed my mind and I'm finding all the replies enlightening and fascinating. I'm juggling a few things right now so apologies in advance if my replies seem short.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
🙋‍♂️
BOTW never looked interesting to me. Besides Wind Waker and Zelda 2, I have never gotten into a zelda game, I do have odyssey as I bought the Odyssey switch

Kuyth

Jan 15, 2018
I bought my Switch last october with only Dragon Quest XI s and Smash Bros. Played WiiU version of BotW on my PC a while ago, a friend borrowed me Super Mario Oddissey and i'm not interested in Mario Kart. I'm playing Bayonetta 2 right now and is amazing. I am getting BotW 2 day one, for sure.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I played BotW on Wii U.
I don't like Mario Kart, and playing a 3D Mario on my Switch gives me pause because I only have a Switch Lite and I worry about the analog sticks.

This pretty much describes me, lol.

I mean I've bought other games, but I haven't gotten around to even trying them yet.

I'll say Mario Odyssey works pretty great in handheld mode, but it is nice to play on TV as well. Odyssey really didn't do much for me. It's fun but it felt more like something to casually tinker around in with the way it's structured and moons are distributed.

I did end up buying Moon and playing a bit of that this past week, but that felt like a surprise release this year and wasn't on my radar or part of my purchasing decision.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Believe it or not, but people can like/love the Switch and don't care about Nintendo first party games at all. More than enough games on the system to attract different people.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
I am one of them.
Played BOTW on Wii U and I don't want to spend 300 reais even if I really wanted to play Zelda on my Switch.

I spoiled myself to Mario Odyssey on Youtube and lost interest in the game, so I don't plan on buying it.

May 9, 2019
Me because Switch only allows like 3 games before memory gets full and I barely use it so buying more memory then buying two games which still shouldn't be $60 is something I'm not feeling up to. I also don't care for Mario games besides the Kart franchise.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
I didn't get Mario Odyssey.

I probably should've gotten it instead of Breath of the Wild, after playing it.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Why are core gamers always unable to see that there are people with different tastes than their own?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My brother had his first Switch stolen so he had to re-buy it so that explains one sale.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't bought Breath of the Wild on Switch yet because I played through it on WiiU at launch before I had a Switch. It's the kind of game I'd double dip on for a second playthrough if I could get it a bit cheaper. But, you know, Nintendo....

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Bruh. Not everyone wants those types of games (not to mention playing through botw on my buddy's switch was zzzzzzzzz, did not want that poo.) Also, I got the switch for portable rpgs.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Piracy, account sharing, families sharing the carts, people borrowing from friends, people who bought the games used, people who simply aren't interested in the games, people who won't pay $60 for a game, etc.

OP
OP
VashTheStampede
Jul 14, 2020
I mean, some of the 2/3 of Switch owners who don't own BotW own Odyssey, and some of the 2/3 of Switch owners who don't own Odyssey own BotW. Just because 2/3 of Switch owners don't own each game doesn't mean it's the same 2/3 for both. So this thread's entire premise – that there's ~45M Switch owners who don't own BotW or Odyssey — isn't supported by the data.

You're absolutely right - we don't know the overlap between the two populations. However, I didn't think I needed to prove my understanding of this dynamic since the underlying question is "what kind of Switch gamer doesn't buy these 2 IPs?"

I think most people are answering that question and it's been a ton of great answers so far.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I want Breath of the Wild,
I just dislike paying $80 cad + tax for games, and avoided the game due to lack of time and hearing how huge it is.

It's next on my list for Switch games, but I might wait until I can safely get a used copy for around $40.

I prioritized Marii Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Astral Chain, and Mario Maker 2, and mainly game on PC and Xbox, but I'll get there eventually.

OP
OP
VashTheStampede
Jul 14, 2020
It sold 2m units though, that's pretty good for a new JRPG IP, compare that to Fire Emblem's 2.87m and it's not far behind
www.resetera.com

Octopath Traveler Sells 2 Million Copies on Switch; 50% off Sale in EU/NA

I think this is new info. probably worldwide numbers on sale in North America as well https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/octopath-traveler-switch/ on sale on steam also best theme

Good call out. The 1.68m figure comes from geographies where Nintendo publishes the game. Square Enix must be the publisher in Japan for the other >400k.

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
Botw is incredible, but don't own Odyssey, as i've never been big into platformers or Mario games tbh (the last one i played was Mario 64 what like, 25 years ago?)

Oct 27, 2017
I know a couple people who only play Pokemon, and couldn't care less about stuff like Zelda, Animal Crossing or even Mario Kart. Other than that they would buy the odd third party game thats better on PS.