• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Sam Herring from Future Islands is one of the most unique voices I have heard in a while.

He reminds of something that would have come out of the North of England in the 80's.

Haunting, almost alien.

Seeing them in concert is something else. Also just fucking dope music

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, yes for sure

My wife cannot deal with Kate Bush but I always let Wuthering Heights play ALL the way through

Kate Bush is fantastic for many songs, and especially as a standard bearer for weird voices everywhere.

She probably loves Joanna then, considering the similarities in both of their voices lol

My wife actually introduced me to Joanna Newsom almost in "can you believe how weird this girl's voice is?!" sort of way, but over the course of several years, I dwelled on how amazing the song was (Peach, Plum, Pear) and eventually finding myself owning all of her albums in various formats, and falling deeply in musical love with Joanna Newsom lol.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I discovered this band from Europe a couple years ago when news articles came out about them dying in a car crash on their very first American tour. They were really young and just starting out. Such a tragedy and a horrible way to discover one of my now favorite bands.

Anyways, the singer had a really unique way of singing. I can see it not being for everybody.

I mean look at how full of life they were... So friggin sad. Fuck drunk drivers.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
When I read the thread title I thought of:

Johnny Cash
Tom Waits
Etta James
Leonard Cohen
Elvis
Leadbelly
Dolly Parton
Willie Nelson
Stevie Nicks

Their style, cadence, and timing has been copied so often that now what they were doing that was original and unique is just part of the genre. Also whoever was the first jazz-inspired pop singers to use those vocal flourishes that would be picked up by modern pop singers like Amy Winehouse deserve credit, I just don't know enough to cite a name.

For contemporary music, I'm sure there's plenty but I think of Colin Meloy from the Decemberists and the guy from the Mountain Goats in particular.