• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_orzkg523rT1roi0oro1_1280.jpg

Delita did nothing wrong.

I want to kill Delita far more by the end of that game than I did with Agarth

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I know people hate the FFXIII set of games, but Caius is a real good villain.

And of course Emet-Selch for a variety of reasons, but the main one is that he single-handedly made the Ascians cool. They've been lame up until then. And now even Elidibus seems interesting because he legitimately muddies the waters of the entire story told thus far.

FFXIV is just awesome storytelling all around.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanna day that Kuja taking out his grief by saying "fuck it I'll kill everyone" felt very real and sympathetic. Obviously fucked up, but shit I felt sorry for the guy.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Not only is Emet Selch from FFXIV: Shadowbringers a better villain than Sephiroth or Kefka, he's a better villain than 99% of other villains in games.

latest

Won't go into spoilers here, but he's an incredibly well written, well acted and interesting villain, he is a huge part of what makes Shadowbringers great.

Not only that, his character enhances the game as a whole, and puts new context and sheds new light on previous characters, events and storylines in that game.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Let's not forget that Emet-Selch has the benefit of carrying almost a full decade of cryptic lore on his back. He's a great villain, but it's easy for him to be a favourite when he has so much material to tap from that other FF villains simply don't have. Like 90% of the plot's mysteries has been revealed through him.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
My solid vote definitely goes to Emet-Selch. He carried a shit-ton of mysterious lore and dropped bombshells with it, plus the fact that his personality and motivations are very high.

Also, if you include in terms of body count - him and his people have killed sheer billions of people.

Ardyn was really cool and had an awesome look and demeanor to him. I just wish there was more to him.

Last edited:

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Let's not forget that Emet-Selch has the benefit of carrying almost a full decade of cryptic lore on his back. He's a great villain, but it's easy for him to be a favourite when he has so much material to tap from that other FF villains simply don't have. Like 90% of the plot's mysteries has been revealed through him.
that's part of why he's so well-liked, i think
he actually gives answers to why the ascians are doing what they're doing, in ways that make sense
it gives the whole thing a sense of catharsis and payoff

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Emet-Selch.

Actually, I'd argue he's a better written character than either Kefka or Sephiroth.

Last edited:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The crazy thing about Emet Selch was that people disliked him going into Shadowbringers.

His first appearance just gave people the impression that he's just going to be another smirking evil villain.

So really the writer gave herself a big handicapped going into the expansion and somehow turned it around

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
The crazy thing about Emet Selch was that people disliked him going into Shadowbringers.

His first appearance just gave people the impression that he's just going to be another smirking villain.

So really the writer gave herself a handicapped going into the expansion and somehow turned it around
Natsuko Ishikawa is the best writer at Square Enix by a country mile
i want Kazushige Nojima to take books worth of notes from her

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I know people hate the FFXIII set of games, but Caius is a real good villain.

And of course Emet-Selch for a variety of reasons, but the main one is that he single-handedly made the Ascians cool. They've been lame up until then. And now even Elidibus seems interesting because he legitimately muddies the waters of the entire story told thus far.

FFXIV is just awesome storytelling all around.

Seriously. Before Emet the Ascian storyline was that thing in the game that made you go: "Oh right, these guys. Almost forgot about 'em" because all the other stories were far more interesting. Then Emet comes around and the Ascian storyline jumps up in popularity and makes the whole thing so much better.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Natsuko Ishikawa is the best writer at Square Enix by a country mile
i want Kazushige Nojima to take books worth of notes from her
Let's not forget that Kazutoyo Maehiro wrote the stellar Heavensward expansion. The journey through Dravania with Estinien, Ysayle and Alphinaud were some of the best moments of FFXIV.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Emet, Kuja, and Ardyn are all very solid

I also like Golbez a lot, he just doesn't get much material to work with because SNES game. I'd love to see a full fledged remake of FFIV one day to see what extra scenes they could give him and Cecil.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Magus.

Square put Chrono Trigger in a Final Fantasy collection disc on PS1. It counts

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Ultimecia, but only because I head-canon the Rinoa=Ultimecia theory, no matter what the devs say about it =P I'm a sucker for tragic love stories.

3cbd48d9af0f26c38cba03a85ac4ce22.png