• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
People buy consoles for different reasons. It's always been like this. Look at the attach rate for older Nintendo systems and you'll notice a similar pattern.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I played BotW on Wii U.
I don't like Mario Kart, and playing a 3D Mario on my Switch gives me pause because I only have a Switch Lite and I worry about the analog sticks.

I bought a switch solely for Animal Crossing.
This pretty much describes me, lol.

I mean I've bought other games, but I haven't gotten around to even trying them yet.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Because I have BotW on Wii U and I'm not buying it again. Same with Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Pikmin...etc etc

I do have Odyssey though.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
So I own Odyssey, but I haven't played it yet. BotW is one of my favorite games, but I played on WiiU.

So I guess I technically fall into this group.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Here, not really interested in those series.

Got it mostly for the RPGs like Xenoblade DE, Fire Emblem and Pokemon.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have bought neither. Love Zelda, didn't like what I played. Will get if they ever do a selects line.

Never been big on Mario.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I think those are the people who aren't interested in those games. Or didn't buy them and played them by illegal means.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Like 90% of wii owners didn't get galaxy or twilight princess. A huge amount of these people are families or casuals.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I know tons of people who bought a Switch for Smash alone and AC alone. Not interested in anything else.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'd say mainly:

Multiple Switches per household​
Borrowing games off friends​
Buying second hand games​

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Those franchises all appeal to different audiences imo. So you gotta view them in combination.

Also BotW has nothing appealing to me. In such a big world I need a good story to guide me, which Zelda has always lacked for me.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not everyone cares about the same stuff man. I know a lot of folks who bought their Switches solely for Animal Crossing and Pokemon

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I didn't buy them. Mario games and newer Zelda games don't interest me.

I bought my Switch for Octopath Traveler
and Bayonetta 3.

maxresdefault.jpg

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I do own BotW -- it's pretty much the sole reason why I even got a switch, but I don't have any Mario games and never found the series super pressing to buy for. A friend was actually gonna send me her copy of Odyssey but it's been like two years now and she still hasn't sent it lol.

Tbh tho my switch collects dust for me more than anything. All I have on it are BotW, XB2 (which I ended up hating, so might as well not even count), and Octopath Traveler. /w\
I keep meaning to get the Link's Awakening remake and Astral Chain but haven't gotten around to it.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I bought a switch thinking it would get tons of playtime like my much loved PSP. Turns out my life is vastly different now and I have no need for a handheld. Any time I can be playing handheld I can more than likely be playing on a TV.

I've messed around with BotW on my nephews switch and I know enough about the game to know it's not for me. Other than metroidvanias I find platformers boring, not my genre at all. The only major Nintendo ip we have for the switch is Mario Kart which my son got for Christmas off someone.

Oct 27, 2017
Not a huge fan of 3D mario and I'd rather play generic ubi open world sfuff on my other consoles than botw

Only games I've really played so far in 2 years is

FE
Pokémon
Astral chain
Mario tabbids

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are lots of good games on Switch and people have a finite amount of time and money. Even though I love Nintendo, I haven't bought a first-party game since... Yoshi? I think? My wife got me Animal Crossing as a present but I'm very busy and she enjoys it so much that I just let her play it. It doesn't mean I'm not interested in the stuff Nintendo has put out, I just choose to buy and play different games with the limited amount of money and time that I have.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
hi, it's me (well technically I own breath of the wild since I got it as a gift, but I don't believe I've played it)

I have a switch for:
  • bayonetta 1+2+3 (that one should be obvious, if you look to the left)
  • fire emblem
  • octopath traveler
  • astral chain
  • tokyo mirage sessions
  • various indie games I'd like to be able to play in handheld mode, like baba is you
I genuinely just have no interest in mario games whatsoever, and never have, but there's enough other games I can't get anywhere else that the console was worth having

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Played Odyssey on my roommate's switch to completion (for me at least, not 100%, but beat the game) so I have no reason to buy it.

Also played a few hours of BOTW to know it's not a game I enjoy playing so no reason to buy that either.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I haven't played Zelda in ages, I generally prefer the 2D versions and I despise huge open world games. So BotW was dead on arrival for me.

I do own Odyssey since I bought the special Switch version were it was preinstalled - still haven't booted the game though.

Oh, and Mario Kart? I fell off during the Wii era. It's just not my cup of tea anymore.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo's IP is the reason to buy a Nintendo console, and Zelda and Mario have found new levels of success on the Switch
Most disgusting preconceived notion I read all day. Can't you really grasp the idea that consumers are individuals that doesn't follow norms that only enthusiast imagine it exists?

Also, people can share games.

Why would anyone buy a single player game instead of simply rent I don't know.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have BotW on Switch because I bought the Wii U version.

Mashdyno

Oct 27, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
We have 2 switches in our house. I bought BOTW at launch and sold it after I finished it. Got it again for my son for christmas last year. We have 1 copy of Odyssey that we kept. Assuming there is a fair bit of that going on.